Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any advice on under-floor heating (UFH)?

I am planning to install under-floor heating in my kitchen/dining-room
(approximately 22 feet x 12 feet) and want to heat the room with it. It
would go under new tile and over concrete substrate. I would appreciate any
comments on the wisdom of this decision, and input on water v. electric, and
the various systems on the market.

Cheers, Adrian

"I am more the inspirational type of speller. I work on hunches rather than
mere facts, and the result is sometimes open to criticism by purists."
Robert Benchley

Posted to uk.d-i-y

canadrian wrote:
I am planning to install under-floor heating in my kitchen/dining-room
(approximately 22 feet x 12 feet) and want to heat the room with it. It
would go under new tile and over concrete substrate. I would appreciate any
comments on the wisdom of this decision, and input on water v. electric, and
the various systems on the market.

Cheers, Adrian

"I am more the inspirational type of speller. I work on hunches rather than
mere facts, and the result is sometimes open to criticism by purists."
Robert Benchley

Unless you have room to install at least 50mm of insulation under 75mm
of screed, forget the whole idea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

canadrian wrote:
I am planning to install under-floor heating in my kitchen/dining-room
(approximately 22 feet x 12 feet) and want to heat the room with it. It
would go under new tile and over concrete substrate. I would appreciate any
comments on the wisdom of this decision, and input on water v. electric, and
the various systems on the market.

Cheers, Adrian

"I am more the inspirational type of speller. I work on hunches rather than
mere facts, and the result is sometimes open to criticism by purists."
Robert Benchley

I opted for a wet system connected to my central heating via its own
pump and mixing valve, but I had the whole floor up back to bare earth
in order to put down 100mm of insulation, new concrete slab and a thick
screed to take the heating pipes.

Retrofitting UFH is not easy if you have uninsulated concrete floors.
Don't bother unless you're prepared to take the floor up and put in
adequate insulation, otherwise you'll just be heating up the ground
underneath your house.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am planning to install under-floor heating in my kitchen/dining-room
(approximately 22 feet x 12 feet) and want to heat the room with it. It
would go under new tile and over concrete substrate. I would appreciate
any
comments on the wisdom of this decision, and input on water v. electric,
and
the various systems on the market.

You need lots of insulation and a plastic water based system. Don't even
think of electric. If you can't fit the insulation and pipework, use
radiators instead of UFH.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"canadrian" wrote in message

I am planning to install under-floor heating in my kitchen/dining-room
(approximately 22 feet x 12 feet) and want to heat the room with it. It
would go under new tile and over concrete substrate. I would appreciate

any
comments on the wisdom of this decision, and input on water v. electric,

and
the various systems on the market.

Cheers, Adrian

"I am more the inspirational type of speller. I work on hunches rather

than
mere facts, and the result is sometimes open to criticism by purists."
Robert Benchley

An aunt of mine had electric under-floor heating in her council flat and
even at 1960s prices when a Unit was a few old pence, it was horrendously
expensive to run. I think you'd need to be a millionaire to afford it at
today's prices.

In the end, the Council disconnected it in all the flats and installed
conventional central heating.

I saw the water variety being installed in a DIY TV programme once and it
didn't look too difficult.

Whatever you do, don't get Makers UK Ltd to do it - or anything else. I'm
still waiting for them to finish a four-week job that they started on
January 10th. *2005*!!!