Posted to alt.home.repair
flir67 flir67 is offline

Default A/C Heating - Need bipartisan advice!

On Nov 10, 9:32*am, ransley wrote:
On Nov 10, 2:18*am, flir67 wrote:

On Nov 8, 3:01*pm, "olddog" wrote:

Looks like my A/C Heating unit may be toast. (1700 sq ft house, natural gas,
Austin TX)

I was already warned my a/c was on it's last leg because we had to put in
4.5lbs of Freon this summer.

I went to turn on my heater this morning and it wouldn't come on. It just
made a buzzing noise. I felt the blower motor and it was hot so I turned it
off, spun it and it came on but with a new grinding noise and water (!) came
out of the vent! So I immediately shut it off.

I'm pretty much resigned to buying a new unit and I have the money saved for
it.

Where would you start? I've read horror stories about incompetent
installers. I want a licensed professional and I don't mind paying for it.

I've seen some ads for Goodman's starting at $3750 installed. Is that too
cheap?

TIA

Olddog

my hvac system just went out this summer. the most important thing you
can do is find a good installer with knowledge, ask
friends,bosses,etc. 2nd, is to find a matching system that you like. I
had a 30 year old singer die, and decided to do the whole thing.
research,research,research. down to model numbers when they deliver
the unit and plop it down in the driveway go out and get the serial
numbers off of the box. I did and put them stickers on the unit after
install

I ended up going with a carrier infinity model 80,000btu *all the way
with a 3.5 ton a/c. before I was using a 1 ton. remember things are
getting cooler anymore (global warming) so go larger for the a/c unit.
the digital controls and upgrades are awesome and get a furance with
hepa filter. this is for a 2400sqft home.

I did so much research I ****ed off the installer guy by being a know
it all. they did a awesome install job. I dropped close to 7 grand on
it.- Hide quoted text -

*What did the load calculation state you needed. *You didnt research
enough, you had a 1 ton AC before and now have 3.5 ton AC, if that 1
ton cooled your home at all decently you have just left yourself with
a future of an uncomfortable home in summer, it will be very humid and
clammy. ACs should be sized to run nearly 100% on your hottest day,
humidity removal all summer cant be achieved on an oversized unit. My
AC is oversized and it sucks so bad I run 2-Two dehumidifiers, I
insulated after the instal so it was my mistake. If you read and
learned you would of had a load calculation done and followed what it
said on sizing. Global warming, *think insulation.

the old system was unsized. the new system is working fine, humity is
about 50% on a 90 degree day.....sorry for the misinterpretation of
what I typed.