Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default A/C Heating - Need bipartisan advice!

"retired54" wrote in message

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

RBM wrote:

"olddog" wrote in message
Looks like my A/C Heating unit may be toast. (1700 sq ft house,
natural
gas, Austin TX)

I was already warned my a/c was on it's last leg because we had to put
in
4.5lbs of Freon this summer.

I went to turn on my heater this morning and it wouldn't come on. It
just
made a buzzing noise. I felt the blower motor and it was hot so I
turned
it off, spun it and it came on but with a new grinding noise and water
(!)
came out of the vent! So I immediately shut it off.

I'm pretty much resigned to buying a new unit and I have the money
saved
for it.

Where would you start? I've read horror stories about incompetent
installers. I want a licensed professional and I don't mind paying for
it.

I've seen some ads for Goodman's starting at $3750 installed. Is that
too
cheap?

TIA

Olddog
What you really need to do, is find out who's good, reliable, and
reasonably
priced, in your area. I'd suggest calling friends and neighbors. If you
know
other types of contractors, plumbers, electricians, etc, call them too,
and
see if they know HVAC people that they like

Absolutely. It is far more difficult to find a good contractor than to
find a good unit. When you find a good contractor they will be able to
provide you with a range of options and explain the pros and cons of
each.

Yes..That's what I've heard. I've read the installer matters more than the
brand of the unit. I have a feeling that's why I'm having problems now.

My main problem is I'm new here and I don't have very many contacts. My
wife knows one contractor's wife that lives in Georgetown (couple miles
north) but I still don't know how to check them out. The BBB?

Do you think it's appropriate to ask to see the installer's license?

I got the heater running and I sprayed some contact spray in the motor.
It's still making a grinding noise but maybe the contact spray needs to
work it's way in. Sure heated the house quickly!

Thanks

Olddog

It's NEVER, not appropriate to ask for any contractor's license. That being
said, in many areas getting a license can be little more than paying a fee.
Certainly the BBB may know of the most horrendous contractors, but not the
really good ones. You may want to let this NG know where you live, at the
off chance someone here knows of someone there.