Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C Heating - Need bipartisan advice!

retired54 wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
retired54 wrote:
Yes..That's what I've heard. I've read the installer matters more
than the brand of the unit. I have a feeling that's why I'm having
problems now.
My main problem is I'm new here and I don't have very many contacts.
My wife knows one contractor's wife that lives in Georgetown (couple
miles north) but I still don't know how to check them out. The BBB?

Do you think it's appropriate to ask to see the installer's license?

I got the heater running and I sprayed some contact spray in the
motor. It's still making a grinding noise but maybe the contact spray
needs to work it's way in. Sure heated the house quickly!

If your hand will fit a wrench, you should be able to replace the motor
for a couple of hundred dollars.

Remove the old motor, take it to Graingers, say: "Gimme one like this."

The motor looks like it *could* be easily replaced. I was wondering how it
is attached to the fan and do I need to remove the fan housing?

Olddog

If you can disconnect the wires and mark them,
the whole squirrel cage blower assembly can be
taken out by removing a couple of sheet metal
screws or hex nuts then sliding the blower out
of the furnace. Afterwards, the motor can be
removed from the housing. Around here most of
us take the whole thing to one of the local
electric motor shops to get the motor changed
out, tested and the squirrel cage wheel and
blower housing sandblasted clean.

TDD