Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Magic Jack and a power hub

I sent my Magic Jack back because sometimes it worked, and sometimes
it didn't. As I have said, I really wanted it to work. Who would not
want to give up a 35$/month phone bill for one that is 20$/year?

One thing I didn't try that I could have to improve the service was
purchase a powered USB hub.

Another thing Magic Jack could do without actually improving the
product would be to offer a rock solid voice mail system. If I had
one part of Magic Jack that I knew I could count on, it might have
persuaded me to keep it. I could put up with hit and miss on the
outgoing calls, but unreliable incoming calls is unacceptable.

Return postage was less than 3 bucks, so test driving it was not
really expensive. I just taped the RMA to the package and shipped it
back.

I would like to hear from people that do have a powered hub that have
tried MJ, or anyone that has reliable service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:30:02 -0400, metspitzer
wrote:

[...]

I forgot to add, I learned this after I sent mine back.

You can call 909-390-0003 with your MJ and it will repeat everything
you say back to you. It would have been handy to be able to use
without having to use my friends for test calls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
I would like to hear from people that do have a powered hub that have
tried MJ, or anyone that has reliable service.

What is your pc speed and memory? USB 2.0? What
speed broadband? O/S? What else do you have plugged
into USB that drains 5 volt power?

After a month of MJ use, I cancelled Mudder Bell and good
riddance. Have a prepaid cellphone, for 'just in case'.
I run a panasonic cordless (ac powered base) off the MJ
which is plugged directly into an Intel MB. 6/2 Mb cable
broadband gives great voice quality.

If you really want feedback go to the MagicJack forum on
http://dslreports.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:47:11 -0500, "Leroy"
wrote:

metspitzer wrote:
I would like to hear from people that do have a powered hub that have
tried MJ, or anyone that has reliable service.

What is your pc speed and memory? USB 2.0? What
speed broadband? O/S? What else do you have plugged
into USB that drains 5 volt power?

1GHz Athlon - 512K - USB 2.0 - 5M/512k Windoze XP.
No other USB devices. No virus software, or anything else running. I
gave it exclusive use of my spare computer for 2 weeks.

AT&T 5Ghz cordless with extra handset.

I also got great quality, sometimes. It was the other times I gave up
on.

After a month of MJ use, I cancelled Mudder Bell and good
riddance. Have a prepaid cellphone, for 'just in case'.
I run a panasonic cordless (ac powered base) off the MJ
which is plugged directly into an Intel MB. 6/2 Mb cable
broadband gives great voice quality.

If you really want feedback go to the MagicJack forum on
http://dslreports.com

You didn't say if you used a powered usb hub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:47:11 -0500, "Leroy" What is your pc speed and
memory? USB 2.0? What
speed broadband? O/S? What else do you have plugged
into USB that drains 5 volt power?

1GHz Athlon - 512K - USB 2.0 - 5M/512k Windoze XP.
No other USB devices. No virus software, or anything else running. I
gave it exclusive use of my spare computer for 2 weeks.

AT&T 5Ghz cordless with extra handset.

cpu speed is close to the minimum suggested, did you
monitor cpu % utilization? Did you try the MJ on
another box, preferably at a different broadband
connection?

After a month of MJ use, I cancelled Mudder Bell and good
riddance. Have a prepaid cellphone, for 'just in case'.
I run a panasonic cordless (ac powered base) off the MJ
which is plugged directly into an Intel MB. 6/2 Mb cable
broadband gives great voice quality.

If you really want feedback go to the MagicJack forum on
http://dslreports.com

You didn't say if you used a powered usb hub.

see above: ". . MJ which is plugged directly into an Intel MB."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

metspitzer wrote:
I would like to hear from people that do have a powered hub that have
tried MJ, or anyone that has reliable service.

What is your pc speed and memory? USB 2.0? What
speed broadband? O/S? What else do you have plugged
into USB that drains 5 volt power?

After a month of MJ use, I cancelled Mudder Bell and good
riddance. Have a prepaid cellphone, for 'just in case'.
I run a panasonic cordless (ac powered base) off the MJ
which is plugged directly into an Intel MB. 6/2 Mb cable
broadband gives great voice quality.

If you really want feedback go to the MagicJack forum on
http://dslreports.com

That is not a Magic Jack forum. You probably mean
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/magicjack
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
If you really want feedback go to the MagicJack forum on
http://dslreports.com

That is not a Magic Jack forum. You probably mean
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/magicjack

I meant what I wrote, "go to the MagicJack forum on
dslreports.com." Yes, that involves clicking on Forums on
the home page and then clicking on MagicJack under VOIP.
Not much of a step for a stepper g.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:17:00 -0500, "Leroy"
wrote:

cpu speed is close to the minimum suggested, did you
monitor cpu % utilization? Did you try the MJ on
another box, preferably at a different broadband
connection?

Yeah, I used Fast Defrag. It reported anywhere from 5 to 15% with
nothing loaded. I tried it on the only computer that stays on 24/7.

The fact that some calls were crystal clear and some were crap, pretty
much convinced me it was not my computer. Outgoing calls were more
reliable than incoming.

The DSL reports forum with hit and miss results confirmed my
suspicions. I think there are too many sock puppets at the DSL
reports site to be unbiased. I also get too many people trying to
steer me there.

It is not there yet. I really, really wish it were. A powered hub
would have been a small cost to try, but I didn't. I really have no
other need for a powered hub. Maybe others will, and report positive
results.

Maybe with rock solid voice mail it might be a keeper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
Yeah, I used Fast Defrag. It reported anywhere from 5 to 15% with
nothing loaded. I tried it on the only computer that stays on 24/7.

The fact that some calls were crystal clear and some were crap, pretty
much convinced me it was not my computer. Outgoing calls were more
reliable than incoming.

Your computer seems more than adequate and if your
USB ports are lightly loaded, I doubt if a powered hub
would help much.

Contributing factors may be your ISP and where you're
accessing MJ servers. I may be fortunate to be on a
hookup with minimal delays and sustained good transfer
rates. Speed tests are poor barometers for voip performance,
since they're typically an average rate for big transfers.

Since MJ is apparently growing rapidly, they will be
constantly tuning their networks and load balancing.
Have you asked if others on your ISP and in your area
are using MJ and what results they got?

Good luck,
Leroy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 5:54*pm, "Leroy" wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
[...]

what is THE MAGIC JACK ? a car jack ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

cpu speed is close to the minimum suggested, did you
monitor cpu % utilization? Did you try the MJ on
another box, preferably at a different broadband
connection?

Yeah, I used Fast Defrag. It reported anywhere from 5 to 15% with
nothing loaded. I tried it on the only computer that stays on 24/7.

The fact that some calls were crystal clear and some were crap, pretty
much convinced me it was not my computer. Outgoing calls were more
reliable than incoming.

The DSL reports forum with hit and miss results confirmed my
suspicions. I think there are too many sock puppets at the DSL
reports site to be unbiased. I also get too many people trying to
steer me there.

Seems to be the usual thing you run into with this sort of thing. People
get all excited about cheap and won't admit there are flaws mixed in
with the sock puppets equals useless.

It is not there yet. I really, really wish it were.

I didn't bother for a couple reasons. It uses an advertising driven
model which has never proven to be successful. Can you think of one of
the "free" or really cheap ad driven ISPs that are still around?

Second reason is I can't see leaving a computer on continuously just to
use the phone.

A powered hub
would have been a small cost to try, but I didn't. I really have no
other need for a powered hub. Maybe others will, and report positive
results.

Maybe with rock solid voice mail it might be a keeper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2008 3:47 PM George spake thus:

metspitzer wrote:

It is not there yet. I really, really wish it were.

Second reason is I can't see leaving a computer on continuously just to
use the phone.

I'm wondering if this wouldn't be a good use for a tiny, stand-alone PC
in a little box, no keyboard or monitor, say a 4-line LCD display and a
few buttons. Someone could build something like this on a single board
using ASICs for next to nothing, to power stuff like this that requires
an always-on computer.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
metspitzer wrote:

The fact that some calls were crystal clear and some were crap,
pretty much convinced me it was not my computer.

Yet you did not try the MJ on another computer, preferably
at another location to further isolate or define the problem?
Here's a good site to test your box/connections 'capability'
for voip with no voip hardware needed:

http://www.testyourvoip.com/

I've never got less than a 4.3 rating, on the 0-5 scale. Again
this is with no voip hardware.

The DSL reports forum with hit and miss results confirmed my
suspicions. I think there are too many sock puppets at the DSL
reports site to be unbiased.

Who are the sock puppets? Those who are satisfied with MJ?
That is funny. Realize that there are probably thousands of
users who aren't aware of forums who just plugged the sucker
in and it worked. People without questions don't seek out
forums. I did before ordering it because I'm a geek.

I also get too many people trying to steer me there.

Now, that is irony. You ask questions and there are *too*
many suggestions of dslreports? Must be a conspiracy, huh?
g dslreports is probably the most widely known source
of computer communications info. There's another forum
at http://unofficialmagicjack.forum2u.org/ , but I won't suggest
it because that might make me a sock puppet. g

I didn't bother for a couple reasons. It uses an advertising driven
model which has never proven to be successful. Can you think of one of
the "free" or really cheap ad driven ISPs that are still around?

Not many want an ad-driven ISP with some dsl packages as low
as ten bucks per month. many 'ad-driven' models are successful,
Google, Yahoo, MySpace, YouTube, etc. Not to mention radio
and TV?

Second reason is I can't see leaving a computer on continuously just to
use the phone.

I've always had a computer on while I'm at home and awake, so
the 3 watts for the MJ is nothing. With the monitor in 'conserve'
my modem, router, and pc use less than 160 wtts. While
away or asleep, I power it down and MJ voice mail catches
the calls. Not the world's best VM by far, but it's intelligible and
MJ even emails the messages to my gmail account.

The 30 day free trial makes it very low risk to try. I've had MJ
for a little over a month and am quite satisfied with it. 20 bucks
per year for local and LD. Beats the heck out of a $35 per month
land line with absolutely *NO* features.

I may just be lucky being in the right location for the MJ network,
who knows, but, for me it's a helluva bargain.

Leroy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 20:01:39 -0500, "Leroy"
wrote:

George wrote:
metspitzer wrote:

The fact that some calls were crystal clear and some were crap,
pretty much convinced me it was not my computer.

Yet you did not try the MJ on another computer, preferably
at another location to further isolate or define the problem?
Here's a good site to test your box/connections 'capability'
for voip with no voip hardware needed:

How many computers and homes are you required to have for Magic Jack?
I need it to work at my house with my connection on my computer.

You say thousands plug it in and it works, but the forum suggest an
infinite amount of things to try if you don't have success.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How many computers and homes are you required to have for Magic Jack?
I need it to work at my house with my connection on my computer.

Other home/computer suggestion was to help you determine if
your connection is to blame or the MJ hardware is to blame.

How does your computer fare at: http://www.testyourvoip.com/ ?
A quick test, java required, but no registration.

You say thousands plug it in and it works, but the forum suggest an
infinite amount of things to try if you don't have success.

Infinite might be a tad overstatement. g Do realize that the forums
cover a period of over a year and a lot of glitches have been worked
out in the hardware, client software, and network during that
period. And again, folks typically go to forums with problems,
not successes.

Leroy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:47:32 -0500, "Leroy"
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
If you really want feedback go to the MagicJack forum on
http://dslreports.com

That is not a Magic Jack forum. You probably mean
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/magicjack

I meant what I wrote, "go to the MagicJack forum on
dslreports.com." Yes, that involves clicking on Forums on
the home page and then clicking on MagicJack under VOIP.
Not much of a step for a stepper g.

You left out the hunting expedition (at each point in the above, you
have to search for what you think is the proper link). It would be
very easy (for someone like you, who knows) to provide the proper
link.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"
Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:

It is not there yet. I really, really wish it were.

Second reason is I can't see leaving a computer on continuously just
to use the phone.

I'm wondering if this wouldn't be a good use for a tiny, stand-alone PC
in a little box, no keyboard or monitor, say a 4-line LCD display and a
few buttons. Someone could build something like this on a single board
using ASICs for next to nothing, to power stuff like this that requires
an always-on computer.

They already make dedicated, inexpensive, low power usage adapters for
VoIP called ATAs (Analog Telephone Adapters).

Magicjack requires a power wasting computer because it is ad driven. The
way it is supposed to work is that they display ads on your computer
which are supposed to pay for the service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
You left out the hunting expedition (at each point in the above, you
have to search for what you think is the proper link). It would be
very easy (for someone like you, who knows) to provide the proper
link.

You're right, I was in a hurry, and didn't give the full url.
"Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, Teach him to fish . . ."

leroy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How many computers and homes are you required to have for Magic Jack?
I need it to work at my house with my connection on my computer.

Other home/computer suggestion was to help you determine if
your connection is to blame or the MJ hardware is to blame.

How does your computer fare at:http://www.testyourvoip.com/?
A quick test, java required, but no registration.

You say thousands plug it in and it works, but the forum suggest an
infinite amount of things to try if you don't have success.

Infinite might be a tad overstatement. g *Do realize that the forums
cover a period of over a year and a lot of glitches have been worked
out in the hardware, client software, and network during that
period. *And again, folks typically go to forums with problems,
not successes.

Leroy

The forum messages are in descending chronological order.

I do understand that problems are much more common. Unfortunately, my
solution was to sent it back.

It didn't cost too much for a test drive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Magicjack requires a power wasting computer because it is ad driven.
The way it is supposed to work is that they display ads on your
computer which are supposed to pay for the service.

???. In over 5 months of use I've never seen an ad

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2008 9:31 PM Marina spake thus:

"Dave Bugg" wrote in
:

George wrote:

Magicjack requires a power wasting computer because it is ad driven.
The way it is supposed to work is that they display ads on your
computer which are supposed to pay for the service.

???. In over 5 months of use I've never seen an ad

No ads here, either.

Did you pay for the service? Maybe the pop-up ads are only if you try it
for free (like Skype and nonoh.net)?

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a
wasteland.' But Lyndon Johnson said: 'No! No! No! Don't you dare do
that. Let ME do it.'"

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Magicjack requires a power wasting computer because it is ad driven.
The way it is supposed to work is that they display ads on your
computer which are supposed to pay for the service.

???. In over 5 months of use I've never seen an ad

No ads here, either.

Did you pay for the service? Maybe the pop-up ads are only if you try it
for free (like Skype and nonoh.net)?

No, the ads have not started yet, but the TOS indicates that they
can serve ads. I suspect the ads will be served into an
area on the left hand side of the MJ GUI. This GUI is not large
at all and only pops up from the taskbar when the phone
rings or when you get a dialtone from an attached phone.
(This is when you have MJ set to use a phone rather than
a headset). When MJ is set to use a headset, the gui
pops up upon an incoming call or by clicking MJ in the
taskbar to place an outgoing call. If the gui is open, it
can be minized to the taskbar at any time.

I run my widesceen monitor in 1280 x 768 and the
gui, when set to small size, occupies about 1/9 of the desktop
area. Not obtrusive at all, and the popup upon ring is
handy, it lets you see the number of the calling party.
The name of the caller is shown, too, if you've put
that name/number into the MJ contacts.

I've only seen two 'ads' if you want to call them that
and they're simply information for the MJ user. Looks
like the 'ad feed' is in place, but true ads have not
begun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:
George wrote:

Magicjack requires a power wasting computer because it is ad driven.
The way it is supposed to work is that they display ads on your
computer which are supposed to pay for the service.

???. In over 5 months of use I've never seen an ad

Maybe they haven't sold any yet or since they are in the burn up the
investors money stage maybe they are waiting to start sending them. The
reason that you need a power wasting computer instead of a flea power
ATA to make and receive calls is because their business model is to have
an ad driven service.

As I said before can you remember any of the free or cheap ISPs that had
an ad driven model?
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

As I said before can you remember any of the free or cheap ISPs that had
an ad driven model?

MJ is not an ISP. And as I said before, many companies offer
services that are funded by ads including radio, tv, google,
yahoo, and tens of thousands of websites. Just what is your
point? Do you think MJ is destined to fail, is illegal, immoral,
or fattening because it plans to supplement income with ads?
Just what is your objection, if any?

Leroy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 21:30:57 -0500, "Leroy"
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
You left out the hunting expedition (at each point in the above, you
have to search for what you think is the proper link). It would be
very easy (for someone like you, who knows) to provide the proper
link.

You're right, I was in a hurry, and didn't give the full url.
"Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, Teach him to fish . . ."

leroy

Thanks. A lot of people wouldn't be nice enough to apologize.

Good quotation, too.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 8:51 am, "Leroy" wrote:
George wrote:

As I said before can you remember any of the free or cheap ISPs that had
an ad driven model?

MJ is not an ISP. And as I said before, many companies offer
services that are funded by ads including radio, tv, google,
yahoo, and tens of thousands of websites. Just what is your
point? Do you think MJ is destined to fail, is illegal, immoral,
or fattening because it plans to supplement income with ads?
Just what is your objection, if any?

Leroy

Did any of you try to use a FAX with Magic Jack? I use the FAX a lot
but very few long distance calls....I saw it advertised on TV and
looked interesting. The FAQ section had "maybe it will work and
maybe it won't" sort of response.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
Did any of you try to use a FAX with Magic Jack? I use the FAX a lot

but very few long distance calls....I saw it advertised on TV and
looked interesting. The FAQ section had "maybe it will work and
maybe it won't" sort of response.

That's also the feedback at the MagicJack forums, it works for
some and not for others. Only way to find out is to try it
with your broadband connection and your FAX. Do the
thirty day free trial and return it if not satisfied.

You can get a rough idea if your PC and connection is up to snuff
for VOIP at this place, Java required for test, no registration needed:

http://www.testyourvoip.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Leroy wrote:
George wrote:

As I said before can you remember any of the free or cheap ISPs that had
an ad driven model?

MJ is not an ISP. And as I said before, many companies offer
services that are funded by ads including radio, tv, google,
yahoo, and tens of thousands of websites. Just what is your
point? Do you think MJ is destined to fail, is illegal, immoral,
or fattening because it plans to supplement income with ads? Just what
is your objection, if any?

Leroy

I never claimed they were an ISP but their business model is very
similar to what the "free" and "cheap" ISPs had. You paid a lower rate
because theoretically the ads that you were required to watch would pay
the difference. They are also similar because unlike tv for example
there is additional cost for the provider with each subscriber because
they have to assign a phone number and there is cost to place calls
especially off of their own network that increases with use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Leroy wrote:

MJ is not an ISP. And as I said before, many companies offer
services that are funded by ads including radio, tv, google,
yahoo, and tens of thousands of websites. Just what is your
point? Do you think MJ is destined to fail, is illegal, immoral,
or fattening because it plans to supplement income with ads? Just what
is your objection, if any?

I never claimed they were an ISP but their business model is very
similar to what the "free" and "cheap" ISPs had. You paid a lower rate
because theoretically the ads that you were required to watch would pay
the difference. They are also similar because unlike tv for example
there is additional cost for the provider with each subscriber because
they have to assign a phone number and there is cost to place calls
especially off of their own network that increases with use.

And, unlike TV, (unless you're in a country where you pay a TV
'tax'), MJ charges a subscription for each MJ connection. So?
I guess I'm dense. Are you saying MJ is destined to failure because
other ventures that sold ads failed? Not a justified conclusion, in
my mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Leroy wrote:
George wrote:
Leroy wrote:

[...]

Obviously I hit a raw nerve. You really *want* this to work and view any
comments as an attack rather than an observation from someone who does
understand what is required to run a VoIP business and why it is very
likely magicjack has an unsustainable business model. No examples I give
will ever make any sense to you because you want to believe that
magicjack is somehow "magic".

Lets just agree to disagree.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Been running MJ on a powered USB hub since February. Call quality is
fine and dependability seems OK. I used to have to unplug/plug in the
MJ box to reset it every couple of days, but the latest software
update seemed to have eased that. Sometimes when I haven't used it
for a while, it takes maybe a second for the dial tone to start, which
for the price, I can live with that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Magicjack requires a power wasting computer because it is ad
driven. The way it is supposed to work is that they display ads on
your computer which are supposed to pay for the service.

???. In over 5 months of use I've never seen an ad

No ads here, either.

Did you pay for the service? Maybe the pop-up ads are only if you try
it for free (like Skype and nonoh.net)?

I don't think you know how MJ actually works. I bought the usb unit, paid
the 20.00 yearly fee. As far as I know there are no 'free' trials.... there
is a return of purchase if not satisfied. I'm happy as a clam with the MJ so
I've never returned mine.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
George wrote:

Magicjack requires a power wasting computer because it is ad driven.
The way it is supposed to work is that they display ads on your
computer which are supposed to pay for the service.

???. In over 5 months of use I've never seen an ad

Maybe they haven't sold any yet or since they are in the burn up the
investors money stage maybe they are waiting to start sending them.
The reason that you need a power wasting computer instead of a flea
power ATA to make and receive calls is because their business model
is to have an ad driven service.

If that should begin, I could care less. Although the gui for MJ opens when
you dial, you don't need the gui to dial. It is small when it does open, and
it doesn't interfere with my use of the computer when I call.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

I never claimed they were an ISP but their business model is very
similar to what the "free" and "cheap" ISPs had. You paid a lower rate
because theoretically the ads that you were required to watch would
pay the difference.

So you are claiming that I won't be able to make or recieve a phone call
until I watch an ad? Do you really think anyone sits and watches their
dialer gui while making a call? I don't get what your issue is here.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:
George wrote:

I never claimed they were an ISP but their business model is very
similar to what the "free" and "cheap" ISPs had. You paid a lower rate
because theoretically the ads that you were required to watch would
pay the difference.

So you are claiming that I won't be able to make or recieve a phone call
until I watch an ad? Do you really think anyone sits and watches their
dialer gui while making a call? I don't get what your issue is here.

I don't have an issue. Is there some issue about discussing how
something actually works?

The subscription fee isn't even close to anywhere near the actual cost
of providing the service. The reason they chose the energy wasting idea
of having a computer running is so they could display ads. There is no
technical reason to have a full blown computer running for VoIP. All of
the functions are typically implemented in a tiny box that has a network
port and a phone port. Right now they are burning up investors money
and the next step is they will need to turn on the ads. That is their
business model. There is nothing magical about magicjack. It is the
exact same model that was used by the "cheap and free" ISPs that are now
nothing by a vague memory. I agree that I couldn't be bothered watching
an ad in order to make a call but that is the business model.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2008 6:43 AM George spake thus:

Dave Bugg wrote:

George wrote:

[...]

Pardon my confusion, as I don't know exactly how this thing works, but
if it's true, as D. Bugg says, that one needn't watch the screen at all
for incoming calls, couldn't one just use the tiny network box for this?
Or is there some user interface interaction required to take and place
calls?

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a
wasteland.' But Lyndon Johnson said: 'No! No! No! Don't you dare do
that. Let ME do it.'"

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
George wrote:

I never claimed they were an ISP but their business model is very
similar to what the "free" and "cheap" ISPs had. You paid a lower
rate because theoretically the ads that you were required to watch
would pay the difference.

So you are claiming that I won't be able to make or recieve a phone
call until I watch an ad? Do you really think anyone sits and
watches their dialer gui while making a call? I don't get what your
issue is here.

I don't have an issue. Is there some issue about discussing how
something actually works?

No. But you haven't presented an accurate picture of how MJ works. So how
about answering my question: Are you saying I am forced to watch an ad
before I can dial or recieve calls? I make calls by dialing my phone just
like I would dial any other phone. The gui is small, doesn't prevent me from
using other applications whilst on the phone, and is minimized to my tray.
So if there ARE ads running, so what?

The subscription fee isn't even close to anywhere near the actual cost
of providing the service.

Even IF what you state is accurate, so what? For $1.58 per month for good
call quality on long distance, I couldn't care less. If MJ folds, and again
that's IF, I've already had a return on my purchase in MJ many times
over..... so far, I've saved over $65.00 from a traditional voip.

The reason they chose the energy wasting
idea of having a computer running is so they could display ads.

I don't leave my computer 'on' any longer with MJ than before MJ. I suspect
most people don't either. Since most folks have cell phones, I suspect that
MJ is just a cheap way to access toll-free long distance. And since I never
see the ads and it doesn't impact my computer or usage in any way, so what?

There is no technical reason to have a full blown computer running for
VoIP.

So what? If the computer is running anyway, what does it matter? Even if
someone chooses to run their computer 24 hours a day, so what?

All of the functions are typically implemented in a tiny box
that has a network port and a phone port. Right now they are burning
up investors money and the next step is they will need to turn on the
ads. That is their business model. There is nothing magical about
magicjack. It is the exact same model that was used by the "cheap and
free" ISPs that are now nothing by a vague memory. I agree that I
couldn't be bothered watching an ad in order to make a call but that
is the business model.

You keep repeatedly stating the same stuff. I get it. Your arguments aren't
persuasive.

I could give a rat's ass whether MJ lives or dies... I'm totally ambivalent.
I tried MJ, it worked as advertised so I didn't return it and it has saved
me money. MJ hasn't changed my computer usage, nor my computer access. Are
you sure you don't work for Vonage?, because it seems pretty silly to be
foaming at the mouth with rants against MJ.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:
George wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
George wrote:

[...]

Because it wastes power. Likely you have never done an analysis of where
power waste occurs in a home. Most people would point at the high power
appliances but in reality it is the lower power continuous loads. Slow
and steady always wins the waste race. I care because collectively it is
a large waste of power because of a stupid business model and I can
certainly voice my opinion.

And maybe you don't care but check for new posts in this thread where
someone asks why does it need a computer when a low power usage adapter
would work (except for majicjack).

All of the functions are typically implemented in a tiny box
that has a network port and a phone port. Right now they are burning
up investors money and the next step is they will need to turn on the
ads. That is their business model. There is nothing magical about
magicjack. It is the exact same model that was used by the "cheap and
free" ISPs that are now nothing by a vague memory. I agree that I
couldn't be bothered watching an ad in order to make a call but that
is the business model.

You keep repeatedly stating the same stuff. I get it. Your arguments aren't
persuasive.

Likely because I am not trying to persuade anyone. I repeated stuff
because people didn't read what I wrote.

I could give a rat's ass whether MJ lives or dies... I'm totally ambivalent.
I tried MJ, it worked as advertised so I didn't return it and it has saved
me money. MJ hasn't changed my computer usage, nor my computer access. Are
you sure you don't work for Vonage?, because it seems pretty silly to be
foaming at the mouth with rants against MJ.

Who is "foaming at the mouth"? Actually I just like analyzing hyped up
marketing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:

George wrote:

[...]

The business model is that ads will pay for the service. Currently there
are no ads because they are running on investor money. The reason they
chose the power wasting method of needing a computer is so they can
deliver ads. There is nothing technically magical about magicjack. It
uses SIP like the other VoIP providers with some proprietary stuff to
prevent use of an ATA, the "tiny network box" you described.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Because it wastes power.

Maybe, maybe not.

Likely you have never done an analysis of
where power waste occurs in a home.

Who says?

Most people would point at the
high power appliances but in reality it is the lower power continuous
loads. Slow and steady always wins the waste race. I care because
collectively it is a large waste of power because of a stupid
business model and I can certainly voice my opinion.

Sure, voice it all you want. But until you do something about the huge waste
of energy that server farms generate, I don't think I'll worry much about
whether someone decides to keep a computer on. Individual choice.

And maybe you don't care but check for new posts in this thread where
someone asks why does it need a computer when a low power usage
adapter would work (except for majicjack).

Then the simple answer is for the consumer to choose what they want. NO ONE
is forced to buy MJ, nor are they clueless about MJ after they install and
use it. If one doesn't like MJ, they can get a refund.

All of the functions are typically implemented in a tiny box
that has a network port and a phone port. Right now they are
burning up investors money and the next step is they will need to
turn on the ads. That is their business model. There is nothing
magical about magicjack. It is the exact same model that was used
by the "cheap and free" ISPs that are now nothing by a vague
memory. I agree that I couldn't be bothered watching an ad in order
to make a call but that is the business model.

You keep repeatedly stating the same stuff. I get it. Your arguments
aren't persuasive.

Likely because I am not trying to persuade anyone. I repeated stuff
because people didn't read what I wrote.

No, that's not it.

I could give a rat's ass whether MJ lives or dies... I'm totally
ambivalent. I tried MJ, it worked as advertised so I didn't return
it and it has saved me money. MJ hasn't changed my computer usage,
nor my computer access. Are you sure you don't work for Vonage?,
because it seems pretty silly to be foaming at the mouth with rants
against MJ.

Who is "foaming at the mouth"?

You are.

Actually I just like analyzing hyped up marketing.

Good for you.

--
Dave

Magic Jack update metspitzer Home Repair 3 August 2nd 08 07:33 PM
Magic Jack metspitzer Home Repair 16 July 29th 08 08:59 PM
Magic Jack news anyone? John Jones Home Repair 11 May 31st 08 02:12 PM
Magic Jack metspitzer Home Repair 25 May 31st 08 08:48 AM
Magic Jack Review metspitzer Home Repair 2 May 25th 08 02:09 AM