Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Magic Jack news anyone?

I know this has been discussed here in the past but have a lot of people
gone with this service since the last time it was brought up? Have people
decided it is good or bad. I installed it a few days ago and so far
everything went very well and I have no complaints.

Thanks for any replies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Claude Hopper (11) 5. ?"
wrote in message

John Jones wrote:
I know this has been discussed here in the past but
have a lot of people gone with this service since the
last time it was brought up? Have people decided it is
good or bad. I installed it a few days ago and so far
everything went very well and I have no complaints.
Thanks for any replies.

I heard people complaining about all the better business
bureau complaints in Florida. It also only works on the
Windoz platform.

--
Claude Hopper

? ? ¥

I have read many reviews in forums like PC Mag and some have said that is
an old problem that might have just been a matter of extra support help with
installation on the MAC. I did notice that there were many complaints but as
far as I could tell all were from people that weren't even capable of
following the simple instructions. If you have a Mac and are thinking about
getting a Magic Jack I would suggest contacting them via Email and ask. I
had no trouble asking a simple question which they responded in minutes on
Sunday. The only down sides are you need to keep your computer on and may
need to purchase an external USB hub for more power. The good part is you
can take it anywhere and use it when you travel if you have access to high
speed internet. I have been using Vonage for a few years and added Magic
Jack as a second line to see how well it works over time. So far it seems
identical in every way with voice mail and an email sent to you when you
have a message. You just can't beat the 20 bucks a year but some have
predicted that might not last. It seems something like that is too good to
be true. Maybe they might get bought out by a bigger company.

JJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 May 2008 07:01:41 -0400, "John Jones"
wrote:

"Claude Hopper (11) 5. ?"
wrote in message

John Jones wrote:
[...]

So when you travel do you pack a telephone and a USB hub?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marina" wrote in message

"John Jones" wrote in
:

I know this has been discussed here in the past but
have a lot of people
gone with this service since the last time it was
brought up? Have people decided it is good or bad. I
installed it a few days ago and so far everything went
very well and I have no complaints.

Thanks for any replies.

I just got mine in the mail. Had problems trying to set
it up and getting Error 3 proxy error.

Used the MJ live support. Helpful, but couldn't locate
the problem. She told me the ports to use to allow on my
firewall.

Well, the firewall is hard to understand. I disabled the
firewall and MJ works like a charm. I emailed the
firewall people (Sunbelt formerly owned by Kerio) just
now to see how to set it up to allow MJ to connect.

Will let you know how it turns out.

p.s. I tested MJ at work. It's not good because they
have a rotten DSL connection on a network. It's kinda
slow and when I called someone she said it kept cutting
in and out. At home I have cable.
Marina

Are you referring to Windows Firewall? You can allow MJ through if you add
it in Exceptions window. It should already be configured for MJ application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marina" wrote in message

"John Jones" wrote in
:

"Marina" wrote in message

"John Jones" wrote in
:

[...]

No, the windows firewall is disabled. I use a 3rd party
the name I wrote above. I just wrote to Tech support.
Maybe they can test out the MJ and tell me what settings
to use.
Marina

Oh, Ya. Sunbelt. For some reason I was thinking you was your ISP. Well,
good luck. I have tried other firewalls but went back to Windows firewall.
To bad your DSL at work is to slow. Maybe the network is just to busy to
handle the traffic.

JJ.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marina" wrote in message

"John Jones" wrote in
:

"Marina" wrote in message

"John Jones" wrote in
:

"Marina" wrote in message

"John Jones" wrote in
:

[...]

A couple emails and a phone call to Sunbelt firewall and
now MJ will work without any firewall blocking. I wasn't
sure where the preferences were on the firewall. He had
me remove some box tics and then allow MJ both In and
Out. So far so good. I called people and they can hear
me. I just called another person and I think he had a
problem, but I'm not sure. I think he uses a cell phone
at his business. There seemed to be a 1 second delay or
else it was sounding low audio for him. Will find out
later. It could be he was just busy being the time of
day and all.
Marina

Good news that you have that working ok now. Maybe you can work on the DSL
problem at work. When I first got Vonage I had to make some adjustments a
few times. I am trying to remember exactly what it was but it had to do with
sound quality. I will look in some of my archived emails for more. I do
remember it was a bandwidth tweak but after a few tries all was well and
that was a few years ago. Maybe you can configure a different port or using
port forwarding might solve it. If I come up with anything I will post back.
You do the same if you find a solution from MJ support.

Good luck.

JJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I found some posts about the delay and echo problems and a possible fix.

http://unofficialmagicjack.forum2u.o...udio-t729.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Magic Jack metspitzer Home Repair 25 May 31st 08 08:48 AM
Magic Jack phone service Terry Home Repair 5 March 16th 08 05:53 PM
Magic Jack USB phone Terry Home Repair 19 February 14th 08 08:26 PM
Vito Kuhn to be Moderator in news.* hierarchy { 3rd RFD: news.admin.moderation moderated} Sean Monaghan Woodworking 6 March 29th 07 07:31 PM
IT News - Tech News - Search Engine News - Updates News Page O Rama Home Repair 1 April 23rd 06 04:13 PM