Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Magic Jack

"metspitzer" wrote in message

This thing sounds great. Sounds too good to be true.
I have been watching for reviews. The ones I have found
say the thing is crap. No customer service at all.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf31071682.tip.html

LOL

I just posted about this device a few second ago. I find it excellent. It
is so simple there is no TS needed if you follow the instructions. I emailed
them Sunday about how it would appear on my debit card and I got a response
in minutes.

Great little device as far as I can tell.

John J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
This thing sounds great. Sounds too good to be true.
I have been watching for reviews. The ones I have found say the thing
is crap. No customer service at all.

I have had it for about 4 months now and it works just fine. I had an
install question and a customer service rep took care of the concern
quickly.
--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Marina wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in

metspitzer wrote:
This thing sounds great. Sounds too good to be true.
I have been watching for reviews. The ones I have found say the
thing is crap. No customer service at all.

I have had it for about 4 months now and it works just fine. I had an
install question and a customer service rep took care of the concern
quickly.

It's not available in my zip code yet, but two nearby cities have it.
So I should sign up and choose one of the other cities?

You mean area code, not zip code, right? That's what I did.

Then I can call anywhere?

Yes.

It's just that anyone locally calling the
Magic Jack phone number will incur LD charges?

Yes and no. If they have a magicjack, no.

I want to use it in my boss's small office. She uses her Blackberry,
but I have to use my cell to call clients and I don't want to use my
cell for that, because then they see my # on the ID and clients call
me!

That's how I understand it anyway. I'm interested in buying one and
it looked too good to be true.

Your comments are a huge help.
Marina

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote in
:

This thing sounds great. Sounds too good to be true.
I have been watching for reviews. The ones I have found say the thing
is crap. No customer service at all.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf31071682.tip.html

I've been using USADATANET for years.

No monthly fees, contracts, surcharge fees, or minimums. If you don't use
it you don't get a bill for anything.

There are 5 regions like northeast, southern, etc.

Call anyone at any number in your region and it's .10/min but it caps at
..99 meaning the most expensive call for ANY length of time, yes even
hours, is .99.

Call anyone at any number out of your region and it's .10/min but it caps
at 1.99 meaning the most expensive call for ANY length of time, yes even
hours, is 1.99.

When you register it's registered to your home phone. When you want to
call long distance you dial a 7 digit local access number. Enter area
code and number and it connects.

I notice no call quality difference.

If it suits your needs and interested:
http://www.usadatanet.com/longDistance.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marina" wrote in message

wrote in
:

Not sure I understand why "it's not available in my zip
code yet".

Because when I looked up the available area codes, mine
isn't there.
I mistyped and meant area code. If I'm forced to take an
outside area code then other people who don't have Magic
Jack will have a LD charge when they call me.

I'm guessing the local Telco is fighting to keep Magic
Jack out of the area, cuz the telco will lose customers.
I pay about $40 per month. If I like MJ, I'm going to
cancel the hard wired phone. If the MJ turns out to be
less than what i except, I'll just use my cell.

I use Vonage for around $18 per month. That is the price if you make 500
minutes of calls. The same nation wide coverage with voice mail, caller
ID,Call waiting and email notification. MJ is limited to certain area
codes. It is worth it if you convince your callers to get one. I don't think
anyone is fighting to keep it out. There are blocks of numbers that are
bought up by many phone companies. The area codes needed by some just might
not be free right away. I like having an out of state number so the MIL can
call for free and yak as long as she wants. I might get more for other out
of state callers but most have cells that can make unlimited calls anyway. I
remember paying several hundred for the teens years ago so I am very happy
these days. To bad cable TV doesn't go the same route.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marina" wrote in message

"John Jones" wrote in
:

"Marina" wrote in message

wrote in
:

[...]

I was thinking of Vonage before I saw MJ. I don't like
talking on the phone. Rarely use it at home, so thought
MJ would be the way to go.
I wanna see if it's at least good for outgoing calls, so
I can convince my boss to get a MJ so I don't have to use
my cell for work calls.
She reimburses me, but then sometimes clients call me
directly on my cell. My cell is low fee prepaid, so I
don't want to use it much.
I'm hoping MJ is the answer.
Marina

I have been trying MJ as a second line with Vonage which I have had for a
few years. Both seem to be the same quality. Vonage ask a fee to disconnect
so I am in no hurry to switch them off. The bottom line in expense is you
need to leave a computer on for MJ to work. This would add to your electric
bill but I am not sure how much that would actually be. You could turn off
your monitor and configure power settings to hibernate to conserve. I have
been thinking of a computer that would be low consumption like a new
Ultra-Mobile or handheld of some sort. I also use prepaid Tracfone for which
I pay $100 per year for more minutes then I ever use. I am trying to
abandon the phone completely in favor of email. I don't see why MJ would not
meet all your needs at such an unbelievable price. If you have broadband
access at work then you are all set.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess I don't know much about the "business model" used by the VOIP
companies.

For example, Google provides its services for free in the hope that we will
glance it the paid ads. It hopes that the Gmail users will use web mail a
lot and thus view the ads rather than accessing it via a mail server (which
I do.)

If a company offers very low cost VOIP calls it still has the cost of
connecting to the conventional "wired" telephone network. Is this cost
trivial?say the thing
is crap. No customer service at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

I have been trying MJ as a second line with Vonage which I have had for a
few years. Both seem to be the same quality. Vonage ask a fee to disconnect
so I am in no hurry to switch them off. The bottom line in expense is you
need to leave a computer on for MJ to work.

Doesn't Vonage charge a monthly fee, where as MJ charges
a yearly fee? I'm temped to try it at $20 a year versus
$370 a year. That worth a tank of gas.
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lou" wrote in message

I have been trying MJ as a second line with Vonage which
I have had for a few years. Both seem to be the same
quality. Vonage ask a fee to disconnect so I am in no
hurry to switch them off. The bottom line in expense is
you need to leave a computer on for MJ to work.

Doesn't Vonage charge a monthly fee, where as MJ charges
a yearly fee? I'm temped to try it at $20 a year versus
$370 a year. That worth a tank of gas.
Lou

Yes. Vonage gets about 18.00 per month while MJ gets 20.00 per year. I paid
$40.00 for device and 1 year of service. I will eventually drop Vonage
completely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

I guess I don't know much about the "business model" used
by the VOIP companies.

For example, Google provides its services for free in the
hope that we will glance it the paid ads. It hopes that
the Gmail users will use web mail a lot and thus view the
ads rather than accessing it via a mail server (which I
do.)
If a company offers very low cost VOIP calls it still has
the cost of connecting to the conventional "wired"
telephone network. Is this cost trivial?

I have seen no extra cost other than around $7 for shipping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:
I guess I don't know much about the "business model" used by the VOIP
companies.

For example, Google provides its services for free in the hope that we will
glance it the paid ads. It hopes that the Gmail users will use web mail a
lot and thus view the ads rather than accessing it via a mail server (which
I do.)

If a company offers very low cost VOIP calls it still has the cost of
connecting to the conventional "wired" telephone network. Is this cost
trivial?

Most of the low cost voip services use "DID", where they
buy(rent) blocks of numbers in groups of 10, 100, or 1000 in
different area codes. These cost about 50 cents a month for
each number. They use a "soft switch" or "virtual
(phone)office" that provides internet connections to your
computer "softphone".

If you call a number from their line to another number that
is also their line, they handle the call "end-to-end" for
very very low cost. If the call is to a line at another
company, they share the cost, if it's to a traditional
(ilec) company they pay thru the nose to complete the call.

Caller id is delivered like cellphone calls, number only,
few are willing to pay the "per dip" charge to get the
matching name from the database, run by the ilecs.

They use the "number portability" system to allow you to use
your previous number with your new number. It's all a big
call forwarding scheme.

-- larry/dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

"larry" wrote in message

John Gilmer wrote:
[...]

I am not sure what all that means but my caller ID with Vonage VOIP shows
number and name every time unless it is a cell phone call when it displays
"MA Wireless" for calls from Massachusetts to where I live in New Hampshire.
Some phones I have show different ID configuration indicating it has more to
do with the individual phone itself rather than any particular service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Jones wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

I have been trying MJ as a second line with Vonage which
I have had for a few years. Both seem to be the same
quality. Vonage ask a fee to disconnect so I am in no
hurry to switch them off. The bottom line in expense is
you need to leave a computer on for MJ to work.

Doesn't Vonage charge a monthly fee, where as MJ charges
a yearly fee? I'm temped to try it at $20 a year versus
$370 a year. That worth a tank of gas.
Lou

Yes. Vonage gets about 18.00 per month while MJ gets 20.00 per year. I paid
$40.00 for device and 1 year of service. I will eventually drop Vonage
completely.

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry. Magicjack doesn't have a
sustainable business model so as soon as they burn through the investor
money they will either have to turn the lights out or charge what other
services charge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
John Jones wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

I have been trying MJ as a second line with Vonage which
I have had for a few years. Both seem to be the same
quality. Vonage ask a fee to disconnect so I am in no
hurry to switch them off. The bottom line in expense is
you need to leave a computer on for MJ to work.
Doesn't Vonage charge a monthly fee, where as MJ charges
a yearly fee? I'm temped to try it at $20 a year versus
$370 a year. That worth a tank of gas.
Lou

Yes. Vonage gets about 18.00 per month while MJ gets 20.00 per year.
I paid $40.00 for device and 1 year of service. I will eventually
drop Vonage completely.

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry. Magicjack doesn't have a
sustainable business model so as soon as they burn through the
investor money they will either have to turn the lights out or charge
what other services charge.

Please provide the cite for that.

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message

John Jones wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

I have been trying MJ as a second line with Vonage
which I have had for a few years. Both seem to be the
same quality. Vonage ask a fee to disconnect so I am
in no hurry to switch them off. The bottom line in
expense is you need to leave a computer on for MJ to
work.
Doesn't Vonage charge a monthly fee, where as MJ charges
a yearly fee? I'm temped to try it at $20 a year versus
$370 a year. That worth a tank of gas.
Lou

Yes. Vonage gets about 18.00 per month while MJ gets
20.00 per year. I paid $40.00 for device and 1 year of
service. I will eventually drop Vonage completely.

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry. Magicjack doesn't
have a sustainable business model so as soon as they burn
through the investor money they will either have to turn
the lights out or charge what other services charge.

Google MJ shows 1,350,000 results. Here is a poll.

http://dontgetjacked.com/11201.html?action=result

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Jones wrote:
"George" wrote in message

John Jones wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

[...]

Of course people who responded to the poll are happy because majicjack
is still running and they get to make cheap calls. I didn't claim
anything different.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:
George wrote:
John Jones wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

[...]

No cite, I am sure you know things about whatever business you might be
in. Anyone who knows the workings of VoIP knows what the overhead is and
that they don't have a sustainable business model. BTW, there is nothing
technologically magical about magicjack. They require you to use that
silly energy wasting key which means you need to keep a computer running
all of the time. Behind the scenes they are just slightly different than
standard SIP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
George wrote:
John Jones wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

I have been trying MJ as a second line with Vonage which
I have had for a few years. Both seem to be the same
quality. Vonage ask a fee to disconnect so I am in no
hurry to switch them off. The bottom line in expense is
you need to leave a computer on for MJ to work.
Doesn't Vonage charge a monthly fee, where as MJ charges
a yearly fee? I'm temped to try it at $20 a year versus
$370 a year. That worth a tank of gas.
Lou
Yes. Vonage gets about 18.00 per month while MJ gets 20.00 per
year. I paid $40.00 for device and 1 year of service. I will
eventually drop Vonage completely.

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry. Magicjack doesn't have a
sustainable business model so as soon as they burn through the
investor money they will either have to turn the lights out or
charge what other services charge.

Please provide the cite for that.

No cite,

As I thought.

I am sure you know things about whatever business you might be in.

Yes, I do.

Anyone who knows the workings of VoIP knows what the overhead
is and that they don't have a sustainable business model.

The overhead is what the business makes it.; from the little I've read, this
company has chosen to ratio its overhead to the customer base... to grow
only as it needs to. I've seen no evidence -- huge national prime time TV
ads as an example -- to contradict this. They had a soft launch with no big
"grand-opening" kick-off, which is a real key to fine-tuning how well a
business responds to customer growth.

BTW, there is nothing technologically magical about magicjack.

Exactly WHY the company is probably going to remain healthy. The technology
is simple and straight-forward and cheap.

They require you to use that silly energy wasting key

I don't know what you mean by "key".

which means you need to keep a computer running all of the time.

For $20.00 per year vs Vonage at $26.00 per month, that's no big deal.
Besides, I don't HAVE to keep the computer on all the time if I don't need
to use the landline..... and I don't. As with a large number of the
population, I have a cell phone that I can use if I simply must make a call
between 11pm and 7am. Prior to magicjack, I would turn off the landline at
night anyway.

Behind the scenes they are just slightly different than standard SIP.

How so?

I remember similar criticisms leveled at Amazon regarding the sustainability
of its business model; I disagreed then with the naysayers then, too.

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Magic Jack phone service Terry Home Repair 5 March 16th 08 05:53 PM
Magic Jack USB phone Terry Home Repair 19 February 14th 08 08:26 PM
The magic of RS [email protected] Woodworking 0 September 28th 07 02:53 AM
magic erasers edog Woodworking 1 September 28th 05 06:58 PM
Magic-Pak Filter Dan Hartung Home Repair 0 October 23rd 03 07:04 PM