Posted to alt.home.repair
John Jones John Jones is offline

Default Magic Jack

"Marina" wrote in message

wrote in
:

Not sure I understand why "it's not available in my zip
code yet".

Because when I looked up the available area codes, mine
isn't there.
I mistyped and meant area code. If I'm forced to take an
outside area code then other people who don't have Magic
Jack will have a LD charge when they call me.

I'm guessing the local Telco is fighting to keep Magic
Jack out of the area, cuz the telco will lose customers.
I pay about $40 per month. If I like MJ, I'm going to
cancel the hard wired phone. If the MJ turns out to be
less than what i except, I'll just use my cell.

I use Vonage for around $18 per month. That is the price if you make 500
minutes of calls. The same nation wide coverage with voice mail, caller
ID,Call waiting and email notification. MJ is limited to certain area
codes. It is worth it if you convince your callers to get one. I don't think
anyone is fighting to keep it out. There are blocks of numbers that are
bought up by many phone companies. The area codes needed by some just might
not be free right away. I like having an out of state number so the MIL can
call for free and yak as long as she wants. I might get more for other out
of state callers but most have cells that can make unlimited calls anyway. I
remember paying several hundred for the teens years ago so I am very happy
these days. To bad cable TV doesn't go the same route.