Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Magic Jack USB phone

http://magicjack.com/site/index.html

After seeing the link Mark Loyd posted, I think I am going to buy one
of these at Best Buy tomorrow.

I was also thinking outloud how I might get this thing to work without
rewiring my phones.

I have a phone jack at my computer that used to be use for dialup. I
can plug the (modem?) (interface?) in the phone jack. I can then go
outside and unplug the phone at the phone company's box. This would
have all the phones the house wired to the interface.

Would it work? I will let you know tomorrow.

If this doesn't work, I can plug in my cordless that has an extra
extention and still have two phones in the house working until I can
get extra extentions.

I did find this link that says you do get an incoming number.

http://jocowash.blogspot.com/2007/05/magic-jack.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:

After seeing the link Mark Loyd posted, I think I am going to buy one
of these at Best Buy tomorrow.

I was also thinking outloud how I might get this thing to work without
rewiring my phones.

I have a phone jack at my computer that used to be use for dialup. I
can plug the (modem?) (interface?) in the phone jack. I can then go
outside and unplug the phone at the phone company's box. This would
have all the phones the house wired to the interface.

Would it work? I will let you know tomorrow.

If this doesn't work, I can plug in my cordless that has an extra
extention and still have two phones in the house working until I can
get extra extentions.

I did find this link that says you do get an incoming number.

http://jocowash.blogspot.com/2007/05/magic-jack.html

I wouldn't depend on it for anything important and have options ready
when it goes away because everything I have read says that what they
charge doesn't cover the cost of the service so it is very reminiscent
of the overenthusiastic dotcom outfits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 18:24:15 -0500, George
wrote:

Terry wrote:

[...]

It says never get a monthly phone bill again.

This is an out right lie if you have to subscribe to a monthly
service.

It leads you to believe the service is 20 bucks a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Terry wrote:

[...]

The ad leads you to believe the service is 20 bucks per year. Are you
saying there are monthly charges?

The video says never pay a monthly bill again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Terry wrote:

[...]

And never get an audible call again? I had hooked up with Packet8 voip
service to try to lessen my phone bills. What a miserable service.
Conversation was so garbled, you couldn't tell what was being said. But it
was cheap.

This is an out right lie if you have to subscribe to a monthly
service.

It leads you to believe the service is 20 bucks a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Terry wrote:

[...]

OK, so they bill you annually... up front

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Terry wrote:

[...]

I expect there's a good chance of the company going away. Still, it
could be a way to save some money now.

Too bad it doesn't help those who need to save money the most, and
can't afford broadband.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:56:49 -0500, Terry
wrote:

http://magicjack.com/site/index.html

After seeing the link Mark Loyd posted, I think I am going to buy one
of these at Best Buy tomorrow.

I was also thinking outloud how I might get this thing to work without
rewiring my phones.

I have a phone jack at my computer that used to be use for dialup. I
can plug the (modem?) (interface?) in the phone jack. I can then go
outside and unplug the phone at the phone company's box. This would
have all the phones the house wired to the interface.

Would it work? I will let you know tomorrow.

I don't see why not, unless the Magic Jack doesn't supply enough
ringer current. However that shouldn't be a problem with newer
electronic phones.

If this doesn't work, I can plug in my cordless that has an extra
extention and still have two phones in the house working until I can
get extra extentions.

I did find this link that says you do get an incoming number.

http://jocowash.blogspot.com/2007/05/magic-jack.html

Also, they should tell you what ports need to be open (firewall & NAT
configuration), rather than assuming UPnP, which is a security risk.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Terry wrote:

[...]

I think you misread what I wrote. Think for a moment how can they offer
essentially the same thing as other already very economical VoIP
providers for a tiny fraction of what the others charge?

I never claimed they were going to send you a monthly bill. I simply
suggested that theirs is an unsustainable business model so don't count
on it to be there for very long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:

The ad leads you to believe the service is 20 bucks per year. Are you
saying there are monthly charges?

The video says never pay a monthly bill again.

"...never pay a monthly TELEPHONE bill again..."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://magicjack.com/site/index.html

After seeing the link Mark Loyd posted, I think I am going to buy one
of these at Best Buy tomorrow.

I was also thinking outloud how I might get this thing to work
without rewiring my phones.

I have a phone jack at my computer that used to be use for dialup. I
can plug the (modem?) (interface?) in the phone jack. I can then go
outside and unplug the phone at the phone company's box. This would
have all the phones the house wired to the interface.

Would it work? I will let you know tomorrow.

I don't see why not, unless the Magic Jack doesn't supply enough
ringer current. However that shouldn't be a problem with newer
electronic phones.

Looks like it's a VoIP phone for outgoing calls. To get a POTS number, well,
you'll have to go with a more robust provider.

We have two VoIP lines here (from Vonage, but others work the same way) and
couldn't be happier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://magicjack.com/site/index.html

After seeing the link Mark Loyd posted, I think I am going to buy one
of these at Best Buy tomorrow.

I was also thinking outloud how I might get this thing to work
without rewiring my phones.

I have a phone jack at my computer that used to be use for dialup. *I
can plug the (modem?) (interface?) in the phone jack. *I can then go
outside and unplug the phone at the phone company's box. *This would
have all the phones the house wired to the interface.

Would it work? *I will let you know tomorrow.

I don't see why not, unless the Magic Jack doesn't supply enough
ringer current. However that shouldn't be a problem with newer
electronic phones.

Looks like it's a VoIP phone for outgoing calls. To get a POTS number, well,
you'll have to go with a more robust provider.

What makes you think it's only outgoing? On the features list it
says you get a phone # of your choice and it supports enhanced 911
service.

We have two VoIP lines here (from Vonage, but others work the same way) and
couldn't be happier.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://magicjack.com/site/index.html

After seeing the link Mark Loyd posted, I think I am going to buy one
of these at Best Buy tomorrow.

I was also thinking outloud how I might get this thing to work
without rewiring my phones.

I have a phone jack at my computer that used to be use for dialup. I
can plug the (modem?) (interface?) in the phone jack. I can then go
outside and unplug the phone at the phone company's box. This would
have all the phones the house wired to the interface.

Would it work? I will let you know tomorrow.

I don't see why not, unless the Magic Jack doesn't supply enough
ringer current. However that shouldn't be a problem with newer
electronic phones.

Looks like it's a VoIP phone for outgoing calls. To get a POTS number, well,
you'll have to go with a more robust provider.

Their claim is that you do get a POTS number and they are able to offer
service for a tiny fraction of the lowest cost VoIP providers because
they own a VoIP phone company (so does the carrier we use)! I give them
a year before they burn through the investors money and have to turn off
the lights.

The only difference between them and other providers is that you need to
keep your computer running 24x7 (great idea with rising energy costs)
since you can only use their USB interface and not a normal ATA.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ne-286768-.htm
:
George wrote:

Their claim is that you do get a POTS number and they are able to offer
service for a tiny fraction of the lowest cost VoIP providers because
they own a VoIP phone company (so does the carrier we use)! I give them
a year before they burn through the investors money and have to turn
off the lights.

They may be operating on the same business principal free conference calls
operators use: if Magic Jacks numbers terminate in a rural Washington
state or other states with rural carriers allowed to charge special
termination fees, they may be able to tag a little fee to every INBOUND
call. It obviously remains to be seen if they can balance their initial
expenses with whatever they can collect that way because the rural
termination fee loophole may not even be available forever (although it is
an ancient rule itself and may survive few more decades)

On a side note: their website is an epitome of the concept of withholding
any technical details. There is hardly anything about the device you can
know for sure from the site. I guess, their hope is that you get curious
and call them, which is where they get you :-) But I think the OP is
correct - the REN for this little device can be as little as 1 'cause
there is not much juice you can pull from a USB jack. So, you'll probably
only be able to make one phone ring and there is not point in connecting
parallel phones around the house.

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Their claim is that you do get a POTS number and they are able to offer
service for a tiny fraction of the lowest cost VoIP providers because
they own a VoIP phone company (so does the carrier we use)! I give them
a year before they burn through the investors money and have to turn
off the lights.

They may be operating on the same business principal free conference calls
operators use: if Magic Jacks numbers terminate in a rural Washington
state or other states with rural carriers allowed to charge special
termination fees, they may be able to tag a little fee to every INBOUND
call. It obviously remains to be seen if they can balance their initial
expenses with whatever they can collect that way because the rural
termination fee loophole may not even be available forever (although it is
an ancient rule itself and may survive few more decades)

I thought most of those were shut down. I know at least the couple
operators who were offering "free international calls" and using the
rural loophole to overcharge the callers carrier were. I wonder if
magicjack is dumb enough to try the same thing?

On a side note: their website is an epitome of the concept of withholding
any technical details. There is hardly anything about the device you can
know for sure from the site. I guess, their hope is that you get curious
and call them, which is where they get you :-) But I think the OP is
correct - the REN for this little device can be as little as 1 'cause
there is not much juice you can pull from a USB jack. So, you'll probably
only be able to make one phone ring and there is not point in connecting
parallel phones around the house.

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:25:41 -0500, George

What makes you think it's only outgoing? On the features list it
says you get a phone # of your choice and it supports enhanced 911
service.

Thats the problem with services that are more hype than reality. Their
hype says one thing and their TOS says:

"5. Emergency calls

The services offered by magicJack are not traditional telephone
services, so we are not required to provide you with access to emergency
911, E911, or similar access to emergency services. However, when you
register to use the magicJack device, you will be enrolled in
magicJack's voluntary 911 service, if you register a U.S. service
address. magicJack will take commercially reasonable steps to provide
you with emergency service calling.

Who gets to decide what's "commercially reasonable"? That could be a
way of saying "We don't agree to do anything" (like "up to", it's not
really saying anything at all).

Anyway, I wouldn't want to rely on this as my ONLY telephone service.

This requires your cooperation. You
must comply..."

As far as I can tell you get to pick a phone number in the few places
where they actually have numbers. So you may be in NY and have an Iowa
number.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Their claim is that you do get a POTS number and they are able to offer
service for a tiny fraction of the lowest cost VoIP providers because
they own a VoIP phone company (so does the carrier we use)! I give them
a year before they burn through the investors money and have to turn
off the lights.

They may be operating on the same business principal free conference calls
operators use: if Magic Jacks numbers terminate in a rural Washington
state or other states with rural carriers allowed to charge special
termination fees, they may be able to tag a little fee to every INBOUND
call. It obviously remains to be seen if they can balance their initial
expenses with whatever they can collect that way because the rural
termination fee loophole may not even be available forever (although it is
an ancient rule itself and may survive few more decades)

So your credit card could be charged a lot more than $40 plus
shipping.

On a side note: their website is an epitome of the concept of withholding
any technical details.

Yes. I've looked for those several times already.

There is hardly anything about the device you can
know for sure from the site. I guess, their hope is that you get curious
and call them, which is where they get you :-) But I think the OP is
correct - the REN for this little device can be as little as 1 'cause
there is not much juice you can pull from a USB jack. So, you'll probably
only be able to make one phone ring and there is not point in connecting
parallel phones around the house.

Newer phones can have REN significantly less than 1.

[spam snipped]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 3:01*pm, George wrote:
Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

Marketing weasel words at work... Anyone who thinks this is a normal
company with a sensible business plan should think twice.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to rely on this as my ONLY telephone service.

This requires your cooperation. You
must comply..."

As far as I can tell you get to pick a phone number in the few places
where they actually have numbers. So you may be in NY and have an Iowa
number.- Hide quoted text -

To all . I Have been using magicjack for over 2 months now and it has
surpassed my expectations.
I have read all the crap most of you people (who lack insight) have to
say.
This product is fantastic...i have actually tested it overseas and
locally..and guess what buddy it work!
Who know how long they will be in business??...But you must be an
caveman if you dont have a cell phone .
This should not eliminate that ...O' yeah i reduced my cell plan w/
At&t saving 20 bucks extar a month because
of magicjack.But who knows ..maybe things are so that tight that you
are at some hotspot right now reading this or helping yourselves to
your neighbors wifi..(magicjack still sound clear at starbucks!).

But who cares ...right now if you do the math you definately will
save...Insight people...if it works and you buy it..they will
stay in business ...Dan Borislow ..the Man behind the business is no
fool he has put his all into this because of its potential

People wants things/products thats work and save them money..simple as
that!

Phone jack Has to be near AC Receptacle? John Ross Home Repair 34 August 24th 07 11:08 PM
Wireless phone jack Frank Home Repair 10 March 22nd 06 08:56 PM
phone jack help needed qdot Electronics Repair 5 October 4th 05 11:12 PM
Phone Jack Wiring ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 March 29th 05 01:16 AM
Adding a phone jack? Marc Wolfe Home Repair 10 February 17th 05 10:42 PM