Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Magic Jack USB phone

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 18:24:15 -0500, George
wrote:

Terry wrote:

After seeing the link Mark Loyd posted, I think I am going to buy one
of these at Best Buy tomorrow.

I was also thinking outloud how I might get this thing to work without
rewiring my phones.

I have a phone jack at my computer that used to be use for dialup. I
can plug the (modem?) (interface?) in the phone jack. I can then go
outside and unplug the phone at the phone company's box. This would
have all the phones the house wired to the interface.

Would it work? I will let you know tomorrow.

If this doesn't work, I can plug in my cordless that has an extra
extention and still have two phones in the house working until I can
get extra extentions.

I did find this link that says you do get an incoming number.

http://jocowash.blogspot.com/2007/05/magic-jack.html

I wouldn't depend on it for anything important and have options ready
when it goes away because everything I have read says that what they
charge doesn't cover the cost of the service so it is very reminiscent
of the overenthusiastic dotcom outfits.

The ad leads you to believe the service is 20 bucks per year. Are you
saying there are monthly charges?

The video says never pay a monthly bill again.