qdot

Default phone jack help needed

Hi,
I have moved into a house that I believe used to be a sales office or
something that has mutiple phone line capability (according to the
phone company guy). The problem is that there is only one jack is
working right now and it's in the master closet. It's a pain in the
ass...

The phone guy says he can find out how to make other jacks active to
share my phone number (I don't intend to use mutiple lines for now) but
will charge ~$100/hr to do that. It sounds like a simple thing to do
according to him but I don't know how.

Can anyone help me figure this out? I may not have given all the
information to answer this question but I don't know where to begin but
to ask in the news group for expert opinion to begin...

Thanks,
Jae

bloggybob

Let him do it , reason i say this is because i work with phone lines all the
time since im in commercial security and it shouldnt take him more than a
half hour or so to change the wires at the network interface ... unless you
have some knowledge in what to look for and how to find the connections to
change i suggest you just pay the guy .. just may cost you more if you mess
things up within the wiring .

"qdot" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I have moved into a house that I believe used to be a sales office or
something that has mutiple phone line capability (according to the
phone company guy). The problem is that there is only one jack is
working right now and it's in the master closet. It's a pain in the
ass...

The phone guy says he can find out how to make other jacks active to
share my phone number (I don't intend to use mutiple lines for now) but
will charge ~$100/hr to do that. It sounds like a simple thing to do
according to him but I don't know how.

Can anyone help me figure this out? I may not have given all the
information to answer this question but I don't know where to begin but
to ask in the news group for expert opinion to begin...

Thanks,
Jae

Mike Berger

A lot of things sound simple until you try to do them. You may also
need special tools that you don't have.

You can buy a tone generator, tone tracer, and appropriate punchdown
tools or whatever else you need and do it yourself, but if it's a one
time thing, I'd have the phone guy do it.

qdot wrote:

The phone guy says he can find out how to make other jacks active to
share my phone number (I don't intend to use mutiple lines for now) but
will charge ~$100/hr to do that. It sounds like a simple thing to do
according to him but I don't know how.

Asimov

"qdot" bravely wrote to "All" (02 Oct 05 23:35:18)
--- on the heady topic of "phone jack help needed"

Jae,

Use a multimeter to identify the wires...

A*s*i*m*o*v

qd From: "qdot"
qd Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:343964

qd Hi,
qd I have moved into a house that I believe used to be a sales office or
qd something that has mutiple phone line capability (according to the
qd phone company guy). The problem is that there is only one jack is
qd working right now and it's in the master closet. It's a pain in the
qd ass...

qd The phone guy says he can find out how to make other jacks active to
qd share my phone number (I don't intend to use mutiple lines for now)
qd but will charge ~$100/hr to do that. It sounds like a simple thing to
qd do according to him but I don't know how.

qd Can anyone help me figure this out? I may not have given all the
qd information to answer this question but I don't know where to begin
qd but to ask in the news group for expert opinion to begin...

qd Thanks,
qd Jae

.... Just a little force field zap.

qdot

i was thinking that it shouldn't be that difficult, but it sounds like
some special tools/skills are needed. is there any basic website or
reading material that shows how this is done? like phone jack for dummy
or something... how difficult it could be?

Jae

Mike W.

http://www.lanshack.com/wire_phone_jack.asp

"qdot" wrote in message
oups.com...
i was thinking that it shouldn't be that difficult, but it sounds like
some special tools/skills are needed. is there any basic website or
reading material that shows how this is done? like phone jack for dummy
or something... how difficult it could be?

Jae

Enjoy high quality long distance Internet Phone calls at incredible rates John Electronics Repair 0 May 18th 05 12:36 PM
Phone expert needed Steve P UK diy 10 March 6th 05 07:40 PM
Adding a phone jack? Marc Wolfe Home Repair 10 February 17th 05 10:42 PM
Head Phone Jack breaks off. How do I get piece out? jbert Electronics Repair 3 November 21st 04 10:03 AM
How to merge 2 phone line jacks to one? Elize Electronics Repair 3 February 4th 04 06:02 PM