Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Magic Jack USB phone

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:25:41 -0500, George

What makes you think it's only outgoing? On the features list it
says you get a phone # of your choice and it supports enhanced 911
service.

Thats the problem with services that are more hype than reality. Their
hype says one thing and their TOS says:

"5. Emergency calls

The services offered by magicJack are not traditional telephone
services, so we are not required to provide you with access to emergency
911, E911, or similar access to emergency services. However, when you
register to use the magicJack device, you will be enrolled in
magicJack's voluntary 911 service, if you register a U.S. service
address. magicJack will take commercially reasonable steps to provide
you with emergency service calling.

Who gets to decide what's "commercially reasonable"? That could be a
way of saying "We don't agree to do anything" (like "up to", it's not
really saying anything at all).

Marketing weasel words at work... Anyone who thinks this is a normal
company with a sensible business plan should think twice.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to rely on this as my ONLY telephone service.

This requires your cooperation. You
must comply..."

As far as I can tell you get to pick a phone number in the few places
where they actually have numbers. So you may be in NY and have an Iowa
number.