Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Magic Jack USB phone

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:56:49 -0500, Terry
wrote:

http://magicjack.com/site/index.html

After seeing the link Mark Loyd posted, I think I am going to buy one
of these at Best Buy tomorrow.

I was also thinking outloud how I might get this thing to work without
rewiring my phones.

I have a phone jack at my computer that used to be use for dialup. I
can plug the (modem?) (interface?) in the phone jack. I can then go
outside and unplug the phone at the phone company's box. This would
have all the phones the house wired to the interface.

Would it work? I will let you know tomorrow.

I don't see why not, unless the Magic Jack doesn't supply enough
ringer current. However that shouldn't be a problem with newer
electronic phones.

If this doesn't work, I can plug in my cordless that has an extra
extention and still have two phones in the house working until I can
get extra extentions.

I did find this link that says you do get an incoming number.

http://jocowash.blogspot.com/2007/05/magic-jack.html

Also, they should tell you what ports need to be open (firewall & NAT
configuration), rather than assuming UPnP, which is a security risk.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy