Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Magic Jack

This thing sounds great. Sounds too good to be true.
I have been watching for reviews. The ones I have found say the thing
is crap. No customer service at all.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf31071682.tip.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message

This thing sounds great. Sounds too good to be true.
I have been watching for reviews. The ones I have found
say the thing is crap. No customer service at all.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf31071682.tip.html

LOL

I just posted about this device a few second ago. I find it excellent. It
is so simple there is no TS needed if you follow the instructions. I emailed
them Sunday about how it would appear on my debit card and I got a response
in minutes.

Great little device as far as I can tell.

John J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
This thing sounds great. Sounds too good to be true.
I have been watching for reviews. The ones I have found say the thing
is crap. No customer service at all.

I have had it for about 4 months now and it works just fine. I had an
install question and a customer service rep took care of the concern
quickly.
--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Marina wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in

metspitzer wrote:
This thing sounds great. Sounds too good to be true.
I have been watching for reviews. The ones I have found say the
thing is crap. No customer service at all.

I have had it for about 4 months now and it works just fine. I had an
install question and a customer service rep took care of the concern
quickly.

It's not available in my zip code yet, but two nearby cities have it.
So I should sign up and choose one of the other cities?

You mean area code, not zip code, right? That's what I did.

Then I can call anywhere?

Yes.

It's just that anyone locally calling the
Magic Jack phone number will incur LD charges?

Yes and no. If they have a magicjack, no.

I want to use it in my boss's small office. She uses her Blackberry,
but I have to use my cell to call clients and I don't want to use my
cell for that, because then they see my # on the ID and clients call
me!

That's how I understand it anyway. I'm interested in buying one and
it looked too good to be true.

Your comments are a huge help.
Marina

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote in
:

This thing sounds great. Sounds too good to be true.
I have been watching for reviews. The ones I have found say the thing
is crap. No customer service at all.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf31071682.tip.html

I've been using USADATANET for years.

No monthly fees, contracts, surcharge fees, or minimums. If you don't use
it you don't get a bill for anything.

There are 5 regions like northeast, southern, etc.

Call anyone at any number in your region and it's .10/min but it caps at
..99 meaning the most expensive call for ANY length of time, yes even
hours, is .99.

Call anyone at any number out of your region and it's .10/min but it caps
at 1.99 meaning the most expensive call for ANY length of time, yes even
hours, is 1.99.

When you register it's registered to your home phone. When you want to
call long distance you dial a 7 digit local access number. Enter area
code and number and it connects.

I notice no call quality difference.

If it suits your needs and interested:
http://www.usadatanet.com/longDistance.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess I don't know much about the "business model" used by the VOIP
companies.

For example, Google provides its services for free in the hope that we will
glance it the paid ads. It hopes that the Gmail users will use web mail a
lot and thus view the ads rather than accessing it via a mail server (which
I do.)

If a company offers very low cost VOIP calls it still has the cost of
connecting to the conventional "wired" telephone network. Is this cost
trivial?say the thing
is crap. No customer service at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

I guess I don't know much about the "business model" used
by the VOIP companies.

For example, Google provides its services for free in the
hope that we will glance it the paid ads. It hopes that
the Gmail users will use web mail a lot and thus view the
ads rather than accessing it via a mail server (which I
do.)
If a company offers very low cost VOIP calls it still has
the cost of connecting to the conventional "wired"
telephone network. Is this cost trivial?

I have seen no extra cost other than around $7 for shipping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:
I guess I don't know much about the "business model" used by the VOIP
companies.

For example, Google provides its services for free in the hope that we will
glance it the paid ads. It hopes that the Gmail users will use web mail a
lot and thus view the ads rather than accessing it via a mail server (which
I do.)

If a company offers very low cost VOIP calls it still has the cost of
connecting to the conventional "wired" telephone network. Is this cost
trivial?

Most of the low cost voip services use "DID", where they
buy(rent) blocks of numbers in groups of 10, 100, or 1000 in
different area codes. These cost about 50 cents a month for
each number. They use a "soft switch" or "virtual
(phone)office" that provides internet connections to your
computer "softphone".

If you call a number from their line to another number that
is also their line, they handle the call "end-to-end" for
very very low cost. If the call is to a line at another
company, they share the cost, if it's to a traditional
(ilec) company they pay thru the nose to complete the call.

Caller id is delivered like cellphone calls, number only,
few are willing to pay the "per dip" charge to get the
matching name from the database, run by the ilecs.

They use the "number portability" system to allow you to use
your previous number with your new number. It's all a big
call forwarding scheme.

-- larry/dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

"larry" wrote in message

John Gilmer wrote:
[...]

I am not sure what all that means but my caller ID with Vonage VOIP shows
number and name every time unless it is a cell phone call when it displays
"MA Wireless" for calls from Massachusetts to where I live in New Hampshire.
Some phones I have show different ID configuration indicating it has more to
do with the individual phone itself rather than any particular service.

Magic Jack phone service Terry Home Repair 5 March 16th 08 05:53 PM
Magic Jack USB phone Terry Home Repair 19 February 14th 08 08:26 PM
The magic of RS [email protected] Woodworking 0 September 28th 07 02:53 AM
magic erasers edog Woodworking 1 September 28th 05 06:58 PM
Magic-Pak Filter Dan Hartung Home Repair 0 October 23rd 03 07:04 PM