Posted to alt.home.repair
John Jones John Jones is offline

Default Magic Jack

"Marina" wrote in message

"John Jones" wrote in
:

"Marina" wrote in message

wrote in
:

Not sure I understand why "it's not available in my zip
code yet".

Because when I looked up the available area codes, mine
isn't there.
I mistyped and meant area code. If I'm forced to take
an outside area code then other people who don't have
Magic Jack will have a LD charge when they call me.

I'm guessing the local Telco is fighting to keep Magic
Jack out of the area, cuz the telco will lose customers.
I pay about $40 per month. If I like MJ, I'm going to
cancel the hard wired phone. If the MJ turns out to be
less than what i except, I'll just use my cell.

I use Vonage for around $18 per month. That is the price
if you make 500 minutes of calls. The same nation wide
coverage with voice mail, caller ID,Call waiting and
email notification. MJ is limited to certain area
codes. It is worth it if you convince your callers to
get one. I don't think anyone is fighting to keep it
out. There are blocks of numbers that are bought up by
many phone companies. The area codes needed by some just
might not be free right away. I like having an out of
state number so the MIL can call for free and yak as
long as she wants. I might get more for other out of
state callers but most have cells that can make
unlimited calls anyway. I remember paying several
hundred for the teens years ago so I am very happy these
days. To bad cable TV doesn't go the same route.

I was thinking of Vonage before I saw MJ. I don't like
talking on the phone. Rarely use it at home, so thought
MJ would be the way to go.
I wanna see if it's at least good for outgoing calls, so
I can convince my boss to get a MJ so I don't have to use
my cell for work calls.
She reimburses me, but then sometimes clients call me
directly on my cell. My cell is low fee prepaid, so I
don't want to use it much.
I'm hoping MJ is the answer.
Marina

I have been trying MJ as a second line with Vonage which I have had for a
few years. Both seem to be the same quality. Vonage ask a fee to disconnect
so I am in no hurry to switch them off. The bottom line in expense is you
need to leave a computer on for MJ to work. This would add to your electric
bill but I am not sure how much that would actually be. You could turn off
your monitor and configure power settings to hibernate to conserve. I have
been thinking of a computer that would be low consumption like a new
Ultra-Mobile or handheld of some sort. I also use prepaid Tracfone for which
I pay $100 per year for more minutes then I ever use. I am trying to
abandon the phone completely in favor of email. I don't see why MJ would not
meet all your needs at such an unbelievable price. If you have broadband
access at work then you are all set.