Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim J. Tim J. is offline

Default Magic Jack and a power hub

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:30:02 -0400, metspitzer
wrote:

I sent my Magic Jack back because sometimes it worked, and sometimes
it didn't. As I have said, I really wanted it to work. Who would not
want to give up a 35$/month phone bill for one that is 20$/year?

One thing I didn't try that I could have to improve the service was
purchase a powered USB hub.

Another thing Magic Jack could do without actually improving the
product would be to offer a rock solid voice mail system. If I had
one part of Magic Jack that I knew I could count on, it might have
persuaded me to keep it. I could put up with hit and miss on the
outgoing calls, but unreliable incoming calls is unacceptable.

Return postage was less than 3 bucks, so test driving it was not
really expensive. I just taped the RMA to the package and shipped it
back.

I would like to hear from people that do have a powered hub that have
tried MJ, or anyone that has reliable service.

Been running MJ on a powered USB hub since February. Call quality is
fine and dependability seems OK. I used to have to unplug/plug in the
MJ box to reset it every couple of days, but the latest software
update seemed to have eased that. Sometimes when I haven't used it
for a while, it takes maybe a second for the dial tone to start, which
for the price, I can live with that.