Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Magic Jack and a power hub

metspitzer wrote:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:17:00 -0500, "Leroy"
wrote:

cpu speed is close to the minimum suggested, did you
monitor cpu % utilization? Did you try the MJ on
another box, preferably at a different broadband
connection?

Yeah, I used Fast Defrag. It reported anywhere from 5 to 15% with
nothing loaded. I tried it on the only computer that stays on 24/7.

The fact that some calls were crystal clear and some were crap, pretty
much convinced me it was not my computer. Outgoing calls were more
reliable than incoming.

The DSL reports forum with hit and miss results confirmed my
suspicions. I think there are too many sock puppets at the DSL
reports site to be unbiased. I also get too many people trying to
steer me there.

Seems to be the usual thing you run into with this sort of thing. People
get all excited about cheap and won't admit there are flaws mixed in
with the sock puppets equals useless.

It is not there yet. I really, really wish it were.

I didn't bother for a couple reasons. It uses an advertising driven
model which has never proven to be successful. Can you think of one of
the "free" or really cheap ad driven ISPs that are still around?

Second reason is I can't see leaving a computer on continuously just to
use the phone.

A powered hub
would have been a small cost to try, but I didn't. I really have no
other need for a powered hub. Maybe others will, and report positive
results.

Maybe with rock solid voice mail it might be a keeper.