Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Ripping" 1x6 fence pickets

I need to finish off my wood fence at the edges and cornes, where I cannot
use a normal 1x6 picket because it's less than 6" in width.

I would need to rip about half a dozen pieces of 6' tall pickets in varying
widths.

I went to the big borg store thinking they could do it for me but no ripping
and nothing less than 12". So I have to do it myself.

I don't have a table saw nor a jig saw. I have a compound miter saw, a
recipricating saw, and an angle grinder. I don't have a circular saw
either. Which tool I have is the easiest? I am thinking to use the
recipricating saw but the cut won't be clean and smooth?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

I need to finish off my wood fence at the edges and cornes, where I
cannot use a normal 1x6 picket because it's less than 6" in width.

I would need to rip about half a dozen pieces of 6' tall pickets in
varying widths.

I went to the big borg store thinking they could do it for me but no
ripping and nothing less than 12". So I have to do it myself.

I don't have a table saw nor a jig saw. I have a compound miter saw,
a recipricating saw, and an angle grinder. I don't have a circular
saw either. Which tool I have is the easiest? I am thinking to use
the recipricating saw but the cut won't be clean and smooth?

MC

No buds with a table saw or radial arm saw? You can get a cheap Skill
circular saw for maybe $39. You would have to temporairly fasten the
picket to something while cutting it and use a board as a jig if you want
it really really straight like a table saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote in
.128:

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

I need to finish off my wood fence at the edges and cornes, where I
cannot use a normal 1x6 picket because it's less than 6" in width.

I would need to rip about half a dozen pieces of 6' tall pickets in
varying widths.

I went to the big borg store thinking they could do it for me but no
ripping and nothing less than 12". So I have to do it myself.

I don't have a table saw nor a jig saw. I have a compound miter saw,
a recipricating saw, and an angle grinder. I don't have a circular
saw either. Which tool I have is the easiest? I am thinking to use
the recipricating saw but the cut won't be clean and smooth?

What kind of tools do your friends have? If you were my neighbor, I'd
rip some boards for you for a beer.

I rip farts for free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 6:52*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I need to finish off my wood fence at the edges and cornes, where I cannot
use a normal 1x6 picket because it's less than 6" in width.

I would need to rip about half a dozen pieces of 6' tall pickets in varying
widths.

I went to the big borg store thinking they could do it for me but no ripping
and nothing less than 12". *So I have to do it myself.

I don't have a table saw nor a jig saw. *I have a compound miter saw, a
recipricating saw, and an angle grinder. *I don't have a circular saw
either. *Which tool I have is the easiest? *I am thinking to use the
recipricating saw but the cut won't be clean and smooth?

MC

none of the tools you have are appropriate to the job

I would suggest getting a used table saw on craigslist (cheap) & then
either keep it when you're done or resell it.

Or rent one? But I doubt anyone rents table sawa.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
none of the tools you have are appropriate to the job

I would suggest getting a used table saw on craigslist (cheap) & then
either keep it when you're done or resell it.

Or rent one? But I doubt anyone rents table sawa.

cheers
Bob

***************************************
I don't usually recommend cheap tools, but a $200 saw from Sears is adequate
for the job and will last the typical homeowner for many years. I see them
for sale all the time used too.

Just be sure to take the time to find out how to use on properly and safely,
make a couple of push sticks and learn how to set the fence to avoid
kickback. Never use the miter to crosscut with the fence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

I need to finish off my wood fence at the edges and cornes, where I
cannot use a normal 1x6 picket because it's less than 6" in width.

I would need to rip about half a dozen pieces of 6' tall pickets in
varying widths.

I went to the big borg store thinking they could do it for me but no
ripping and nothing less than 12". So I have to do it myself.

I don't have a table saw nor a jig saw. I have a compound miter saw,
a recipricating saw, and an angle grinder. I don't have a circular
saw either. Which tool I have is the easiest? I am thinking to use
the recipricating saw but the cut won't be clean and smooth?

What kind of tools do your friends have? If you were my neighbor, I'd rip
some boards for you for a beer.

Seriously, if you own a house and are up to projects like building a
fence, you NEED a circular saw. You don't need a pro-grade for the
couple of hours a year of cutting you will be doing, one of the 50-buck
ones is fine. You spent several hundred on the wood for the fence- go
buy whatever cheap corded saw the big-box has on sale, and a couple of
those big-ass spring clamps, and you are all set. Lay out and clamp on a
couple of sawhorses using another board as a straightedge, and in a
couple of minutes you will be done. Some things are not worth doing the
hard way.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Quote: MiamiCuse wrote on Sat, 21 June 2008 20:52
I need to finish off my wood fence at the edges and cornes, where I cannot
use a normal 1x6 picket because it's less than 6" in width.

I would need to rip about half a dozen pieces of 6' tall pickets in varying
widths.

I went to the big borg store thinking they could do it for me but no ripping
and nothing less than 12". So I have to do it myself.

I don't have a table saw nor a jig saw. I have a compound miter saw, a
recipricating saw, and an angle grinder. I don't have a circular saw
either. Which tool I have is the easiest? I am thinking to use the
recipricating saw but the cut won't be clean and smooth?

MC

Your best bet is some sort of circular saw, either table or hand-held. Buying a table saw would work but it is not as versatile as a hand-held.

I'll tell you one of my best tool buys of all time was a cordless craftsmen kit that had a small cordless circular saw (I think 6" or 8" blade) and cordless drill. Also came with a flashlight. All three use the same battery pack (18v) and there were two batteries included so you could have one charging while using another. I think I found it on sale for $200 but that was 5+ years ago. It all still works great and I use the drill or saw every other month of so. In fact the last project was 300 ft2 of engineered hardwood and I used the little saw for the whole job (just cutting the lengths to size as needed).

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that if you find a good cordless saw it will be really handy in many situations like you describe. It can rip those 1x6 with no problem (has a guide to keep you at constant width).

I would not recommend a table saw because it would not be as useful in the long run.

Hope that helps.

--
Richard Thoms
Founder - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 9:52 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I need to finish off my wood fence at the edges and cornes, where I cannot
use a normal 1x6 picket because it's less than 6" in width.

I would need to rip about half a dozen pieces of 6' tall pickets in varying
widths.

I went to the big borg store thinking they could do it for me but no ripping
and nothing less than 12". So I have to do it myself.

I don't have a table saw nor a jig saw. I have a compound miter saw, a
recipricating saw, and an angle grinder. I don't have a circular saw
either. Which tool I have is the easiest? I am thinking to use the
recipricating saw but the cut won't be clean and smooth?

How you can do remodeling without a circular saw, at the very least,
is beyond my comprehension.
Buy one - they're cheap enough and you'll find all sorts of uses for
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

topservicepros richard[at]topservicepros[dot]com wrote in
:

[...]

I'm not sure why or if it's the same for others but it seems each
paragraph of all your posts show up as a single line. Anyone else seeing
this?

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:37:21 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

topservicepros richard[at]topservicepros[dot]com wrote in
m:

[...]

Looks fine to me, and I'm using Agent 3.3.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"BobK207" wrote in message
none of the tools you have are appropriate to the job

I would suggest getting a used table saw on craigslist (cheap) & then
either keep it when you're done or resell it.

Or rent one? But I doubt anyone rents table sawa.

cheers
Bob

***************************************
I don't usually recommend cheap tools, but a $200 saw from Sears is
adequate for the job and will last the typical homeowner for many
years. I see them for sale all the time used too.

Just be sure to take the time to find out how to use on properly and
safely, make a couple of push sticks and learn how to set the fence to
avoid kickback. Never use the miter to crosscut with the fence.

Heck, if you want econo, Blue Borg even has one on a stand (no wheels or
folding) for $99. It's that Task Force line. Then a couple of Firestorms
for 129 & 139 then the entry level Hitachi for 229.

Here's the link to the list of em Miami if your considering it.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&Ntt=table%20saw&Ntk=i_tools &Ns=p_product_price|0&N=0&sortOp=lowToHigh
Posted to alt.home.repair

hhhhhttp://www.TopServicePros.com

I'm not sure why or if it's the same for others but it seems each
paragraph of all your posts show up as a single line. Anyone else seeing
this?

Yes. It's like he has no margins set. Have to read sideways

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2008 8:43 AM S. Barker spake thus:

Here's a novel concept. And a less than ten dollar solution.

http://tinyurl.com/4b86tz

I get "The product you are trying to view is not currently available."

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I need to finish off my wood fence at the edges and cornes, where I cannot
use a normal 1x6 picket because it's less than 6" in width.

I would need to rip about half a dozen pieces of 6' tall pickets in
varying widths.

I went to the big borg store thinking they could do it for me but no
ripping and nothing less than 12". So I have to do it myself.

I don't have a table saw nor a jig saw. I have a compound miter saw, a
recipricating saw, and an angle grinder. I don't have a circular saw
either. Which tool I have is the easiest? I am thinking to use the
recipricating saw but the cut won't be clean and smooth?

MC

An inexpensive circular saw, carbine blade and the rip fence made for the
saw you buy makes a poor man's table saw for ripping the occasional board.

If your cuts are not straight ( same amount needs to be removed all along
the board), skip the fence and use a spare board as others have suggested.

Seriously a circular saw should be the next tool a DIY homeowner buys. A
drill always seems to be the first item needed.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

KLS wrote in
:

wrote:

topservicepros richard[at]topservicepros[dot]com wrote in
om:

[...]

Odd. Everyone's posts OK except for topservicepros. Oh well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote in
.128:

I'm not sure why or if it's the same for others but it seems each
paragraph of all your posts show up as a single line. Anyone else seeing
this?

You need to enable wrapping.

It's ONLY posts from him. All his posts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote in message
hmmm... the link still works for me.

Not for me. You may have a cookie with your zip code for location.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

I'm not sure why or if it's the same for others but it seems each
paragraph of all your posts show up as a single line. Anyone else
seeing this?

Looks okay here...

I see you're using X-News instead of Microsoft's Outlook Express.

Using an un-approved newsreader may void your warranty and cause a toad
infestation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Red Green wrote:

I'm not sure why or if it's the same for others but it seems each
paragraph of all your posts show up as a single line. Anyone else
seeing this?

Looks okay here...

Thanks for the reply.

I see you're using X-News instead of Microsoft's Outlook Express.

Using an un-approved newsreader may void your warranty and cause a toad
infestation.

Keeps the snakes fed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

$100 Sears table saw.

Not a lot of power but enough for a lot and plenty for the 1x6 ripping.
IK use my constantly
Posted to alt.home.repair

RandyCorona wrote in
:

$100 Sears table saw.

Not a lot of power but enough for a lot and plenty for the 1x6 ripping.
IK use my constantly

Wonder if that fat ******* Sear's Whore Vila is still getting residuals
from them. Go to The Borg or Harbor Freight :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I need to finish off my wood fence at the edges and cornes, where I cannot
use a normal 1x6 picket because it's less than 6" in width.

I would need to rip about half a dozen pieces of 6' tall pickets in
varying widths.

I went to the big borg store thinking they could do it for me but no
ripping and nothing less than 12". So I have to do it myself.

I don't have a table saw nor a jig saw. I have a compound miter saw, a
recipricating saw, and an angle grinder. I don't have a circular saw
either. Which tool I have is the easiest? I am thinking to use the
recipricating saw but the cut won't be clean and smooth?

MC

The recip saw is the one to use and it will cut clean and smooth if you use
another fence board as a guide.

Unusual you have a compound miter saw, recip saw and an anger grinder but no
circular saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Al Bundy (is this the Al Bundy )

Thanks for pointing out the issue about my paragraphs being one long line. I think it is because I'm using a forum mirror to post the messages. Technically the reader agent is supposed to be able to wrap the text (cut it down) but I think I can tweak this forum to wrap the text on the way out.

So I've made the change. Please let me know if above is one long line or has been nicely chopped into separate lines.

Sorry to others as this is off-topic but I may need to make a few "test" posts to get this straightened out.

This newsgroup is amazing in it's depth of knowledge and helpfulness and really not much SPAM in the mix. I'd like to contribute too!

--
Richard Thoms
Founder - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Connecting Homeowners and Local Service Professionals
http://www.TopServicePros.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yep, my former handle. Good catch! I thought Red Green (if you know the
show) is sarcastically more appropriate.

No, it's still one line. It's probably an XNews issue and it's no biggie.
As you can see above, once the text is quoted in a reply, it properly
wraps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK here is one more tweak and then I'll call it a day and quit testing on
this forum. Another long paragraph with lots of blah blah blah words.
Activated wordwrap function in another spot and lets see if this comes out
as a single line or gets broken into ~75 char lines.

How about the above? 1 line or 4-5?

--
Richard Thoms
Founder - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Connecting Homeowners and Local Service Professionals
http://www.TopServicePros.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:43:10 -0500, topservicepros
richard[at]topservicepros[dot]com wrote:

OK here is one more tweak and then I'll call it a day and quit testing on
this forum. Another long paragraph with lots of blah blah blah words.
Activated wordwrap function in another spot and lets see if this comes out
as a single line or gets broken into ~75 char lines.

How about the above? 1 line or 4-5?

That worked from my view. The most recent was the one liners.

Looks good..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"topservicepros" richard[at]topservicepros[dot]com wrote in message
[...]

I use outhouse express and your formatting is now fine.

What are the people having problems using?

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

topservicepros richard[at]topservicepros[dot]com wrote in
:

OK here is one more tweak and then I'll call it a day and quit testing
on this forum. Another long paragraph with lots of blah blah blah
words. Activated wordwrap function in another spot and lets see if
this comes out as a single line or gets broken into ~75 char lines.

How about the above? 1 line or 4-5?

--
Richard Thoms
Founder - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Connecting Homeowners and Local Service Professionals
http://www.TopServicePros.com

Lookin' good mon! 4 lines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It is an alternative. I thought about it but I am lazy...actually I could
have done it with a handsaw with the amount of time I have idled over this.

Problem is I am doing a whole house remodeling and I have at any point in
time 40 projects going at the same time, so once I hit a road block, I move
on to another item, in the mean time give me time to think and strategize...

Its like I am mending the chicken fence and chasing 30 chickens at the same
time...LOL.

MC

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
me too. what is the link supposed to point to? not a hand saw I hope
: )

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 6/22/2008 8:43 AM S. Barker spake thus:

Here's a novel concept. And a less than ten dollar solution.

http://tinyurl.com/4b86tz

I get "The product you are trying to view is not currently available."

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
me too. what is the link supposed to point to? not a hand saw I
hope
: )

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 6/22/2008 8:43 AM S. Barker spake thus:

Here's a novel concept. And a less than ten dollar solution.

http://tinyurl.com/4b86tz

I get "The product you are trying to view is not currently
available."

--
"Wikipedia ... it reminds me ... of dogs barking idiotically
through endless nights. It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps
insanely up the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble.
It is flap and doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken

A whole house remodeling and you don't have even an econo circular saw.

Why?