Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default "Ripping" 1x6 fence pickets

Steve wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

I need to finish off my wood fence at the edges and cornes, where I
cannot use a normal 1x6 picket because it's less than 6" in width.

I would need to rip about half a dozen pieces of 6' tall pickets in
varying widths.

I went to the big borg store thinking they could do it for me but no
ripping and nothing less than 12". So I have to do it myself.

I don't have a table saw nor a jig saw. I have a compound miter saw,
a recipricating saw, and an angle grinder. I don't have a circular
saw either. Which tool I have is the easiest? I am thinking to use
the recipricating saw but the cut won't be clean and smooth?

What kind of tools do your friends have? If you were my neighbor, I'd rip
some boards for you for a beer.

Seriously, if you own a house and are up to projects like building a
fence, you NEED a circular saw. You don't need a pro-grade for the
couple of hours a year of cutting you will be doing, one of the 50-buck
ones is fine. You spent several hundred on the wood for the fence- go
buy whatever cheap corded saw the big-box has on sale, and a couple of
those big-ass spring clamps, and you are all set. Lay out and clamp on a
couple of sawhorses using another board as a straightedge, and in a
couple of minutes you will be done. Some things are not worth doing the
hard way.

--
aem sends...