Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

Default "Ripping" 1x6 fence pickets

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:37:21 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

topservicepros richard[at]topservicepros[dot]com wrote in
m:

Quote: MiamiCuse wrote on Sat, 21 June 2008 20:52
I need to finish off my wood fence at the edges and cornes, where I
cannot use a normal 1x6 picket because it's less than 6" in width.

I would need to rip about half a dozen pieces of 6' tall pickets in
varying widths.

I went to the big borg store thinking they could do it for me but no
ripping and nothing less than 12". So I have to do it myself.

I don't have a table saw nor a jig saw. I have a compound miter saw,
a recipricating saw, and an angle grinder. I don't have a circular
saw either. Which tool I have is the easiest? I am thinking to use
the recipricating saw but the cut won't be clean and smooth?

MC

Your best bet is some sort of circular saw, either table or hand-held. Buying a table saw would work but it is not as versatile as a hand-held.

I'll tell you one of my best tool buys of all time was a cordless craftsmen kit that had a small cordless circular saw (I think 6" or 8" blade) and cordless drill. Also came with a flashlight. All three use the same battery pack (18v) and there were two batteries included so you could have one charging while using another. I think I found it on sale for $200 but that was 5+ years ago. It all still works great and I use the drill or saw every other month of so. In fact the last project was 300 ft2 of engineered hardwood and I used the little saw for the whole job (just cutting the lengths to size as needed).

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that if you find a good cordless saw it will be really handy in many situations like you describe. It can rip those 1x6 with no problem (has a guide to keep you at constant width).

I would not recommend a table saw because it would not be as useful in the long run.

Hope that helps.

--
Richard Thoms
Founder - Top Service Pros, Inc.

I'm not sure why or if it's the same for others but it seems each
paragraph of all your posts show up as a single line. Anyone else seeing
this?

Looks fine to me, and I'm using Agent 3.3.