Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buying a Ceiling Fan

The light in our old one, installed before we bought the house ten years
ago, no longer works. The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed
for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three others
in the house.

My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying one? We
plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem pretty cheap, so we
could actually get a pretty nice one if there is a reason to spring for one
of the better models.

Thanks, you guys are just great!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote in message

My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying one? We
plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem pretty cheap, so we
could actually get a pretty nice one if there is a reason to spring for
one of the better models.

The better brands are quiet and smooth. The cheap ones rattle and shake.
I've not bought one in a while so I'm not sure what brands are best these
days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote

My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying one? We
plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem pretty cheap, so we
could actually get a pretty nice one if there is a reason to spring for
one of the better models.

2 pieces of advice. 1- have him take a peek at the attic side of the fan
'foundation' to make sure the rattling isnt from poor construction up there.
He may need to reinforce something. It's good to know in advance so if he
needs to get anything else, he can do it in the same trip. 2- If you can,
try to look at a place that has the fans actually setup with a demo one in
use. Lowes etc usually has that. Some of them don't look as spiffy as you
may think from the box picture.

I made a reverse mistake and got one that looks too spiffy for the bedroom
grin. I need to get new leaves for it in a more dummied down style.
Thats easy to replace though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying one?
We plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem pretty cheap,
so we could actually get a pretty nice one if there is a reason to spring
for one of the better models.

The better brands are quiet and smooth. The cheap ones rattle and shake.

Excellent, I would not have thought of that! Thank you. I just looked at the
Lowe's
and HD web sites, and they start very cheap, so that for $100 I could have a
mid-range one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote

2 pieces of advice. 1- have him take a peek at the attic side of the fan
'foundation' to make sure the rattling isnt from poor construction up
there. He may need to reinforce something. It's good to know in advance
so if he needs to get anything else, he can do it in the same trip. 2- If
you can, try to look at a place that has the fans actually setup with a
demo one in use. Lowes etc usually has that. Some of them don't look as
spiffy as you may think from the box picture.

Excellent idea, thank you! Lowes it is. I think Ace Hardware also has them
set up, or one around here does. HD tends to be more expensive from what
I have seen.

I made a reverse mistake and got one that looks too spiffy for the bedroom
grin. I need to get new leaves for it in a more dummied down style.
Thats easy to replace though.

I saw some pretty fancy ones for $250. Our kitchen is tiny, typical
1960s split level, three doors going off of it, one to the hall, one
downstairs,
one to the dining room. One of those built-in tables coming off one wall,
that sort of thing. My preference would be to gut the whole thing, but that
is not a priority at the moment. I wish it was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote
what are the factors I should consider when buying one?

One thing I think important is getting one that isn't too small for the
room.
http://tinyurl.com/6xmob9

Posted to alt.home.repair

cybercat wrote:

The light in our old one, installed before we bought the house ten years
ago, no longer works. The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed
for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three
others in the house.

My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying one? We
plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem pretty cheap, so we
could actually get a pretty nice one if there is a reason to spring for
one of the better models.

Thanks, you guys are just great!

Make sure the mounting box is secured to the ceiling joists and it's meant
for a ceiling FAN. You'd be surprised what a lot of people think will work.
You can find a proper ceiling fan mount at any of the box stores. It's easy
to install. Some of your choices are, fans with remote controls if your not
3 wired for separate fan and light controls. Separate dimmer switch and fan
switch control on wall. Fan only, fan with light kit, size of fan, use of
down rod depending on height of ceiling. Flush mount. Ceiling fans are not
only for looks they move air in the right directions, so take that into
consideration. In Summer, you want the fan to take cool air with sinks, up
into the fan to spread it throughout the room. In Winter you want to take
hot air which rises down to the floor, all this is done with the fan
direction switch. You have many choices and only you can make that
decision.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bonnie" wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote
what are the factors I should consider when buying one?

One thing I think important is getting one that isn't too small for the
room.
http://tinyurl.com/6xmob9

Very nice, helpful site and advice! I just measured, and the kitchen is
about 14X14,
the current fan is a 52-inch. The ceiling is nine feet. I think another
52-inch is what
we will get. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"evodawg" wrote :

Make sure the mounting box is secured to the ceiling joists and it's meant
for a ceiling FAN. You'd be surprised what a lot of people think will
work.

Okay. The joists are the wood supports above the drywall, right?

You can find a proper ceiling fan mount at any of the box stores. It's
easy
to install. Some of your choices are, fans with remote controls if your
not
3 wired for separate fan and light controls. Separate dimmer switch and
fan
switch control on wall. Fan only, fan with light kit, size of fan, use of
down rod depending on height of ceiling. Flush mount. Ceiling fans are not
only for looks they move air in the right directions, so take that into
consideration. In Summer, you want the fan to take cool air with sinks, up
into the fan to spread it throughout the room. In Winter you want to take
hot air which rises down to the floor, all this is done with the fan
direction switch. You have many choices and only you can make that
decision.

I did not know any of this. Thanks for your input.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cybercat wrote:

Okay. The joists are the wood supports above the drywall, right?

Yes

I did not know any of this. Thanks for your input.

One thing about size, does the one installed now look like it belongs there?
Sometimes depending on room size they look like they disappear. You don't
want that look. Get as big of one as you can that does not look out of
place.

Take a look at my website for ideas.

http://rentmyhusband.co.nr/

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 12:58*pm, evodawg wrote:
cybercat wrote:
[...]

I have two Hampton Bays that were cheap and both work great. I only
paid $60 for one of them, maybe $90 for the other. They are quiet,
zero vibration.

I also have a Hunter fan that's 24 years old and came with the
house. In the literature the previous owner left there was a price
guide. This sucker cost $275 - 325 back in 1984. And guess what?
It's not even reversible! They did offer an optional kit that would
make it reverse. It's a contraption with a lever that flips the
pitch on the blades! Unbelievable. Also, unlike my cheap fans, it
does make some noise. Fans have come a long way since then. If you
adjusted that price for inflation, it would probably be about double
today, or $600. And for less than $100 you can get one that's much
better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote

The better brands are quiet and smooth. The cheap ones rattle and shake.

Excellent, I would not have thought of that! Thank you. I just looked at
the Lowe's
and HD web sites, and they start very cheap, so that for $100 I could have
a mid-range one.

Thats what we did. 2 weeks later I saw the identical model for 35$ at Kmart
grin. I would not have know it was a decent model though if I hadnt seen
it working at Lowes. Paid 75$ (this is the smaller one for the bedroom).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote

One thing I think important is getting one that isn't too small for the
room.
http://tinyurl.com/6xmob9

Very nice, helpful site and advice! I just measured, and the kitchen is
about 14X14, the current fan is a 52-inch. The ceiling is nine feet. I
think another 52-inch is what we will get. Thank you.

They also have the kits at that site to reinforce mounting if there's a
problem causing the wobbles up above. Lowes probably has them too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cybercat wrote:
The light in our old one, installed before we bought the house ten
years ago, no longer works. The whole unit has rattled like crazy at
high speed for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three
others in the house.

My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying
one? We plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem pretty
cheap, so we could actually get a pretty nice one if there is a
reason to spring for one of the better models.

Hunter *originals* (they sell cheaper ones too) are among the more expensive
fans but it will be the last fine you'll ever need to buy (as long as you
keep oil in the reservoir). Any fan may shake or shimmy unless/until you
balance the blades.

http://www.hunterfan.com/pages/cat_c...ns_results.php

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

cybercat wrote:
The light in our old one, installed before we bought the house ten
years ago, no longer works. The whole unit has rattled like crazy at
high speed for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three
others in the house.

My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying
one? We plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem pretty
cheap, so we could actually get a pretty nice one if there is a
reason to spring for one of the better models.

Thanks, you guys are just great!

Remote control is nice so you don't have to get out of bed after working up
a sweat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 May 2008 12:18:54 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"cybercat" wrote in message

My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying one? We
plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem pretty cheap, so we
could actually get a pretty nice one if there is a reason to spring for
one of the better models.

The better brands are quiet and smooth. The cheap ones rattle and shake.
I've not bought one in a while so I'm not sure what brands are best these
days.

The ceiling fan in my bedroom cost $30 at K-mart about 9 years ago.
It's only rattled once in that time. Then the screws that hold the
blades on had come loose.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote in message
om...
The light in our old one, installed before we bought the house ten years
ago, no longer works. The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed
for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three
others in the house.

My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying one? We
plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem pretty cheap, so we
could actually get a pretty nice one if there is a reason to spring for
one of the better models.

Thanks, you guys are just great!

I've long been a fan of Casablanca intellitouch fans. They tend to be
absolutely silent and perfectly balanced, but at a starting price of around
$300, they're out of a lot of folks price range. Hampton bay is not a brand,
but rather a trademark of Home Depot. The fans are actually made by a
variety of companies, some are exellent for the price, and I recommend these
without hesitation, having hung hundreds, I've rarely had bad ones. The one
fan I would recommend not buying is Hunter. Hunter actually ownes
Casablanca. Many of their fans are extremely heavy and require special
mounting, beyond the standard "fan support box".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 11:16*am, "cybercat" wrote:
The light in our old one, installed before we bought the house ten years
ago, no longer works. The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed
for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three others
in the house.

My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying one? We
plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem pretty cheap, so we
could actually get a pretty nice one if there is a reason to spring for one
of the better models.

Thanks, you guys are just great!

Alot of cheaper fans use a very small base bulb which limits you in
wattage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote in
om:

"cybercat" wrote in message

My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying
one? We plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem
pretty cheap, so we could actually get a pretty nice one if there is
a reason to spring for one of the better models.

The better brands are quiet and smooth. The cheap ones rattle and
shake.

Excellent, I would not have thought of that! Thank you. I just looked
at the Lowe's
and HD web sites, and they start very cheap, so that for $100 I could
have a mid-range one.

Got to WalMart. You can get one for 29 bucks that sways like a hula
dancer at no extra charge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

cybercat wrote:
The light in our old one, installed before we bought the house ten
years ago, no longer works. The whole unit has rattled like crazy at
high speed for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three
others in the house.

My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying
one? We plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem pretty
cheap, so we could actually get a pretty nice one if there is a
reason to spring for one of the better models.

Thanks, you guys are just great!

Remote control is nice so you don't have to get out of bed after
working up a sweat.

....and you live alone did you say? :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote:

Alot of cheaper fans use a very small base bulb which limits you in
wattage.

I saw this today! The unit we liked the best used three 40-watt bulbs.
And, did you know you can't use regular bulbs in the newer ones? The
Lowe's lady said it was a recent thing, she called it some sort of
marketing conspiracy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote
They also have the kits at that site to reinforce mounting if there's a
problem causing the wobbles up above. Lowes probably has them too.

It seems the mounting is okay, but this would not be the first time my
husband has been wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote

Hunter *originals* (they sell cheaper ones too) are among the more
expensive fans but it will be the last fine you'll ever need to buy (as
long as you keep oil in the reservoir).

I saw a lot of Hunter fans today! None quite right, but both Lowe's
and HD had pretty limited selection in the kind we wanted. (Meaning
no stem because the ceiling is too low, right size and color, that
sort of thing.) I plan to order one online because I want golden
oak or maple blades and they were rare in the box stores.

Any fan may shake or shimmy unless/until you balance the blades.

Good to know. I'll visit the site below. Thank you.

http://www.hunterfan.com/pages/cat_c...ns_results.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2008 6:22 PM Red Green spake thus:

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

cybercat wrote:

Thanks, you guys are just great!

Remote control is nice so you don't have to get out of bed after
working up a sweat.

...and you live alone did you say? :-)

Last I checked, living alone didn't necessarily mean *sleeping* alone ...

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote
I've long been a fan of Casablanca intellitouch fans. They tend to be
absolutely silent and perfectly balanced, but at a starting price of
around $300, they're out of a lot of folks price range.

I could spend this if I really loved the fan and light. Of course I would
rather not!

Hampton bay is not a brand, but rather a trademark of Home Depot. The fans
are actually made by a variety of companies, some are exellent for the
price, and I recommend these without hesitation, having hung hundreds, I've
rarely had bad ones.

Very good to know. I will check them out online, I think the selection is
probably better.

The one fan I would recommend not buying is Hunter. Hunter actually ownes
Casablanca. Many of their fans are extremely heavy and require special
mounting, beyond the standard "fan support box".

That's very good to know. They do make some pretty ones, but this is
a 1960s split level, I don't want to do anything big until I can knock out
the walls on the first floor (except the fireplace wall) and gut the
kitchen.
Years away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
I have two Hampton Bays that were cheap and both work great. I only
paid $60 for one of them, maybe $90 for the other. They are quiet,
zero vibration.

Another good word for HB!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote in news:482f8689$0$2974
:

"cshenk" wrote
They also have the kits at that site to reinforce mounting if there's a
problem causing the wobbles up above. Lowes probably has them too.

It seems the mounting is okay, but this would not be the first time my
husband has been wrong.

would not be the first time my
husband has been wrong.

Are you sure you're not wrong about that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote in
om:

"RBM" wrote
I've long been a fan of Casablanca intellitouch fans. They tend to be
absolutely silent and perfectly balanced, but at a starting price of
around $300, they're out of a lot of folks price range.

I could spend this if I really loved the fan and light. Of course I
would rather not!

Good thing about it is even though they last so long you can still repair
it if necessary. Few months back someone had a 15yr old Casablanca that
did odd things with speeds as well as hummed. After making sure dimmer
was not sending it for a loop, I looked at Casablanca's website. Based on
the model number, they had a new elecronics kit for it. New board,
reverse switch and pullchain switch. It was like $17 total and fit like
originals. Fan back like new.

Hampton bay is not a brand, but rather a trademark of Home Depot. The
fans are actually made by a variety of companies, some are exellent
for the price, and I recommend these without hesitation, having hung
hundreds, I've rarely had bad ones.

Very good to know. I will check them out online, I think the selection
is probably better.

The one fan I would recommend not buying is Hunter. Hunter actually
ownes Casablanca. Many of their fans are extremely heavy and require
special mounting, beyond the standard "fan support box".

That's very good to know. They do make some pretty ones, but this is
a 1960s split level, I don't want to do anything big until I can knock
out the walls on the first floor (except the fireplace wall) and gut
the kitchen.
Years away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote

Good thing about it is even though they last so long you can still repair
it if necessary. Few months back someone had a 15yr old Casablanca that
did odd things with speeds as well as hummed. After making sure dimmer
was not sending it for a loop, I looked at Casablanca's website. Based on
the model number, they had a new elecronics kit for it. New board,
reverse switch and pullchain switch. It was like $17 total and fit like
originals. Fan back like new.

I definitely want to buy the best quality I can. I see the value in this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote in news:482f8689$0$2974
:

"cshenk" wrote
They also have the kits at that site to reinforce mounting if there's a
problem causing the wobbles up above. Lowes probably has them too.

It seems the mounting is okay, but this would not be the first time my
husband has been wrong.

would not be the first time my
husband has been wrong.

Are you sure you're not wrong about that?

Oh please. I am never wrong, I am the WIFE.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cybercat wrote:

Oh please. I am never wrong, I am the WIFE.

check this site out

http://www.ceiling-fan-wizard.com/
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote in message
My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying one?
We plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow.

Whatever one goes best with your decor (female decider) that they're selling
at Lowes or Home Depot

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote in message
newsuNXj.147708$Cj7.123708@pd7urf2no...
"cybercat" wrote in message
My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying one?
We plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow.

Whatever one goes best with your decor (female decider) that they're
selling at Lowes or Home Depot

That would be the women *you* hang out with, apparently. My husband and I
agreed on the decorative elements on one of them today, but I did not want
it because I did not like the fact that it took three 40-watt fru-fru
lightbulbs that Lowe's did not even carry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"evodawg" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:

Oh please. I am never wrong, I am the WIFE.

check this site out

http://www.ceiling-fan-wizard.com/
--

Hey, what a GREAT site! Thank you!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote in message
it because I did not like the fact that it took three 40-watt fru-fru
lightbulbs that Lowe's did not even carry.

Smart move. Those bulbs usually give off odd colored light and burn out
fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cybercat wrote:

Thanks, you guys are just great!

Remote control is nice so you don't have to get out of bed after
working up a sweat.

...and you live alone did you say? :-)

Last I checked, living alone didn't necessarily mean *sleeping* alone

Inventing a complicated, but believable, excuse to leave is exhausting ("I
have to go" is an example). Getting out of bed to adjust the fan, then
getting lost on the return trip, is much easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:20:14 -0400, Steve B. you
wrote:

On Sat, 17 May 2008 21:32:49 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

I saw a lot of Hunter fans today! None quite right, but both Lowe's
and HD had pretty limited selection in the kind we wanted. (Meaning
no stem because the ceiling is too low, right size and color, that
sort of thing.) I plan to order one online because I want golden
oak or maple blades and they were rare in the box stores.

Hunter is my favorite brand. On some of the cheapies I have seen in
the past the blade pitch is such that the just don't move any air.
Turn the sucker on high and it shakes, rattles, knocks and swings but
stand under it and you can't even feel a good breeze. My current
Hunter is perfectly still on high and moves enough air to have the
bedroom curtains all wiggling about when it is on high.

Be aware that most of the fans have multiple mounting options so the
one you are looking at may be able to mount differently. On the ones
I just replaced you could do the downrod mounts or the upper "bell"
could be attached directly to the fan and then to ceiling mount. Go
to http://www.hunterfan.com/pages/hunter_advantage.php and look half
way down the page and you will see what I mean about the different
ways to mount.

Steve B.

Hunters are fine. I like Casablanca as well. Stay away from the
no-name brands that Lowes and HD sells. They're crap.

My philosophy on fans is much like paint. Buy the good stuff, it's
too much of a pain to have to re-do it again in a year.

Two adjacent ceiling lights. Need two ceiling boxes? fourrings Home Repair 11 November 14th 07 02:15 PM
Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles bluerock1 Home Repair 4 November 8th 06 05:10 AM
Old Ceiling Fan/Light gone with two wires coming from the ceiling CJ Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 03:22 PM
Vaulted Ceiling--Installing Ceiling Fans Dave Combs Home Repair 0 July 31st 05 02:24 AM
House buying 101 -- simple house-buying terms defined Ablang Home Ownership 0 June 11th 05 03:14 AM