Posted to alt.home.repair
evodawg evodawg is offline

Default Buying a Ceiling Fan

wrote:

I have two Hampton Bays that were cheap and both work great. I only
paid $60 for one of them, maybe $90 for the other. They are quiet,
zero vibration.

I also have a Hunter fan that's 24 years old and came with the
house. In the literature the previous owner left there was a price
guide. This sucker cost $275 - 325 back in 1984. And guess what?
It's not even reversible! They did offer an optional kit that would
make it reverse. It's a contraption with a lever that flips the
pitch on the blades! Unbelievable. Also, unlike my cheap fans, it
does make some noise. Fans have come a long way since then. If you
adjusted that price for inflation, it would probably be about double
today, or $600. And for less than $100 you can get one that's much
better.

Yes but most fans today are not built in the USA. Most are now built in
China, so only time will tell if they outlast the older ones. I doubt they
will.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"