Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buying a Ceiling Fan

01dyna wrote:
On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:20:14 -0400, Steve B. you
wrote:

On Sat, 17 May 2008 21:32:49 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

I saw a lot of Hunter fans today! None quite right, but both Lowe's
and HD had pretty limited selection in the kind we wanted. (Meaning
no stem because the ceiling is too low, right size and color, that
sort of thing.) I plan to order one online because I want golden
oak or maple blades and they were rare in the box stores.

Hunter is my favorite brand. On some of the cheapies I have seen in
the past the blade pitch is such that the just don't move any air.
Turn the sucker on high and it shakes, rattles, knocks and swings but
stand under it and you can't even feel a good breeze. My current
Hunter is perfectly still on high and moves enough air to have the
bedroom curtains all wiggling about when it is on high.

Be aware that most of the fans have multiple mounting options so the
one you are looking at may be able to mount differently. On the ones
I just replaced you could do the downrod mounts or the upper "bell"
could be attached directly to the fan and then to ceiling mount. Go
to http://www.hunterfan.com/pages/hunter_advantage.php and look half
way down the page and you will see what I mean about the different
ways to mount.

Steve B.

Hunters are fine. I like Casablanca as well. Stay away from the
no-name brands that Lowes and HD sells. They're crap.

My philosophy on fans is much like paint. Buy the good stuff, it's
too much of a pain to have to re-do it again in a year.

Yabut For a quite awhile Home Depot's store brand paint was the highest
rated. I had one of their fans for 16 years with NO problems. Anyone
who automatically thinks the "name" brands are always better probably
thinks the highest price gas is better too.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/17/2008 6:22 PM Red Green spake thus:

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

cybercat wrote:

Thanks, you guys are just great!

Remote control is nice so you don't have to get out of bed after
working up a sweat.

...and you live alone did you say? :-)

Last I checked, living alone didn't necessarily mean *sleeping* alone

Inventing a complicated, but believable, excuse to leave is exhausting ("I
have to go" is an example). Getting out of bed to adjust the fan, then
getting lost on the return trip, is much easier.

Are you thinking anyone believes that you are in this much demand?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

cybercat wrote:
The light in our old one, installed before we bought the house ten years
ago, no longer works. The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed
for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three others
in the house.

My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying one? We
plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem pretty cheap, so we
could actually get a pretty nice one if there is a reason to spring for one
of the better models.

Thanks, you guys are just great!

I installed three in a rental recently.

If you're getting one with lights find one where the light is an
integral part of the motor housing, and not an attachment that's bolted
on below the motor.

I had a really hard time finding a fan with a light that wasn't really
obtrusive. I found nothing at Home Depot. At Lowe's I found one.

"http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=75849-22716-L05&lpage=none"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote :

If you're getting one with lights find one where the light is an integral
part of the motor housing, and not an attachment that's bolted on below
the motor.

I had a really hard time finding a fan with a light that wasn't really
obtrusive. I found nothing at Home Depot. At Lowe's I found one.

"http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=75849-22716-L05&lpage=none"

This is the one I really love! When I looked at it, I wondered how well it
cools, given that it has
only three blades. How well do you find it works? And how big is the room(s)
you put it in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote in message

"http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=75849-22716-L05&lpage=none"

This is the one I really love! When I looked at it, I wondered how well it
cools, given that it has
only three blades. How well do you find it works? And how big is the
room(s) you put it in.

More important than the number of blades is the shape or airfoil of them.
Ceiling fans are meant to give a gentle breeze anyway so they should be
fine. Looks better than average IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

"http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=75849-22716-L05&lpage=none"

This is the one I really love! When I looked at it, I wondered how well
it cools, given that it has
only three blades. How well do you find it works? And how big is the
room(s) you put it in.

More important than the number of blades is the shape or airfoil of them.
Ceiling fans are meant to give a gentle breeze anyway so they should be
fine. Looks better than average IMO.

I think this is the one I want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cybercat wrote:
Last I checked, living alone didn't necessarily mean *sleeping*
alone

Inventing a complicated, but believable, excuse to leave is
exhausting ("I have to go" is an example). Getting out of bed to
adjust the fan, then getting lost on the return trip, is much easier.

Are you thinking anyone believes that you are in this much demand?

The proof is in the pudding. Every time I lick my eyebrows in public,
several follow me home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2008 2:34 PM HeyBub spake thus:

cybercat wrote:

Last I checked, living alone didn't necessarily mean *sleeping*
alone

Inventing a complicated, but believable, excuse to leave is
exhausting ("I have to go" is an example). Getting out of bed to
adjust the fan, then getting lost on the return trip, is much easier.

Are you thinking anyone believes that you are in this much demand?

The proof is in the pudding. Every time I lick my eyebrows in public,
several follow me home.

You dog, you!

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yabut For a quite awhile Home Depot's store brand paint was the highest
rated.

In the last Consumer Reports, it still was.. BEHR brand

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote

They also have the kits at that site to reinforce mounting if there's a
problem causing the wobbles up above. Lowes probably has them too.

It seems the mounting is okay, but this would not be the first time my
husband has been wrong.

Ok, hey, the kits are pretty easy to put in so if in doubt and wanting to
not have to go back up into the attic more than once, not a bad deal. Both
of ours now have a kit. The bedroom one wobbled and it was the mounting as
best as we can tell. Took all of 15 mins to add the kit with it's simple
screw points to the beams. Lots of different models out there. I think Don
said this one cost 15$. Sort of x-shaped and fits over the beams
(adjustable) then you put in 3-4 screws on each side of the beam. Supposed
to be for really heavy fans I think? Anyways, most sturdy than what was up
there.

The livingroom fan already had such a unit a bit like it and that one has
never wobbled. It just had the dang thing broken by the renters who seemed
to play basketball or something indoors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

cybercat wrote:
"SMS" wrote :
If you're getting one with lights find one where the light is an integral
part of the motor housing, and not an attachment that's bolted on below
the motor.

I had a really hard time finding a fan with a light that wasn't really
obtrusive. I found nothing at Home Depot. At Lowe's I found one.

"http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=75849-22716-L05&lpage=none"

This is the one I really love! When I looked at it, I wondered how well it
cools, given that it has
only three blades. How well do you find it works? And how big is the room(s)
you put it in.

I have no idea how well it cools because it's in a rental unit. If I
call the tenants to ask, they'll probably demand I install central air
conditioning! The fans were put in in January when it was cold. They
seem to move plenty of air around. The old ones were five blade fans
without lights. The rooms are about 10' x 14'.

You can see pictures of them installed at
"http://nordicgroup.us/apricotmanor/IMG_0030.jpg"
"http://nordicgroup.us/apricotmanor/IMG_0029.jpg"
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed
for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three others
in the house.

HUH? Am I the only one who sees some sort of non-sequitur, here?
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

"cybercat" wrote in message
"http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=75849-22716-L05&lpage=none"
This is the one I really love! When I looked at it, I wondered how well
it cools, given that it has
only three blades. How well do you find it works? And how big is the
room(s) you put it in.

More important than the number of blades is the shape or airfoil of them.
Ceiling fans are meant to give a gentle breeze anyway so they should be
fine. Looks better than average IMO.

I think this is the one I want.

You have very good taste.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

cybercat wrote:
"SMS" wrote :
If you're getting one with lights find one where the light is an integral
part of the motor housing, and not an attachment that's bolted on below
the motor.

I had a really hard time finding a fan with a light that wasn't really
obtrusive. I found nothing at Home Depot. At Lowe's I found one.

"http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=75849-22716-L05&lpage=none"

This is the one I really love! When I looked at it, I wondered how well it
cools, given that it has
only three blades. How well do you find it works? And how big is the room(s)
you put it in.

There was another reason I liked this one. It could be mounted very
close to the ceiling. Actually I would have preferred a flush mount, but
I couldn't find a flush mount with the lights I wanted. Also see
"http://www.hansenwholesale.com/ceilingfans/model.asp?ProdNo=F574-BNW"
which might be good for a kitchen, but not a bedroom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed
for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three
others
in the house.

HUH? Am I the only one who sees some sort of non-sequitur, here?

Your thinking is flawed. We bought the house ten years ago. The fan was
here, installed by the previous owner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed
for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three
others
in the house.

HUH? Am I the only one who sees some sort of non-sequitur, here?

Your thinking is flawed. We bought the house ten years ago. The fan was
here, installed by the previous owner.

You've been putting up with a rattling fan for TEN YEARS, and you have a
husband who knows how to install them. I don't think it's MY thinking
that's flawed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2008 9:33 PM Smitty Two spake thus:

In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed
for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three
others
in the house.

HUH? Am I the only one who sees some sort of non-sequitur, here?

Your thinking is flawed. We bought the house ten years ago. The fan was
here, installed by the previous owner.

You've been putting up with a rattling fan for TEN YEARS, and you have a
husband who knows how to install them. I don't think it's MY thinking
that's flawed.

Well, you know what they say; the carpenter's front door is always
busted, etc.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed
for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three
others
in the house.

HUH? Am I the only one who sees some sort of non-sequitur, here?

Your thinking is flawed. We bought the house ten years ago. The fan was
here, installed by the previous owner.

You've been putting up with a rattling fan for TEN YEARS, and you have a
husband who knows how to install them. I don't think it's MY thinking
that's flawed.

Blow it out your ass, dickhead. I asked for advice on buying a ceiling fan,
not editorial comments on my marriage from a cretinous grease head.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote
You have very good taste.

Why, thank you! I sent my husband the link to it, we'll see if
he likes it.

One thing I wonder about--our present big gawky one has
a large drum-like base that is flush with the ceiling, whereas
this one does not. So we will have to do come cosmetic
repair to the ceiling, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed
for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three
others
in the house.

HUH? Am I the only one who sees some sort of non-sequitur, here?

Your thinking is flawed. We bought the house ten years ago. The fan was
here, installed by the previous owner.

You've been putting up with a rattling fan for TEN YEARS, and you have a
husband who knows how to install them. I don't think it's MY thinking
that's flawed.

And another thing, BONEhead. When we noticed it rattles at high speed,
we stopped running it at high speed, dig? It's 14X14 room with a 52"
fan and just a nine foot ceiling.

Believe it or not, every now and then there are people who find much
more interesting things to do than look at one another and say, "Hey,
you know, that ceiling fan in the kitchen rattles like mad at high speed.
Even though we never run it at high speed, better fix that, rather than,
say, take a trip, go to a show, plant a garden of **** like bunnies a
few hundred times. Can you get your little pinhead around that?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

cybercat wrote:
"SMS" wrote
You have very good taste.

Why, thank you! I sent my husband the link to it, we'll see if
he likes it.

One thing I wonder about--our present big gawky one has
a large drum-like base that is flush with the ceiling, whereas
this one does not. So we will have to do come cosmetic
repair to the ceiling, right?

Or use one of those ceiling fan medallions that cover the hole if it's
bigger than the base.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed
for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three
others
in the house.

HUH? Am I the only one who sees some sort of non-sequitur, here?

Your thinking is flawed. We bought the house ten years ago. The fan was
here, installed by the previous owner.

You've been putting up with a rattling fan for TEN YEARS, and you have a
husband who knows how to install them. I don't think it's MY thinking
that's flawed.

Blow it out your ass, dickhead. I asked for advice on buying a ceiling fan,
not editorial comments on my marriage from a cretinous grease head.

Oops. My inability to type smiley emoticons gets me scolded again. I
love the slur, though. Cretinous grease head. Is that what you call your
german shepard while he's humping you?

I have an idea. If you're not soliciting comments on irrelevant details,
why include them?

And I confess I'm puzzled by your sudden inability to choose your own
fan, since your stud husband has three of them under his belt already.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote in
om:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed
for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed
three others
in the house.

HUH? Am I the only one who sees some sort of non-sequitur, here?

Your thinking is flawed. We bought the house ten years ago. The fan
was here, installed by the previous owner.

You've been putting up with a rattling fan for TEN YEARS, and you
have a husband who knows how to install them. I don't think it's MY
thinking that's flawed.

Blow it out your ass, dickhead. I asked for advice on buying a ceiling
fan, not editorial comments on my marriage from a cretinous grease
head.

"cybercat"

Just like my cat. Real nice, friendly and social. Don't **** her off
though. Quite capable of doing severe damage in the blink of an eye. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:
Yabut For a quite awhile Home Depot's store brand paint was the highest
rated.

In the last Consumer Reports, it still was.. BEHR brand

Thanks! Good reason to avoid it.

--
Black candidate endorsed by former Exalted Cyclops and Grand Kleagle of the
KKK! Film not at 11 or any other time... you're not supposed to know this.

Two adjacent ceiling lights. Need two ceiling boxes? fourrings Home Repair 11 November 14th 07 02:15 PM
Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles bluerock1 Home Repair 4 November 8th 06 05:10 AM
Old Ceiling Fan/Light gone with two wires coming from the ceiling CJ Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 03:22 PM
Vaulted Ceiling--Installing Ceiling Fans Dave Combs Home Repair 0 July 31st 05 02:24 AM
House buying 101 -- simple house-buying terms defined Ablang Home Ownership 0 June 11th 05 03:14 AM