Posted to alt.home.repair
CJ

Default Old Ceiling Fan/Light gone with two wires coming from the ceiling

There was an old ceiling fan/light with a pull chain in which I took
off a week ago. There is a switch in the wall that also controls the
light. When I connected the new light wires (no fan - two 60 watt
bulbs) to the fixtures light wires (two old wires look the same) and
the wall switch wires (14/2) and turned the power on, the ceiling light
bulbs stayed on all the time when the wall switch is off. When I
turned the wall switch on it tripped the breaker in the downstairs
panel.

There were only two wires coming from the ceiling, so I figured one was
hot and one was neutral. Maybe, they were connected to the outlet in
the wall?

Any ideas how I miswired this light?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

CJ wrote:
There was an old ceiling fan/light with a pull chain in which I took
off a week ago. There is a switch in the wall that also controls the
light. When I connected the new light wires (no fan - two 60 watt
bulbs) to the fixtures light wires (two old wires look the same) and
the wall switch wires (14/2) and turned the power on, the ceiling light
bulbs stayed on all the time when the wall switch is off. When I
turned the wall switch on it tripped the breaker in the downstairs
panel.

There were only two wires coming from the ceiling, so I figured one was
hot and one was neutral. Maybe, they were connected to the outlet in
the wall?

Any ideas how I miswired this light?

If I am reading right you have wired:

--------------------------O------------------------
"fixture light wires" | to switch
(power supply) light

--------------------------O------------------------

It should be wired:

--------------------------O------------------------
"fixture light wires" to switch
(power supply)
O------------------------

light

--------------------------O
The NEC requires the top supply wire to be the hot wire (typically
black) and the bottom supply wire to be the neutral (white).
With Romex to the switch - top wire white taped/marked black, bottom
wire black.
The connections are required to be in a junction box which the light
fixture is secured to.

If this looks wrong inquire further.

bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJ

Thanks Bud... After seeing your diagram I realized what I did wrong.
You did your good deed for a month or more.

Chris

question about ceiling fan wiring Angus Home Repair 4 November 21st 06 05:21 PM
Ceiling Fan Steve Home Repair 0 August 7th 05 05:59 PM
Painting of ceiling... Marcus Fox UK diy 2 November 7th 03 07:15 PM
OT electrical question Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 24 August 1st 03 02:36 AM
Popcorn ceiling barry martin Home Repair 4 July 19th 03 12:42 AM