Marcus Fox

Default Painting of ceiling...

I'm going to be painting the ceiling of a 9' x 10' bedroom soon, but I'd
like some advice on preparation before I start. The room is upstairs in a
corner of the house, and instead of being totally level, on the two edges of
the house where the eaves are, it slopes diagonally about 30 degrees down
about 1'6" in from the wall down to about 1" lower than the height of the
rest of the ceiling. I've attempted to reproduce it in ascii art here,
except the angles may be wrong.

-

-

-

Also in the corner of the room, one of the main roof beams protrudes about
6" through the ceiling where the ceiling slopes to meet the eaves. This is
at the juncture of the two sides which slope down as described above.

The ceiling was papered with lining paper in 1998, but due to the beam, it
was more convenient for the decorator to paper the ceiling which drops down
at an angle with paper running perpendicular to each other, rather than
having each one run parallel. As a result, all the other pieces are running
(parallel to the window) with a piece perpendicular to the rest at one end.

I would like to know some way of covering up the joins in this lining paper
as they are visible, the ceiling was painted once in 98, but it didn't hide
the joins. Some of them are coming away at the joins and some air has got in
where the ceiling slopes down and flexes when you press it with your finger.
Also, the previous decorator didn't do such a good job of cutting around the
light fitting and it's jagged. Furthermore, when the wallpaper was stripped
off, a small amount of lining paper was torn off, about 6" by 1', which I'd
like to cover up without having to repaper. On top of that, the ceiling has
been stained with nicotine and what I can only assume is soot from when my
younger brother tried to singe insects with a cigarette lighter(!!)
gathering round the light fitting.

So, what do I do to cover up all this mess before I paint, and what type of
paint do I paint it with?

Marcus

Andrew Mawson

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Marcus,

Steam off the lining paper. Rub down the ceiling with coarse sand paper to
remove any odd bits of paper. Make good any nasties in the plaster with
polyfilla. Use a gloss paint (any old tin) where the nicotine stains are to
stop them coming through. Size it by painting with wall paper paste and
leave to dry. Then re-line it with 1000 grade lining paper. Round the light
fitting you should be able to slacken off the two fixing screws (having
unscrewed the cover with power OFF) which will let you tuck your new paper
behind it to make a nice neat job. Then paint with emulsion paint.

I have taken to painting lining paper whilst it is still damp from hanging -
this seems to avoid the bubbles that form if you leave it to fully dry
before painting (admittedly they shrink away when the paper re-dries but you
know it isn't stuck properly there).

I was forced to try this when I had to do a complete flat in a weekend
between tenants and was amazed how much better it looked - now I do it all
the time but I do mix the paste rather thickly !

Andrew Mawson
Bromley, Kent

Marcus Fox

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the lining paper, just mask the joins
in some way, as it is still in pretty good condition.

Make good any nasties in the plaster with
polyfilla. Use a gloss paint (any old tin) where the nicotine stains are

stop them coming through. Size it by painting with wall paper paste and
leave to dry.

Won't be any nicotine if I take the paper off, but don't really want to do
that.

Then re-line it with 1000 grade lining paper. Round the light
fitting you should be able to slacken off the two fixing screws (having
unscrewed the cover with power OFF) which will let you tuck your new paper
behind it to make a nice neat job. Then paint with emulsion paint.

Couldn't I use a light covering of some kind of filler?

I have taken to painting lining paper whilst it is still damp from

hanging -
this seems to avoid the bubbles that form if you leave it to fully dry
before painting (admittedly they shrink away when the paper re-dries but

you
know it isn't stuck properly there).

I was forced to try this when I had to do a complete flat in a weekend
between tenants and was amazed how much better it looked - now I do it all
the time but I do mix the paste rather thickly !

Thanks,

Marcus

Advice on bathroom lighting in shallow false ceiling [email protected] UK diy 8 October 28th 03 06:54 PM
ESWA Ceiling heating - fixing damaged plasterboard? Tim UK diy 2 October 2nd 03 05:00 PM
Simple ceiling light (removing) Old Fart at Play UK diy 9 August 25th 03 05:31 PM
ceiling fans NC UK diy 3 August 7th 03 10:08 PM
Ceiling - enough strength? NorwichLad UK diy 8 August 5th 03 12:14 PM