Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Buying a Ceiling Fan

"cybercat" wrote

They also have the kits at that site to reinforce mounting if there's a
problem causing the wobbles up above. Lowes probably has them too.

It seems the mounting is okay, but this would not be the first time my
husband has been wrong.

Ok, hey, the kits are pretty easy to put in so if in doubt and wanting to
not have to go back up into the attic more than once, not a bad deal. Both
of ours now have a kit. The bedroom one wobbled and it was the mounting as
best as we can tell. Took all of 15 mins to add the kit with it's simple
screw points to the beams. Lots of different models out there. I think Don
said this one cost 15$. Sort of x-shaped and fits over the beams
(adjustable) then you put in 3-4 screws on each side of the beam. Supposed
to be for really heavy fans I think? Anyways, most sturdy than what was up
there.

The livingroom fan already had such a unit a bit like it and that one has
never wobbled. It just had the dang thing broken by the renters who seemed
to play basketball or something indoors.