Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two adjacent ceiling lights. Need two ceiling boxes?

I've installed a pendant light fixture onto the preexisting plastic
ceiling box. Now I need to install another similar fixture several
feet (1'-4') away from the first. According to code, do I need a
second ceiling box or can I make an opening in the drywall and fish
Romex in the ceiling to the adjacent box for coupling?

If the latter is per code, that means I'm allowed to make a connection
using wire nuts without the connection being contained inside a
ceiling/junction box?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 12, 10:27 am, fourrings wrote:
I've installed a pendant light fixture onto the preexisting plastic
ceiling box. Now I need to install another similar fixture several
feet (1'-4') away from the first. According to code, do I need a
second ceiling box or can I make an opening in the drywall and fish
Romex in the ceiling to the adjacent box for coupling?

If the latter is per code, that means I'm allowed to make a connection
using wire nuts without the connection being contained inside a
ceiling/junction box?

TIA

By code, you cannot make any wiring connections outside a box, so yes,
you need a second box.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Based on your statement, could I instead use the fixture's wiring for
routing to the adjacent box and make the connections there? My only
concern is that this wiring is not Romex.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om, fourrings wrote:
Based on your statement, could I instead use the fixture's wiring for
routing to the adjacent box and make the connections there? My only
concern is that this wiring is not Romex.

NO. Fixture wiring is allowed only inside the fixture canopy and the junction
box the canopy is attached to. YOU NEED A SECOND BOX. Period.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Second box it is. Thank you both!

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Doug Miller wrote:

In article om, fourrings wrote:

Based on your statement, could I instead use the fixture's wiring for
routing to the adjacent box and make the connections there? My only
concern is that this wiring is not Romex.

NO. Fixture wiring is allowed only inside the fixture canopy and the junction
box the canopy is attached to. YOU NEED A SECOND BOX. Period.

It is not 100% clear to me what the OP is trying to do,
but although a little ugly, he might be able to use
Panduit/Wiremold like stuff to achieve his goals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 2:02 pm, M Q wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article om, fourrings wrote:

Based on your statement, could I instead use the fixture's wiring for
routing to the adjacent box and make the connections there? My only
concern is that this wiring is not Romex.

NO. Fixture wiring is allowed only inside the fixture canopy and the junction
box the canopy is attached to. YOU NEED A SECOND BOX. Period.

It is not 100% clear to me what the OP is trying to do,
but although a little ugly, he might be able to use
Panduit/Wiremold like stuff to achieve his goals.

Maybe I'm confused, but if your putting in a second fixture, doesn't
that fixture need a second box to fasten on to? Otherwise, what holds
it? Seem straightforward that you would put in a second box and then
attach second lighting fixture to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article Cr1_i.3092$VB6.411@trnddc06, M Q wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

In article om, fourrings

wrote:

Based on your statement, could I instead use the fixture's wiring for
routing to the adjacent box and make the connections there? My only
concern is that this wiring is not Romex.

NO. Fixture wiring is allowed only inside the fixture canopy and the junction
box the canopy is attached to. YOU NEED A SECOND BOX. Period.

It is not 100% clear to me what the OP is trying to do,
but although a little ugly, he might be able to use
Panduit/Wiremold like stuff to achieve his goals.

NO. Fixture wiring is allowed only inside the fixture canopy and the junction
box the canopy is attached to. This does not include Panduit, Wiremold, etc.

The OP needs a second box. Period.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Trad... The light fixture is not too heavy so, while not ideal, I'd
probably get away supporting it by drywall alone.

Doug... I've looked at the different boxes at Lowes and the only one I
can see working for my application is the one w/ three ears that open
up on the other side of the ceiling and act as a vise to clamp the
drywall. Would that be per code? Are there any better solutions for
pre-existing ceiling installs? I'm limited on my options as I will
have a specific place where the box will have to mount and I might not
be lucky enough to get a stud there. Here's a link to a similar light
I'm installing. I plan to have two of these in one row.

http://www.lumens.com/lumens/assets/...LPMNGELODH.jpg

On Nov 12, 3:46 pm, wrote:
On Nov 12, 2:02 pm, M Q wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article om, fourrings wrote:

Based on your statement, could I instead use the fixture's wiring for
routing to the adjacent box and make the connections there? My only
concern is that this wiring is not Romex.

NO. Fixture wiring is allowed only inside the fixture canopy and the junction
box the canopy is attached to. YOU NEED A SECOND BOX. Period.

It is not 100% clear to me what the OP is trying to do,
but although a little ugly, he might be able to use
Panduit/Wiremold like stuff to achieve his goals.

Maybe I'm confused, but if your putting in a second fixture, doesn't
that fixture need a second box to fasten on to? Otherwise, what holds
it? Seem straightforward that you would put in a second box and then
attach second lighting fixture to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-11-13, fourrings wrote:

I've looked at the different boxes at Lowes and the only one I can
see working for my application is the one w/ three ears that open up
on the other side of the ceiling and act as a vise to clamp the
drywall. Would that be per code? Are there any better solutions
for pre-existing ceiling installs? I'm limited on my options as I
will have a specific place where the box will have to mount and I
might not be lucky enough to get a stud there.

If you have access from above, you can install blocking between the
joists to support the box wherever you want.

If you don't have access from above, you can use a "fan box" with a
brace. You cut the hole in the ceiling where you want the box, slide
the brace assembly through the hole and lengthen the brace until it
bites into the adjoining joists. Then you attach the box to the
brace.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, fourrings wrote:
Trad... The light fixture is not too heavy so, while not ideal, I'd
probably get away supporting it by drywall alone.

Doug... I've looked at the different boxes at Lowes and the only one I
can see working for my application is the one w/ three ears that open
up on the other side of the ceiling and act as a vise to clamp the
drywall. Would that be per code?

Yes, absolutely -- that's exactly what those boxes are made for.

Are there any better solutions for
pre-existing ceiling installs?

Not really -- that's quite good enough.

I'm limited on my options as I will
have a specific place where the box will have to mount and I might not
be lucky enough to get a stud there. Here's a link to a similar light
I'm installing. I plan to have two of these in one row.

http://www.lumens.com/lumens/assets/...LPMNGELODH.jpg

You should be fine. Drywall is capable of supporting a lot more weight than
many people think.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne... This will be in the living room and there is a bedroom above
it, so I won't have access to studs. But the fan box is a great
idea. I saw them at the store, but wasn't sure how they expand to
bite into the studs. Looks like there's a mechanism that when
tightened, expands the brace. If not that, then I'll just support the
weight on the drywall alone.

Thanks for all the advice!