Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Buying a Ceiling Fan

"cybercat" wrote in message
om...
The light in our old one, installed before we bought the house ten years
ago, no longer works. The whole unit has rattled like crazy at high speed
for the whole ten years, too.

My husband actually knows how to install one! He has installed three
others in the house.

My question is, what are the factors I should consider when buying one? We
plan to pick one up later today or tomorrow. They seem pretty cheap, so we
could actually get a pretty nice one if there is a reason to spring for
one of the better models.

Thanks, you guys are just great!

I've long been a fan of Casablanca intellitouch fans. They tend to be
absolutely silent and perfectly balanced, but at a starting price of around
$300, they're out of a lot of folks price range. Hampton bay is not a brand,
but rather a trademark of Home Depot. The fans are actually made by a
variety of companies, some are exellent for the price, and I recommend these
without hesitation, having hung hundreds, I've rarely had bad ones. The one
fan I would recommend not buying is Hunter. Hunter actually ownes
Casablanca. Many of their fans are extremely heavy and require special
mounting, beyond the standard "fan support box".