Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Buying a Ceiling Fan

"cybercat" wrote in
om:

"RBM" wrote
I've long been a fan of Casablanca intellitouch fans. They tend to be
absolutely silent and perfectly balanced, but at a starting price of
around $300, they're out of a lot of folks price range.

I could spend this if I really loved the fan and light. Of course I
would rather not!

Good thing about it is even though they last so long you can still repair
it if necessary. Few months back someone had a 15yr old Casablanca that
did odd things with speeds as well as hummed. After making sure dimmer
was not sending it for a loop, I looked at Casablanca's website. Based on
the model number, they had a new elecronics kit for it. New board,
reverse switch and pullchain switch. It was like $17 total and fit like
originals. Fan back like new.

Hampton bay is not a brand, but rather a trademark of Home Depot. The
fans are actually made by a variety of companies, some are exellent
for the price, and I recommend these without hesitation, having hung
hundreds, I've rarely had bad ones.

Very good to know. I will check them out online, I think the selection
is probably better.

The one fan I would recommend not buying is Hunter. Hunter actually
ownes Casablanca. Many of their fans are extremely heavy and require
special mounting, beyond the standard "fan support box".

That's very good to know. They do make some pretty ones, but this is
a 1960s split level, I don't want to do anything big until I can knock
out the walls on the first floor (except the fireplace wall) and gut
the kitchen.
Years away.