Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rubber Bumper for Shed

My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe
incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going
to damage the wooden door.

Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed
door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I
thought I could use as a safe bumper.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe
incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going
to damage the wooden door.

Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed
door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I
thought I could use as a safe bumper.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

A nearby state park has a huge hill that they open for inner-tube sliding
when it's snowing. Trees and other hard objects are padded with bales of
hay. Works nicely. For your purposes, put a thick rope around the bale so
you can drag it out of the way easily. When the hay begins to decompose,
spread it somewhere as mulch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe
incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going
to damage the wooden door.

Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed
door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I
thought I could use as a safe bumper.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

A nearby state park has a huge hill that they open for inner-tube sliding
when it's snowing. Trees and other hard objects are padded with bales of
hay. Works nicely. For your purposes, put a thick rope around the bale so
you can drag it out of the way easily. When the hay begins to decompose,
spread it somewhere as mulch.

i wouldn't do that. it would hold the moisture against the shed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jthread" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe
incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going
to damage the wooden door.

Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed
door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I
thought I could use as a safe bumper.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

A nearby state park has a huge hill that they open for inner-tube sliding
when it's snowing. Trees and other hard objects are padded with bales of
hay. Works nicely. For your purposes, put a thick rope around the bale so
you can drag it out of the way easily. When the hay begins to decompose,
spread it somewhere as mulch.

i wouldn't do that. it would hold the moisture against the shed.

That's the reason for the ropes - to move the bales away. Almost anything he
attaches to the door is going to trap moisture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jthread" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm not sure u want to go there. you even said yourself when the hay
decomposes. he said it was a wood door. I had a similar situation in new
mexico. I had a compost pile near my shed and the over flow started to rot
the shed. A good rule of thumb is anything you put on your walls, make sure
the rain runs off easily and you definitely wouldn't use anything that can
trap moisture. like hay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:24:11 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"jthread" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

barbed wire won't
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 11:12 am, wrote:
My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe
incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going
to damage the wooden door.

Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed
door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I
thought I could use as a safe bumper.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

A swift whack to the behind every time they do it, until they stop
doing it.

It's called PARENTING. Try it sometime. Maybe they'll grow up having
learned to respect other people's property.

Or, just let them keep it up until one of them takes a header into the
door. Guaranteed to stop any future door-ramming escapades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"jthread" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

he could hammer large nails through the door so they point outwards. but the
kids would attract moisture. and then there is all that blood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:33:20 -0800, Dave Bugg wrote:

wrote:
My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe
incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going
to damage the wooden door.

Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed
door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I
thought I could use as a safe bumper.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

And folks wonder why this generation of kids have little respect for
property, no discipline, and parents who are total oblivions.

BTW: how do you get 2.5 boys? Somebody do a solomon on one of them?
Or is one of them a hermaphrodite? A bit queer? Mother wanted a girl and
dresses one them up as one?
Posted to alt.home.repair

That reminds me of a story with me and my Dad!
I'm 65 now, and we were from the old school. Dad was a
steel worker here in Western Pa.,and you just didn't
do things like that..I went down our driveway, with
my wagon, (Radio Flyer), and hit the garage door!

"You do that again and I'll brake your goddamn neck!
Different time,times change, Dad didn't believe in holding back!
I miss him...by the way, the next day he got 2 old tires from the garage
and layed them down in front of the door, in case I would loose control
again!
My 2 cents

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bumpy" wrote in message

That reminds me of a story with me and my Dad!
I'm 65 now, and we were from the old school. Dad was a
steel worker here in Western Pa.,and you just didn't
do things like that..I went down our driveway, with
my wagon, (Radio Flyer), and hit the garage door!

"You do that again and I'll brake your goddamn neck!
Different time,times change, Dad didn't believe in holding back!
I miss him...by the way, the next day he got 2 old tires from the garage
and layed them down in front of the door, in case I would loose control
again!
My 2 cents

I've killed my son at least 100 times, but he keeps coming back. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe
incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going
to damage the wooden door.

Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed
door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I
thought I could use as a safe bumper.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

And folks wonder why this generation of kids have little respect for
property, no discipline, and parents who are total oblivions.

BTW: how do you get 2.5 boys? Somebody do a solomon on one of them?
Or is one of them a hermaphrodite? A bit queer? Mother wanted a girl and
dresses one them up as one?

I dropped a few characters there - they are 2.5 years old - twin
boys. And just learning to get around on the big wheels... they are
too young to punish for "riding down the hill." WHile I do appreciate
the parenting advice, I was just looking for something to protect the
shed until they have better motor skills and can be expected to stop
and ride in control.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 10:12 am, wrote:
My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe
incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going
to damage the wooden door.

Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed
door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I
thought I could use as a safe bumper.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Well if it's just a matter of protecting the door, you could reinforce
it at the crucial height with, say, a piece of 2X8 going across. But
it sounds like you want cushioning also. The traditional solution is
old tire tread. But I think those steel belted tires are pretty hard
to cut up. Some closed-cell foam might be good, such as one of those
roll-up ground pads for campling, the cheep ones are maybe $10, or a
couple of those pads they make for gardeners to kneel on.

But this will likely be a short phase in your kids' lives. Here is
what I would do: go to one of those package-shipping stores and get a
roll of bubble wrap. Staple a couple layers of that across the door.
Then when they hit it will go bang, even more fun than before. Be
nice to your kids and maybe they won't grow up to be mean grumpy
people like the other posters. -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heathcliff wrote:
Be
nice to your kids and maybe they won't grow up to be mean grumpy
people like the other posters. -- H

They'll just grow up to be egocentric, undisciplined riff-raff instead.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 13:21:51 -0800, Dave Bugg wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Build a brick wall in front of the shed?

Supervision would be in order. If they're not responsible for their
actions, then you are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Unlike the others who do not have kids, or shouldn't have any, I will
say that once they get older and leave you, the dents in the door will
bring a tear and a remembrance of a better time. My girls drove golf
carts into fences and made tracks in my lawn, and now that I look upon
the small, insignificant things, I wish that I could go back and relive
those memories.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe
incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going
to damage the wooden door.

Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed
door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I
thought I could use as a safe bumper.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Can you build a "moat" in front of the shed and fill it with a few inches of
round gravel? Make a "runaway ramp" out of it. The gravel also will help prevent
injuries when they fall onto it. Slope the moat so it doesn't drop all at once
when they hit it.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 4:40 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:12:24 -0000, wrote:
My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe
incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going
to damage the wooden door.

Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed
door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I
thought I could use as a safe bumper.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

All you need is a stick about 2 or 3 feet long and an inch thick.
When the kids drive their bikes into the shed, SPANK THEIR BUTTS.
Problem solved ! If i had done this as a kid I would have gotten my
butt kicked. Of course if you want to enable this behavior, you
could put up a rail using posts and a plank, and cover the surface
with half tires bolted to it.

I am wondering how long those bikes will last? Dont the brakes work
on them?

re; Dont the brakes work on them?

Trikes and/or Big Wheels don't have brakes, other than sheer leg
strength on the pedals preventing the front wheel from turning. I
wouldn't expect a 2.5 YO to have that type of strength or
coordination.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe
incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going
to damage the wooden door.

Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed
door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I
thought I could use as a safe bumper.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

OK, another idea.

Line up a bunch of gallon plastic milk jugs along the shed. Add sand inside them
to hold them in place, or fill them with water to make them absorb energy, and
spray water all over the place. Or a little sand, and foam shipping "peanuts".

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:23:21 -0800, DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Nov 5, 4:40 pm, wrote:
[...]

Ok, then restrict the kids to not using that hill. If they do, spank
their butts.
End of problem !

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 5, 4:40 pm, wrote:
[...]

Instruct them use blown up inner tubes against the door, and to put
them away when finished. If they don't it's, time to punish them. A
warning makes it fair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh pshaw, on Mon 05 Nov 2007 09:12:24a, meant to say...

My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe
incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going
to damage the wooden door.

Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed
door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I
thought I could use as a safe bumper.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

A strong paddle without a bumper would work wonders.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, December(XII) 11th(XI),2007(MMVII)

Countdown 'til Christmas
1wks 4dys 13hrs 20mins 56secs
If you don't get everything you want,
think of the things you *don't* get
that you don't want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Throw a couple of tires on the driveway in front of the door. Once you
no longer need them, make a couple of tire swings. If you want to get
fancy, you could throw a couple more tires in the driveway and make a
race course for them.

I wouldn't put anything right on the door, as that would still transfer
the impact to the door, and they just aren't designed to take that kind
of use.