Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default Rubber Bumper for Shed

On Nov 5, 10:12 am, wrote:
My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe
incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going
to damage the wooden door.

Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed
door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I
thought I could use as a safe bumper.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Well if it's just a matter of protecting the door, you could reinforce
it at the crucial height with, say, a piece of 2X8 going across. But
it sounds like you want cushioning also. The traditional solution is
old tire tread. But I think those steel belted tires are pretty hard
to cut up. Some closed-cell foam might be good, such as one of those
roll-up ground pads for campling, the cheep ones are maybe $10, or a
couple of those pads they make for gardeners to kneel on.

But this will likely be a short phase in your kids' lives. Here is
what I would do: go to one of those package-shipping stores and get a
roll of bubble wrap. Staple a couple layers of that across the door.
Then when they hit it will go bang, even more fun than before. Be
nice to your kids and maybe they won't grow up to be mean grumpy
people like the other posters. -- H