Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Rubber Bumper for Shed

wrote:
My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe
incline) and use my shed to stop the ride. Eventually, they are going
to damage the wooden door.

Any thoughts about what I could use to prolong the life of the shed
door? I checked out the local HD, and didn't see anything that I
thought I could use as a safe bumper.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

What you are looking for is called 'crash rail'. Big box is unlikely to
have it, unless they sell it for use as a rub rail in garages to prevent
car door nicks. Any industrial supply will have it- commonly used in
hospital/hotel/computer center/retail back areas where carts are used.
They mount it at chair rail height- you would, I assume, mount it at
wheel height. It can be mounted on vertical standoffs so wood of door
doesn't stay wet all the time.

You can probably fake it with some plastic deck boards, mounted on 2"
blocks as standoffs. The center of each one would even have some
springiness, if their usual impact zone is narrow. If they are all over
the place, mount a couple of long ones between 2 stakes a couple feet
back from the shed. By the time they have enough mass to break 5/4 trex
or similar, they will be off the trikes.