Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage heater - low temps

I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.

Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.

Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

Any heater can do that. You need a low working thermostat to control it.
Hard to find, but I've seen some that go down to 45. I've never seen lower
but that does not mean they don't exist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Oct, 14:57, Mark wrote:
I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.

Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

That's easy...

Put a refrigerator in the garage and leave it open. The interior
temperature of a fridge should be around 40 degrees, so an open fridge
should keep the garage at 40 degrees year round.

QED :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a little expensive ($48) but McMaster-Carr has one that you can plug any heater up to 1500 watts into. Go to
www.mcmaster.com and search for part number 1940K8.

A bigger issue might be the capability of the heater to maintain the temperature. Unless the garage is *really*
well-insulated, and free of significant air leaks (most garage doors leak like a sieve), the heater may have a hard time
keeping up when the weather gets really cold. Depending of course on how cold it gets in your area!

Eric Law

"Mark" wrote in message oups.com...
I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.

Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:

I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.

How about a Thermo-Cube?

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.

Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

http://www.greenhousecatalog.com/por...ater-p-38.html ?

-jeepers

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 2:57 pm, Mark wrote:
I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.

Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

Hook ANY heater to a timer?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:23:59 -0700, SteveB wrote:

On Oct 30, 2:57 pm, Mark wrote:
I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.

Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

Hook ANY heater to a timer?

If it's an electric heater, make sure the timer can handle such a load.
If it's a gas heater, use a setback thermostat?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 2:57 pm, Mark wrote:
I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.

Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

Hook ANY heater to a timer?

If it's an electric heater, make sure the timer can handle such a load.
If it's a gas heater, use a setback thermostat?

hook any electric heater to a cal stat thermostat, use a relay if
necessary for higher current

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...Thermostats%2C

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Oct 30, 2:57 pm, Mark wrote:
I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. ...
Hook ANY heater to a timer?

If it's an electric heater, make sure the timer can handle such a load.
If it's a gas heater, use a setback thermostat?

hook any electric heater to a cal stat thermostat, use a relay if
necessary for higher current

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...Thermostats%2C

More suitable is probably the freeze-protection thermostat

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?L2=Freeze+Protection&operator=p rodIndexRefinementSearch&originalValue=thermostat& L1=Thermostats%2C

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark writes:
I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.

Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.

Look at electric baseboard heaters. These are normally supplied from
240 V, so you can get several kW of heat from ordinary 14 ga wiring.

Most makes of baseboard heaters seem to have auxiliary thermostats
that you can install inside the wiring box at one end of the baseboard
unit, with the temperature-setting knob sticking out through some kind
of knockout. If you look closely, you'll probably find that there are
two different models of this thermostat offered. One model has an "off"
position, allowing you to turn off the heater entirely. The other model
does not have an "off" position, and it's deliberately calibrated so
that if you set it to the minimum temperature, it will come on about 4
degrees C (about 39 degrees F). That's what you want.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 8:23 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
On Oct 30, 2:57 pm, Mark wrote:
I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.

Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

Hook ANY heater to a timer?

Steve

A heater on a timer can't maintain a given temperature unless the
outside temp is constant and you know the heat loss rate of the
garage. If it's 40 one day and -5 the next, how would a timer help
maintain a 33 degree temp?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RickH wrote:
I've been looking for a 40F degree thermostat for 10 years now, let me
know if you find one. ...

I posted a link to one at Grainger yesterday in response to haller's
posting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 1:57 pm, Mark wrote:
I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.

Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

I've been looking for a 40F degree thermostat for 10 years now, let me
know if you find one. I have a boiler that heats the garage slab and
the basement slab, and like you I want to keep the garage just above
freezing, currently I have to keep it 55F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to dpb :
RickH wrote:
I've been looking for a 40F degree thermostat for 10 years now, let me
know if you find one. ...

I posted a link to one at Grainger yesterday in response to haller's
posting.

The other poster's suggestion of taking a good look at a
few makes of line-voltage thermostats for electric heat is
a good one.

Over thirty years ago, we found that some thermostats start
at around 50F with an offswitch, and others don't have an
offswitch, and start around 36F.

We wanted the 36F ones to keep a cottage just above freezing.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RickH" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 30, 1:57 pm, Mark wrote:
I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.

Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

I've been looking for a 40F degree thermostat for 10 years now, let me
know if you find one. I have a boiler that heats the garage slab and
the basement slab, and like you I want to keep the garage just above
freezing, currently I have to keep it 55F.

If you have some way to calibrate it, it may be possible to tilt one of the
mercury switch thermostats enough to lower its operating point adequately.
It may be possible to alter the internal spring mount to accomplish the same
thing.

Some RV thermostats have no OFF position but I so not know what the minimum
setting is.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 9:34 pm, (Chris Lewis) wrote:
According to dpb :

RickH wrote:
I've been looking for a 40F degree thermostat for 10 years now, let me
know if you find one. ...

I posted a link to one at Grainger yesterday in response to haller's
posting.

The other poster's suggestion of taking a good look at a
few makes of line-voltage thermostats for electric heat is
a good one.

Over thirty years ago, we found that some thermostats start
at around 50F with an offswitch, and others don't have an
offswitch, and start around 36F.

We wanted the 36F ones to keep a cottage just above freezing.
--
Chris Lewis,

In reading some of the questions that get sent to the Home Repair
section of our local newspaper, I think I recall something about
issues with condensation if the temperature is kept below some magic
number (50?).

You know..."I'm going to Florida for 3 months. What's the lowest I can
set my thermostat to?"

I don't recall that the answers started with a "3". I'm sure it was
much higher - and it wasn't related to the minimum allowed by the
thermostat. It was related to actual environmental factors.

Can anybody concur with what I think I remember?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RickH wrote:
[...]

Would depend on the structure and ambient conditions of the location
more than just the temperature as to what would/wouldn't be a problem.
Here (SW KS) there's no problem from a condensation standpoint in a
totally unheated shop area. In a humid area, not so much.

Don't believe there's a single right answer (in fact I'm sure there's
not) for all situations, but can see something like 50F being ok as a
generic answer that would cover most situations that a generic column of
the sort would respond with. That's not the same thing as what any
individual shop could use a safe minimum by any stretch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
[...]

The writers of the questions and the authors of the answers are a
little more specific regarding location - Western NY - where temps and
humidity can vary greatly due to lake effects.

IIRC 50 seemed to be the recommended number - perhaps a generic
number, albeit for a different reason than you suggest. In other
words, not generic so as to cover a national audience, but generic
enough to cover the wide swings of weather conditions near the lakes.

In any case, the OP might want to do a little research and determine
if "just above freezing" is the correct temperature for his location.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 1, 10:05 am, dpb wrote:

[...]

I contend it is the same reason.

I'd even wager they would give the same answer for any geographic area
outside the High Plains or Desert Southwest (and would be highly like to
there as well because they probably have no experience in any other
climate so would still use the CYA answer).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

IIRC 50 seemed to be the recommended number - perhaps a generic
number, albeit for a different reason than you suggest. In other
words, not generic so as to cover a national audience, but generic
enough to cover the wide swings of weather conditions near the lakes.

In any case, the OP might want to do a little research and determine
if "just above freezing" is the correct temperature for his location.

Another consideration is a safety factor. A building at 50 degrees will stay
above freezing longer in a power failure than one at 32.1111 degrees. Not a
big deal if comfort is the only consideration, but if keeping water from
doing damage, you have to plan ahead a bit.

I maintain a large (poorly insulated) building that is used for storage, but
cannot freeze. Keeping it at 45 is good for at least 30 hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 10:47 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

IIRC 50 seemed to be the recommended number - perhaps a generic
number, albeit for a different reason than you suggest. In other
words, not generic so as to cover a national audience, but generic
enough to cover the wide swings of weather conditions near the lakes.

In any case, the OP might want to do a little research and determine
if "just above freezing" is the correct temperature for his location.

Another consideration is a safety factor. A building at 50 degrees will stay
above freezing longer in a power failure than one at 32.1111 degrees. Not a
big deal if comfort is the only consideration, but if keeping water from
doing damage, you have to plan ahead a bit.

I maintain a large (poorly insulated) building that is used for storage, but
cannot freeze. Keeping it at 45 is good for at least 30 hours.

Don't let my kids see this post! They'll want me to turn up the
thermostat in the winter using the "we'll stay above freezing longer
in a power failure" excuse.

Shut up kid and go get another sweater. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to DerbyDad03 :
On Oct 31, 9:34 pm, (Chris Lewis) wrote:

Over thirty years ago, we found that some thermostats start
at around 50F with an offswitch, and others don't have an
offswitch, and start around 36F.

We wanted the 36F ones to keep a cottage just above freezing.

In reading some of the questions that get sent to the Home Repair
section of our local newspaper, I think I recall something about
issues with condensation if the temperature is kept below some magic
number (50?).

This sort of thing is going to be very dependent on conditions.
Not just environmental, but building structure and ventilation.
As a simple example: our garage.

It's vapor-barriered (6 mil plastic) and insulated with decent attic
ventilation. When we moved in, the floor was just gravel. Unheated.
Approximately two days per year (usually in the fall), there was a
moisture problem that caused bare metal (eg: my tools) to begin to rust.
Visible condensation everywhere.

A few years later, we had a concrete floor put in with a layer of foam
board under it. Moisture/rust problems _completely_ disappeared. There
are now heaters in it, and I only turn them on when I'm going to be
working in the garage for extended periods during the winter. When the
heaters are off, the temperature in the garage can drop as low as -30C
or lower during the winter. Zero moisture problems (except when
the ceiling vapor barrier fatigued in a few places and fell through,
and the attic got too warm - icicles and condensation at the
ruptures.)

The cottage is similarly well insulated and vapor barriered (kraft
insulation). We heated the cottage itself to 4-5C. At first there
was a moisture issue _under_ the cottage - concrete block foundation,
dirt floor, and we also kept the pump area warmer by enclosing the
section with a double "curtain" of 6 mil plastic and a fan heater
modified to operate at around 5C. But that was eliminated by
power venting the crawl space outside of the "bagged" zone.

The only moisture deterioration problems were in the cottage ceiling due
to "cathedral ceiling" (2x6 Cedar T&G, 1" foam, sheathing then shingle -
no ventilation), no sunlight due to trees (roof stayed damp) and
(eventually) carpenter ants. Everything was torn off but the T&G,
"joists" were laid over the T&G, bat insulation with a 2" airgap
under the sheathing. Moisture problems eliminated.

Anyone saying "don't go lower than 50F" or something like that will
be doing a CYA because they don't know whether it really will cause
a problem or not. Whether it causes a problem is determined by
the building and weather conditions.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...?L2=Cal-Stat&o...

More suitable is probably the freeze-protection thermostat

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?L2=Freeze+Pro...

--

Thanks

This one covers the range I need 40 to 99 degrees, the stores just
dont sell 40 degree thermostats.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4EY30

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 1:01 pm, (Chris Lewis) wrote:
According to DerbyDad03 :

[...]

Thus my reason for adding the last line to my post:

In any case, the OP might want to do a little research and determine
if "just above freezing" is the correct temperature for his location.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 2:57 pm, Mark wrote:
I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. ...
Hook ANY heater to a timer?
If it's an electric heater, make sure the timer can handle such a load.
If it's a gas heater, use a setback thermostat?

hook any electric heater to a cal stat thermostat, use a relay if
necessary for higher current

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...?L2=Cal-Stat&o...

More suitable is probably the freeze-protection thermostat

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?L2=Freeze+Pro...

--

Thanks

This one covers the range I need 40 to 99 degrees, the stores just
dont sell 40 degree thermostats.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4EY30- Hide quoted text -

This may meet the OP temperature specs, but it won't meet his other
requirements. The specs at the site say: "For Use With Gas, 24V
Electric Heat, Oil".

The OP is looking for a stand alone heater or a control for a
standalone heater that can be set for low temps, not a thermostat for
a furnace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mark, Gerry wrote:
mark.kempe wrote:

I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.
Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.
Thanks!

I live in Canada where it would be usual to have this application. The
garage that I want to heat to just above freezing is attached to the
house, well insulated so a heater with a thermostat that can be set from
about 0 degrees C to 10 degrees C or more would fit the bill. My question
is - why do manufacturers not provide this option, and why can I not find
ANY heater that gives the minimum and maximum temperature setting of the
thermostat on the box?

Posted to alt.home.repair

mark.kempe wrote:

I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.
Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.
Thanks!

I live in Canada where it would be usual to have this application. The
garage that I want to heat to just above freezing is attached to the
house, well insulated so a heater with a thermostat that can be set from
about 0 degrees C to 10 degrees C or more would fit the bill. My question
is - why do manufacturers not provide this option, and why can I not find
ANY heater that gives the minimum and maximum temperature setting of the
thermostat on the box?

There is something called a "frost cube" ? thermostat that you can
control any heater with. I'll see if I cand find the information.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mark.kempe wrote:

I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.
Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.
Thanks!

I live in Canada where it would be usual to have this application. The
garage that I want to heat to just above freezing is attached to the
house, well insulated so a heater with a thermostat that can be set from
about 0 degrees C to 10 degrees C or more would fit the bill. My question
is - why do manufacturers not provide this option, and why can I not find
ANY heater that gives the minimum and maximum temperature setting of the
thermostat on the box?

I have a ceiling mounted electric heater with fan. Not sure of the
exact thermostat range as it's unmarked except for little dots and an
off position. I keep at "just on" over the winter and it keeps my
insulated shop at about 40 degrees. When I want to spend time out there
working, I just pop in, turn it up a bit and within 15 minutes or less I
can work in my shirtsleeves. At a rate of ~ $0.1035 per kWh the affect
on my monthly electric bill is negligible.

If you can't find one looking through Grainger, et al, let me know and
I'll pull the model number and make for you.

Alternatively, I suspect that it might not be all that difficult to find
a line voltage thermostat that would operate in the range you want/need.
Just wire it into the circuit and leave the thermostat on the heater
set to your preferred "working temperature". Crank up the external line
voltage stat when you want to work out there, turn it back down when you
just want to keep it from freezing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mark.kempe wrote:

I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.
Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.
Thanks!

I live in Canada where it would be usual to have this application. The
garage that I want to heat to just above freezing is attached to the
house, well insulated so a heater with a thermostat that can be set from
about 0 degrees C to 10 degrees C or more would fit the bill. My question
is - why do manufacturers not provide this option, and why can I not find
ANY heater that gives the minimum and maximum temperature setting of the
thermostat on the box?

It's called a thermocube thermostat. It turns on the heater at 35F
and turns it off at 45F. It is available from Home Despot in the USA.

It is apparently a Canadian invention .
Contact Christy Fabros
Public Relations Specialist
Nuheat Industries Ltd.
604.529.4391
for information on where to buy one close to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

IF it was my problem, I would take the thermostat apart and adjust/bend something associated with the temperature sensor. Nothing to lose and maybe a lot to save/gain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mark.kempe wrote:

I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.
Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.
Thanks!

I live in Canada where it would be usual to have this application. The
garage that I want to heat to just above freezing is attached to the
house, well insulated so a heater with a thermostat that can be set from
about 0 degrees C to 10 degrees C or more would fit the bill. My question
is - why do manufacturers not provide this option, and why can I not find
ANY heater that gives the minimum and maximum temperature setting of the
thermostat on the box?

I am in Calgary. Has double attached garage insulated like main
building. Small potable heater rated at 1500W max. keeps things from
freezing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mark.kempe wrote:

[...]

You Eskimos know how to live in the cold. Us folks closer to The Equator have a problem when Canada sticks it icy cold tongue out at us in wintertime. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Freezing Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.
Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.
Thanks!

http://smile.amazon.com/Modine-HD30A.../dp/B0096MJ536

http://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-CT.../dp/B002Z7EBCE

Posted to alt.home.repair

mark.kempe wrote:

[...]

HD sells the plug-in thermocube. Before relying on one, I'd suggest
reading online reviews. When I looked into them, I saw a lot of people
saying they were unreliable, would work for a few months, then when it
should go on, didn't and stuff froze.

I agree with the poster that you would think there would be more
quality choices available for that kind of thing, but I couldn't
find any other choices either when I was looking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 4:15:33 AM UTC-5, Chiily Willy wrote:

I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.
Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.
Thanks!

http://smile.amazon.com/Modine-HD30A.../dp/B0096MJ536

http://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-CT.../dp/B002Z7EBCE

That's a nice find, except that it looks like it's a low voltage
thermostat and an electric ceiling heater is almost certainly in
need of AC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 7:32:55 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 4:15:33 AM UTC-5, Chiily Willy wrote:

I have an insulated garage that I want to heat, but just above
freezing. All the heaters I have will keep the temperature at 14C
(57F) or higher, which I don't want. I just want it slightly above 0C
(32F) to avoid the objects in the garage from freezing.
Does anyone know of such a heater? I can't seem to find one.
Thanks!

http://smile.amazon.com/Modine-HD30A.../dp/B0096MJ536

http://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-CT.../dp/B002Z7EBCE

That's a nice find, except that it looks like it's a low voltage
thermostat and an electric ceiling heater is almost certainly in
need of AC.

The description at the on-line Honeywell store says:

"It's important to note that this unit will not work with
line voltage systems, multi stage systems or heat pumps
with or without auxiliary heat."

However, I would think that any number of low-voltage-line
voltage relay would work, no?

http://www.grainger.com/category/ecatalog/N-1z0dqxk
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gerry wrote:
I live in Canada where it would be usual to have this application. The
garage that I want to heat to just above freezing is attached to the
house, well insulated so a heater with a thermostat that can be set from
about 0 degrees C to 10 degrees C or more would fit the bill. My question
is - why do manufacturers not provide this option, and why can I not find
ANY heater that gives the minimum and maximum temperature setting of the
thermostat on the box?

think of it in terms of thermal mass, wind and
insulation, a well insulated building might be
able to maintain a near freezing temperature with
a small heater, but if you set it too close to
freezing and the temperature and wind changes
then it can easily go below freezing and the
small heater won't be able to keep up.

most electric heaters i've seen have an
adjustable dial that has no specific heat number
it's just dots.

the few i have here have Hi, Low and Fan settings.

i'd get a few of them, set them around the
building and then adjust them so that one will
work at the higher temperature and then set
another at a bit lower so you have an extra
cushion for when it gets really cold. the one
lower unit will run more and then the other
should only come on when the weather and wind
get particularly cold.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

mark.kempe wrote:

[...]

I've used those Thermocubes for livestock tank heaters, to prevent them
from staying on when the air temperature rises above freezing. They are
not very reliable. I wont buy them again.

They do sell thermostatically controlled fan switches, made for large
barn fans, which are intended to turn on the fan when the barn temp
rises above a set temp, such as 70deg. They are 120V switches. But I
dont think they go down to freezing temps. I believe they make similar
things for heating controls. Check out
www.grainger.com
They sell a lot of that type of thing.

The OP could make a control if they are handy. Mount a relay in a
suitable electrical box. The relay contacts must be at least 15A. (20A
is better). Put a plug on cord and an outlet on this box. The plug goes
to a wall outlet, the outlet feeds the heater. Then mount a 24V
transformer on the box, and run wires to a plain thermostat (not
programmable). The relay must have a 24V trigger coil, the wires from
the thermostat feed that relay trigger coil.

It's hard to explain without a wiring diagram, but it's a simple
circuit. A thermostat is really just a switch that is controlled by
temperature. It's just switching the relay to the ON position when the
temperature falls below a certain temp, such as 40deg. The relay
contacts are 120V and they turn the heater on and off.

I built something similar once, but in my case the relay turned my
furnace on and off, based on a sensor on a woodburner. When the
woodburner got above a certain temp, the furnace was turned off. The
reason for this was because both shared the same ductwork. If both the
furnace and woodburner fans ran at the same time, the big blower in the
furnace would overpower the small fan on the woodburner, and cause it to
self destruct. This relay insured that both blowers did not run at the
same time. Relays are very useful for lots of things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 09:19:03 -0500, songbird
wrote:

Gerry wrote:
[...]

Why not just use the device that is "made for the job" The ThermoCube
is made to control a 1500 watt heater to prevent freezing. On at 35F,
off at 45F. If you want to work in the shop, unplug the heater from
the thermocube and plug it in directly, letting the built-in
thermostat do it's job.