Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Garage heater - low temps

On Nov 1, 10:47 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

IIRC 50 seemed to be the recommended number - perhaps a generic
number, albeit for a different reason than you suggest. In other
words, not generic so as to cover a national audience, but generic
enough to cover the wide swings of weather conditions near the lakes.

In any case, the OP might want to do a little research and determine
if "just above freezing" is the correct temperature for his location.

Another consideration is a safety factor. A building at 50 degrees will stay
above freezing longer in a power failure than one at 32.1111 degrees. Not a
big deal if comfort is the only consideration, but if keeping water from
doing damage, you have to plan ahead a bit.

I maintain a large (poorly insulated) building that is used for storage, but
cannot freeze. Keeping it at 45 is good for at least 30 hours.

Don't let my kids see this post! They'll want me to turn up the
thermostat in the winter using the "we'll stay above freezing longer
in a power failure" excuse.

Shut up kid and go get another sweater. ;-)