Posted to alt.home.repair
songbird songbird is offline

Default Garage heater - low temps

Gerry wrote:
I live in Canada where it would be usual to have this application. The
garage that I want to heat to just above freezing is attached to the
house, well insulated so a heater with a thermostat that can be set from
about 0 degrees C to 10 degrees C or more would fit the bill. My question
is - why do manufacturers not provide this option, and why can I not find
ANY heater that gives the minimum and maximum temperature setting of the
thermostat on the box?

think of it in terms of thermal mass, wind and
insulation, a well insulated building might be
able to maintain a near freezing temperature with
a small heater, but if you set it too close to
freezing and the temperature and wind changes
then it can easily go below freezing and the
small heater won't be able to keep up.

most electric heaters i've seen have an
adjustable dial that has no specific heat number
it's just dots.

the few i have here have Hi, Low and Fan settings.

i'd get a few of them, set them around the
building and then adjust them so that one will
work at the higher temperature and then set
another at a bit lower so you have an extra
cushion for when it gets really cold. the one
lower unit will run more and then the other
should only come on when the weather and wind
get particularly cold.

songbird