Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Curing Concrete-Colder Temps

Hiya folks,
I poured a 1 CY foundation for an outdoor fireplace yesterday afternoon.
Temps here are ranging from highs in the 50's to lows in the mid 20's.
After pouring, I covered it up in plastic and put around 6-8" of straw over
the top of it. This morning, the concrete is visibly wet with a bit of
standing water on it in places. I've always poured in the summer and have
seen the stuff cure pretty quickly. I suspect this is normal for these
temps but was looking for any expert opinions on this. I was planning to
start putting my CMU etc... down probably next week but at this rate, I'm
not sure I'll be able to. How long should I leave the plastic/straw in
place before working on it? Thanks much for any inputs.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Hiya folks,
I poured a 1 CY foundation for an outdoor fireplace yesterday
afternoon. Temps here are ranging from highs in the 50's to lows in
the mid 20's. After pouring, I covered it up in plastic and put
around 6-8" of straw over the top of it. This morning, the concrete
is visibly wet with a bit of standing water on it in places. I've
always poured in the summer and have seen the stuff cure pretty
quickly. I suspect this is normal for these temps but was looking
for any expert opinions on this. I was planning to start putting my
CMU etc... down probably next week but at this rate, I'm not sure
I'll be able to. How long should I leave the plastic/straw in place
before working on it? Thanks much for any inputs. Cheers,
cc

It all sounds right to me. I don't see why you would have a problem
with your plans.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..
Hiya folks,
I poured a 1 CY foundation for an outdoor fireplace yesterday afternoon.
Temps here are ranging from highs in the 50's to lows in the mid 20's.
After pouring, I covered it up in plastic and put around 6-8" of straw
over the top of it. This morning, the concrete is visibly wet with a bit
of standing water on it in places. I've always poured in the summer and
have seen the stuff cure pretty quickly. I suspect this is normal for
these temps but was looking for any expert opinions on this. I was
planning to start putting my CMU etc... down probably next week but at
this rate, I'm not sure I'll be able to. How long should I leave the
plastic/straw in place before working on it? Thanks much for any inputs.

Remove the straw and plastic during daylight hours. Curing concrete creates
heat, and the condensate puddles you see can't evaporate through the
plastic. Sounds normal to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

[...]

Thanks folks. Sounds like it's more of a waiting game at this point. I
suppose that will ensure I get the strongest concrete I can anyway.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Remember this: concrete curing is NOT an evaporative process - ie. the
concrete does not really need to "dry" in order to cure. In fact, it's
better for the end strength of the pour if it is kept moist during the
cure process. There is a chemical reaction that combines the water
with the portland cement in the concrete mix. The cold weather will
probably slow down this reaction, but the moisture will actually help
it in the long run and won't slow the cure down any.

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"louie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Remember this: concrete curing is NOT an evaporative process - ie. the
concrete does not really need to "dry" in order to cure. In fact, it's
better for the end strength of the pour if it is kept moist during the
cure process. There is a chemical reaction that combines the water
with the portland cement in the concrete mix. The cold weather will
probably slow down this reaction, but the moisture will actually help
it in the long run and won't slow the cure down any.

That's why I covered it in plastic and am keeping it warm. I'm just not
used to it taking more than a day or so for it to hit high enough strength
that I can start setting block on it.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

[...]

If you want strong concrete, keep the plastic on
to retain moisture and keep the straw on to retain
heat and avoid freezing. How long? however much
you want, but most of the strength develops in a
few days. anything amount of time is better than
pulling forms off and letting it dry out the day
after you poor it like they do around here for
foundations.
Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
If you want strong concrete, keep the plastic on to retain moisture and
keep the straw on to retain heat and avoid freezing. How long? however
much you want, but most of the strength develops in a few days. anything
amount of time is better than pulling forms off and letting it dry out the
day after you poor it like they do around here for foundations.

Same here. They pour one day and are building on it the next. Maybe they
are using high early strength concrete, but I doubt it.
I'm headed back to work tomorrow so really the first chance I would have to
do anything with it would be Monday. So a week would probably be ok for me
to set a couple of courses of block on it.
Cheers,
cc

New concrete driveway curing time ? rkpatt Home Ownership 20 September 6th 17 02:14 AM
Concrete Bonding Agent & people who do not read directions... a Home Repair 2 October 5th 05 03:50 PM
At what temperature does concrete stop curing? Jeff Home Repair 2 November 27th 04 12:31 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM