Jeff

Default At what temperature does concrete stop curing?

I am in the northeast and just poured some footings and 8" concrete
sonotubes yesterday. The temperature was 50F. Today the temperature
was low 40's and tonight low 20's. I covered the tubes with lots of hay
and poly tarps over top. I did not use any curing accelerators or antifreeze.

My concern is the temperature will be going steadily down and in a week
or 2 the high temp might be only around 32. No matter how much hay
and tarps I put over the concrete, eventually the ground around it will
freeze. I understand that concrete should not be allowed to freeze until
it has reached a certain strength.

I also read that concrete effectively stops curing below 40F, but I am not
sure about that. I can keep the concrete from freezing for about 3
weeks more, but I may not be able to get it above to 40F during that
time. Will the concrete still cure to the desired strength so that it
will not be damaged by eventual winter freeze? Thanks,

--
Jeff
Art

Saychris2

No worrys! Concrete gains approx. 70% of its strength in the first week and
if you poured high/early mix-it's quicker. Concrete is an exothermic reaction
(genrates its own heat), so trapping that heat with hay and tarps combined
with the latent heat radiating from the ground will provide adequate protection
for a good cure.

Concrete shed base Craig Graham UK diy 4 June 29th 04 06:46 AM
Cost to install a concrete pad? The Other Harry Home Repair 11 January 11th 04 08:53 PM
How do tell a liquid from a solid? Jeffrey Lindemuth Metalworking 20 December 29th 03 05:16 PM
Temperature Measurement With A Multimeter ??? FSMüller Electronics Repair 0 August 28th 03 09:42 AM
Installing an interior French drain, cutting the concrete. andy everett Home Repair 0 July 10th 03 06:43 PM