Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Garage heater - low temps

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 31, 9:34 pm, (Chris Lewis) wrote:
According to dpb :

RickH wrote:
I've been looking for a 40F degree thermostat for 10 years now, let me
know if you find one. ...
I posted a link to one at Grainger yesterday in response to haller's
posting.

The other poster's suggestion of taking a good look at a
few makes of line-voltage thermostats for electric heat is
a good one.

Over thirty years ago, we found that some thermostats start
at around 50F with an offswitch, and others don't have an
offswitch, and start around 36F.

We wanted the 36F ones to keep a cottage just above freezing.
--
Chris Lewis,

In reading some of the questions that get sent to the Home Repair
section of our local newspaper, I think I recall something about
issues with condensation if the temperature is kept below some magic
number (50?).

You know..."I'm going to Florida for 3 months. What's the lowest I can
set my thermostat to?"

I don't recall that the answers started with a "3". I'm sure it was
much higher - and it wasn't related to the minimum allowed by the
thermostat. It was related to actual environmental factors.

Can anybody concur with what I think I remember?

Would depend on the structure and ambient conditions of the location
more than just the temperature as to what would/wouldn't be a problem.
Here (SW KS) there's no problem from a condensation standpoint in a
totally unheated shop area. In a humid area, not so much.

Don't believe there's a single right answer (in fact I'm sure there's
not) for all situations, but can see something like 50F being ok as a
generic answer that would cover most situations that a generic column of
the sort would respond with. That's not the same thing as what any
individual shop could use a safe minimum by any stretch.