Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house

Default Can Whirlpool washer & dryer be stacked on pedestal drawers?

How do I find out if the costco whirlpool duet sport front loading washers
& dryer combination are stackable on the costco pedestal?

Does anyone know?

The part numbers a
- Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer, [Model WFW8410SW] Item # 133047
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product... e=&lang=en-US

- Whirlpool Duet Sport Elec Dryer, [Model WED8410SW] Item # 133053
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...av=&cat=& s=1

- Pedestal with drawer [Model LAB2700MQ]
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...av=&cat=& s=1

Can you stack this dryer and washer on this pedestal?
How can I find out?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 05:30:07 GMT, Wlm Singleton
wrote:

How do I find out if the costco whirlpool duet sport front loading washers
& dryer combination are stackable on the costco pedestal?

Does anyone know?

The part numbers a
- Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer, [Model WFW8410SW] Item # 133047
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product... e=&lang=en-US

- Whirlpool Duet Sport Elec Dryer, [Model WED8410SW] Item # 133053
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...av=&cat=& s=1

- Pedestal with drawer [Model LAB2700MQ]
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...av=&cat=& s=1

Can you stack this dryer and washer on this pedestal?
How can I find out?

Open the box one comes in and see what the manual says? Or get the
clerk to do it.

Find the manual online and read it there.

Use groups.google.com advanced search to find a thread with Whirlpool
in the name, maybe the first word, and see the answer to his question,
which I think gave the whirlpool manual webpage. (Sort your results
by date although the relevance should be very high too. There were
posts withyint the last two days.)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 05:30:07 GMT, Wlm Singleton

The group where that thread was was alt.home.repair .
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

wrote:

How do I find out if the costco whirlpool duet sport front loading washers
& dryer combination are stackable on the costco pedestal?

Find the manual online and read it there.

It doesn't say in the manual from Whirlpool, Maytag, Kenmore, etc!
http://www.insideadvantage.com/asset.../W10108880.pdf

I already looked. If it says it in there, I challenge anyone to find it!

Plus nobody EVER asked this question on the Internet. I googled
extensively.

I think this is tribal knowledge that only someone with it working or a
repairman would know.

Do you know if both the washer & dryer can be stacked on the
Whirlpool/Kenmore/Maytag pedestal?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 02:43:52 -0400, mm wrote:
google

I also called Whirlpool/Costco customer care at 866-403-5448 and they said
nobody ever asked if both the washer and dryer could be stacked on a single
pedestal. They said I "could try it to see if it worked" but that seems
kind of risky to me.

I also asked and they said to contact Whirlpool,
hence completing the useless cycle. So I'm asking YOU!

Has ANYONE on earth ever stacked a washer & dryer on a pedestal?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 08:45:03 -0700, Wlm Singleton wrote:
Has ANYONE on earth ever stacked a washer & dryer on a pedestal?

Nithing here either.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/usapp...ed8500sdim.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house

Are you asking if you can stack the dryer on top of the washer, and then
those two on top of a single pedestal?
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Wlm Singleton" wrote in message
. net...
How do I find out if the costco whirlpool duet sport front loading washers
& dryer combination are stackable on the costco pedestal?

Does anyone know?

The part numbers a
- Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer, [Model WFW8410SW] Item # 133047
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product... e=&lang=en-US

- Whirlpool Duet Sport Elec Dryer, [Model WED8410SW] Item # 133053
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...av=&cat=& s=1

- Pedestal with drawer [Model LAB2700MQ]
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...av=&cat=& s=1

Can you stack this dryer and washer on this pedestal?
How can I find out?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:05:47 -0400, Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Are you asking if you can stack the dryer on top of the washer, and then
those two on top of a single pedestal?

Yes. I don't see anywhere where it says you can or can not do this given
the standard Whirlpool pedestal.

While I can find the Whirlpool Duet Sport Stack Kit (8541503), I can't find
the bracket that braces the pedestal to the stacked Whirlpool Duet Sport
washer (WTW8410SW) & dryer (WED8410SW).

Anyone who installs a washer & dryer would run into this in the first month
of deliveries as I can't be the ONLY person in the world who wants to stack
a washer & dryer on a pedestal, can I?

I'm 5'6 so the only problem might be getting to the controls though.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house

I really don't see why not.
It is true, that you would be loading the single pedestal more than perhaps
was intended, but my intuition tells me you could load 5 washers on those
things, without a problem.
And, a dryer is lighter than the washer, considerably so.
And, the dryer would serve to further stabilize the washer on the pedestal.

imo, no problem whatsoever.
Some might argue, Oh, now the center of gravity of the dryer is too high,
blah blah, but that's not really an issue for dryers.
It is an issue for a washer, because of the very fast spins, and the dryer
on top of the washer actually helps in this regard.
--
------

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house
NA NA is offline

On Jul 3, 12:50 pm, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
I really don't see why not.
It is true, that you would be loading the single pedestal more than perhaps
was intended, but my intuition tells me you could load 5 washers on those
things, without a problem.
And, a dryer is lighter than the washer, considerably so.
And, the dryer would serve to further stabilize the washer on the pedestal.

imo, no problem whatsoever.
Some might argue, Oh, now the center of gravity of the dryer is too high,
blah blah, but that's not really an issue for dryers.
It is an issue for a washer, because of the very fast spins, and the dryer
on top of the washer actually helps in this regard.

My washer moves during spin. Particularly if there is a very heavy
load (such as when comforters are in). If that happens, and the washer/
dryer combo move off the base and collapse on a child, serous
consequences could occur.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house

wrote:
[...]

The washer is screwed to the pedestal base. Since I own a Whirlpool
Duet on pedestals, I measured just where the dryer door would be if
stacked upon the washer sitting on a pedestal. The bottom of the
dryer opening would be 72 inches from the ground. The dryer controls
would be 7 feet from the floor. And there would be no way to get
anything out of the dryer unless you were almost 7 feet tall or
standing on a ladder. While the Duet and its lookalikes are
stackable, I think putting the stack on a pedestal is just foolish,
especially if you're only 5'6" as the OP has said. If he's that
limited on space, the Duet style isn't right for him.
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

wrote:
[...]

Why not stack them without the pedestal? I'd put my wife on a
pedestal, but not my washing machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house

Wlm Singleton wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:05:47 -0400, Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Are you asking if you can stack the dryer on top of the washer, and then
those two on top of a single pedestal?

Yes. I don't see anywhere where it says you can or can not do this given
the standard Whirlpool pedestal.

While I can find the Whirlpool Duet Sport Stack Kit (8541503), I can't find
the bracket that braces the pedestal to the stacked Whirlpool Duet Sport
washer (WTW8410SW) & dryer (WED8410SW).

Anyone who installs a washer & dryer would run into this in the first month
of deliveries as I can't be the ONLY person in the world who wants to stack
a washer & dryer on a pedestal, can I?

I'm 5'6 so the only problem might be getting to the controls though.

A couple of questions that occur to me that should be checked:
(a) what weight is the pedestal rated for?
(b) what is the combined weight of the dryer and washer?

Weight problems could well be one reason you can't find any references
to folks having done it before.

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house

"William Underhill" wrote in message
Wlm Singleton wrote:
[...]

My sales training, selling these at Sears, was that you could not stack both
units on a single pedestal. Having seen and set a pedestal up on the sales
floor, they don't seem to be substantial enough for the job.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

Wlm Singleton wrote:
[...]

How high is this pedestal?

What would be the point if the top will come out more than 7 feet
high? Why not skip the pedestal?

Why can't the washer sit on the floor, like mine does and every one
I've seen since 1957? (The one we had before that said on a wooden
orange crate, because the basement flooded. Is that the reason?)

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 00:40:10 -0400, mm wrote:
How high is this pedestal?

The Costco Whirlpool Duet Sport pedestals are 13 inches tall:
http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/200702/?pg=8

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product... e=&lang=en-US

However, the factory Whirlpool pedestals (sans drawer) are 10 inches and 15
inches tall (depending on which ones we buy):

http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...04&pro d=1001
http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...04&pro d=1000

The actual washer & dryer are 36 inches tall
Depth: 30 in.
Width: 27 in.
Maximum Height: 36 in.
http://www.whirlpool.com/assets/pdfs...RE/8540321.pdf
http://www.whirlpool.com/assets/pdfs...40321-D-WH.pdf
Note: These service manuals are for the 8500 which seems to be the
closest thing to the Costco Duet Sport (sans the water heater).

What would be the point if the top will come out more than 7 feet
high? Why not skip the pedestal?

Why can't the washer sit on the floor, like mine does and every one
I've seen since 1957? (The one we had before that said on a wooden
orange crate, because the basement flooded. Is that the reason?)

No. Mainly, as the ad copy says below, so we don't have to bend as much.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...av=&cat=& s=1
.... "Convenient storage pedestals raise the Duet Washer and Dryer 13" above
floor height, so you don't have to bend to load and unload your laundry.
The spacious drawer is large enough to store your detergent, bleach, dryer
sheets and more."...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 02:45:45 GMT, Tom G wrote:
My sales training, selling these at Sears, was that you could not stack both
units on a single pedestal. Having seen and set a pedestal up on the sales
floor, they don't seem to be substantial enough for the job.

That seems to be the consensus but the wierd thing is NOWHERE in the
factory PDFs does it actually say that!
10 inch
http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...04&pro d=1000
15 inch
http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...04&pro d=1001
13 inch
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...av=&cat=& s=1

So, we're left to guessing.

What the heck are the factory PDFs for anyway if they don't tell us
anything about how to stack the units!

That's why I came to you guys for help!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 21:58:32 GMT, William Underhill wrote:
A couple of questions that occur to me that should be checked:
(a) what weight is the pedestal rated for?
(b) what is the combined weight of the dryer and washer?

You'd think the darn PDFs from the factory would have this information.
But they don't!

10 inch pedestal:
http://www.whirlpool.com/assets/pdfs...LL/8543738.pdf

13 inch pedestal:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...av=&cat=& s=1

15.5 inch pedestal:
http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...01&view=1#tabs
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:31:34 -0400, mm wrote:
Why not stack them without the pedestal? I'd put my wife on a
pedestal, but not my washing machine.

Yep. That's my only option as it doesn't seem, from the answers here, that
the washer and dryer and pedestal are all stackable.

If I stack the washer (36 inches) under the dryer (36 inches), that makes
the controls a maximum of 6 feet high. Since I'm 5'6", the controls will be
just about at eye level since they're not at the tippy top of the unit.

Does that calculation make sense to you?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 21:08:59 GMT, Grandpa wrote:
The bottom of the
dryer opening would be 72 inches from the ground. The dryer controls
would be 7 feet from the floor.

Both the washer and dryer are 36 inches tall and the pedestal at Costco is
13 inches. That would put the bottom of the washer at 49 inches which is an
inch over four feet. Since I'm 5'6", it seemed like the dryer door handle
would be at around 67 inches (13 + 36 + 1/2*36) which is just about how
tall I am.

I did wonder about the controls, which would be over my head.

But, since most of you have stated I can't stack the washer and dryer on
the pedestal (I wish I could find that in writing by Whirlpool), I'll gain
13 inches which puts the controls just under the six foot point which
should be about six to nine inches above my eyes.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 13:08:08 -0700, NA wrote:
My washer moves during spin. Particularly if there is a very heavy
load (such as when comforters are in). If that happens, and the washer/
dryer combo move off the base and collapse on a child, serous
consequences could occur.

I don't disbelieve you. I'd just like to see something (anything) from
Whirlpool in writing that says we shouldn't stack the washer and dryer on a
pedestal.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 06:58:28 GMT, Wlm Singleton
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 00:40:10 -0400, mm wrote:
How high is this pedestal?

The Costco Whirlpool Duet Sport pedestals are 13 inches tall:

What is the "sport" involved?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product... e=&lang=en-US

However, the factory Whirlpool pedestals (sans drawer) are 10 inches and 15
inches tall (depending on which ones we buy):

http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...04&pro d=1001
http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...04&pro d=1000

The actual washer & dryer are 36 inches tall
Maximum Height: 36 in.
Note: These service manuals are for the 8500 which seems to be the
closest thing to the Costco Duet Sport (sans the water heater).

What would be the point if the top will come out more than 7 feet
high? Why not skip the pedestal?

Why can't the washer sit on the floor, like mine does and every one
I've seen since 1957? (The one we had before that said on a wooden
orange crate, because the basement flooded. Is that the reason?)

No. Mainly, as the ad copy says below, so we don't have to bend as much.

Do you have a bad back? I"m 60 and I don't have the slightest trouble
bending down for the dryer. My washer is a toploader and works fine,
but if it were a front loader, I could bend down for it too.

... "Convenient storage pedestals raise the Duet Washer and Dryer 13" above
floor height, so you don't have to bend to load and unload your laundry.
The spacious drawer is large enough to store your detergent, bleach, dryer
sheets and more."...

So what if it is 49" above the ground plus another 14 inches to the
bottom of the drawer. That would be 63 inches. Now if you're 5'6" and
your head is 6? inches high, that would mean the top of your shoulders
is 60 inches, 3 inches below the opening of the door. If you angle
your arms, you'll be able to get them in the opening, but how will you
get them to bend down at the elbows to take the clothes out of the
dryer?

Are the controls higher than 63? I'm sure they are more like 85
inches, 7 foot 3, so you'll never be able to turn the dryer on. Maybe
you'll just put them in but never dry them, so you can put more and
more clothes in and you'll never have to take them out.

Have you thought about this at all?

This strikes me as the dumbest thread I've ever read.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house

ups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Good point, but easily covered by fastening the combined unit to the wall
near the top.

Actually had to do that with a new stove/range, as they are now so light
(thin crappy metal and plastic) a bit of pressure on the door when opened
tilted the whole unit even with the "included" floor brace supposedly for
that purpose. (it actually bent)