Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

Default Can Whirlpool washer & dryer be stacked on pedestal drawers?

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 21:08:59 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

NA wrote:
On Jul 3, 12:50 pm, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
I really don't see why not.
It is true, that you would be loading the single pedestal more than perhaps
was intended, but my intuition tells me you could load 5 washers on those
things, without a problem.
And, a dryer is lighter than the washer, considerably so.
And, the dryer would serve to further stabilize the washer on the pedestal.

imo, no problem whatsoever.
Some might argue, Oh, now the center of gravity of the dryer is too high,
blah blah, but that's not really an issue for dryers.
It is an issue for a washer, because of the very fast spins, and the dryer
on top of the washer actually helps in this regard.

My washer moves during spin. Particularly if there is a very heavy
load (such as when comforters are in). If that happens, and the washer/
dryer combo move off the base and collapse on a child, serous
consequences could occur.

The washer is screwed to the pedestal base. Since I own a Whirlpool
Duet on pedestals, I measured just where the dryer door would be if
stacked upon the washer sitting on a pedestal. The bottom of the
dryer opening would be 72 inches from the ground. The dryer controls
would be 7 feet from the floor. And there would be no way to get
anything out of the dryer unless you were almost 7 feet tall or
standing on a ladder. While the Duet and its lookalikes are
stackable, I think putting the stack on a pedestal is just foolish,
especially if you're only 5'6" as the OP has said. If he's that
limited on space, the Duet style isn't right for him.

Why not stack them without the pedestal? I'd put my wife on a
pedestal, but not my washing machine.