Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

Default Portable A/C

Where was the heat in the first place?

Latent versus sensible heat.

You are ignorant of thermodynamics and unable to understand the physical
principles.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Dehumidifiers are MORE than 100% efficient as heaters, as latent heat
pumps, since removing water vapor from air adds heat. I measured
a 1.6 COP with a power meter and a measuring cup.

So you're saying a dehumidifier that consumes 800 watts of energy is
providing more than 800 watts of heat?

Yes. If it's like the one I measured, it would provide 1.6x800 = 1280 watts.

BULL****!!!!

Do you believe a 500 watt air conditioner can move 1500 watts of heat? :-)

It's time to admit you are wrong and apologize for your arrogance.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 27, 4:11 pm, Ook wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Any recommendations for a portable A/C, about 8000 BTU (the kind with a
flexible duct that goes into the window)?

I don't need heat from it -- just A/C and dehumidification.

The names Soleus and Amcor pop up a lot. The familiar names like Friedrick
don't seem to have anything at all.

Don't waste your money on one. I had an 8000 BTU model. It was a
worthless piece of junk. They have a *very* serious design flaw - the
air the gets blown across the condensing coils (high side, the hot part)
on normal a/c units comes from outside, blows across the high side, and
is vented to the outside. Works great. With the portable units, the air
that blows across the condensing coils comes from the room your are
trying to cool, and is vented to the outside. This causes a relatively
high volume of air to be vented to the outside - and hot air to be
sucked into the room. IOW, it is constantly sucking in a lot of hot air
from outside, and trying to cool it along with the hot air that is
already in the room. Because of this, they will not cool as much space
as a window mount 8000 BTU unit will.

Bite the bullet and get a window mount unit.

or get one with two hoses, that draws in its condenser air from the
outside

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

I've had a Sunpentown 13000 BTU unit for 3 years. It's
very effective, efficient, and the condensate goes out
with the air exhaust. I installed a dryer vent through
the wall to regain the full use of my window. It keeps
the computer room cool and doesn't cost a lot to run.

Ordering over the Internet, including shipping, was
comparable in price to buying a 9000 btu unit with a much
lower efficiency rating locally.

The quality of this unit really surprised me.

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Any recommendations for a portable A/C, about 8000 BTU (the kind with a
flexible duct that goes into the window)?

I don't need heat from it -- just A/C and dehumidification.

The names Soleus and Amcor pop up a lot. The familiar names like Friedrick
don't seem to have anything at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

"Jeffrey Lebowski" wrote in message
newsqGdnS8qsrC9pB7bnZ2dnUVZ_oupnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote

in
message ...

I "prefer" to empty
buckets/use the water, but it is a chore.

What are you using the water for?

From elsewhere, I know he's also a machinist--and so probly he uses it (
as
do I ) to mix with water soluble cutting oil or synthetic instead of
buying
DI water...just need to add an anti-microbial..

I'm flattered... you didn't insert the adjective "wannabee".
Ahma haveta tell the group....

Indeed, soluble oil, but the output is too prodigious even for that (on a
maintenance basis), so I basically pour it around the plants/lawn/house.

I tried draining it right into the Fadal resevoir tank, figgered it'd be
good as "makeup water", and boy was I surprised to see the tank overflow
(30-35 gal!), not to mention the coolant getting awfully thin in the
meantime.

So I had to stop that, and do the 5 gal bucket thing.
Somewhat the pita.
Each 5 gal bucket is 40 lbs, made more difficult by pulling it from an
awkward location, and then tryna not spill it, and then for some distance.
sheeesh.....
I think NYC water is about .00001 c per gallon.

Oh well... .
But, you know what they say:
00001 penny saved is .00001 penny earned.

--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Where was the heat in the first place?

Latent versus sensible heat.

You are ignorant of thermodynamics and unable to understand the physical
principles.

I understand **** that you don't.

The heat was there to begin with idiot!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Dehumidifiers are MORE than 100% efficient as heaters, as latent heat
pumps, since removing water vapor from air adds heat. I measured
a 1.6 COP with a power meter and a measuring cup.

So you're saying a dehumidifier that consumes 800 watts of energy is
providing more than 800 watts of heat?

Yes. If it's like the one I measured, it would provide 1.6x800 = 1280

watts.

BULL****!!!!

Do you believe a 500 watt air conditioner can move 1500 watts of heat? :-)

It's time to admit you are wrong and apologize for your arrogance.

Nick

With an air conditioner the condenser is OUTSIDE.

With a portable dehumidifier, the condenser is INSIDE.

Big difference and the unit is NOT creating more heat then it's using,
PERIOD!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 27, 5:45 pm, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
Wish I had known about the two hose units!
Now that I think back, I seem to recall two hose units, but didn't realize
the purpose.

Good link, but website wasn't that informative--no price, EER. Any ideas?
Other observations good as well. Prodigious condensate. I "prefer" to empty
buckets/use the water, but it is a chore.
A pump to a storage barrel would be better.
The 850 watt Amana can readily fill a 5 gal pail in 24 hrs.

They are all pretty ineffecient. Better effeciency can be had by
spending more money on central A/C (higher SEER) or a mini-split (for
example Fujitsu's run up to a whopping 21 SEER). In both of those
cases you would need a professional install.

That being said, a dinky little A/C like that, even running at 8 SEER
or something crappy like that, is not going to break the bank just
because it's not big anyhow, and you probably don't run it 24/7.
Additionally, depending on your situation, wasting some electricity
dollars may be ok if the alternatives (putting central A/C in your
rental unit or something) don't make sense. This "ineffeciency" may
add up to something like $10 a month (guessing here) so it may not
matter.

Jensington

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

In "Proctologically Violated©®" writes:

I think NYC water is about .00001 c per gallon.

Last year's rate was $2.02 per hundred cubic feet (ccf)
PLUS an additional 159 percent for the accompanying
sewage dump [a], or $5.2318 per ccf.

With 750 gallons per ccf, that's $0.0069, or
about 0.7 cents (3/4 of a cent) per gallon.

Note that this is _last year's_ rate. There's
been an 11 percent increase propsed
for this year. I'm pretty sure that's the
final number, but there might be some
slight adjustments in the pipeline.

[a] for most customers the pipeline water
is the same quantity as the sewage dump. The
city will do separate metering if
there's a major difference - for example,
if you're using well water for your
car wash and dumping it in the sewer.

Oh well... .
But, you know what they say:
00001 penny saved is .00001 penny earned.

--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

"Abby Normal" wrote in message
ups.com

Get one with two hoses, the single hose ones cause a fair bit of
outside air to infiltrate in

Thanks everyone, especially to those who pointed out that some have 2 hoses.
I was wondering before if the single hoses were split.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

"Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote in message

Indeed, soluble oil, but the output is too prodigious even for that
(on a maintenance basis), so I basically pour it around the
plants/lawn/house.

I once read about a guy who used water (from the main supply) to fill a
bucket that pulled his heavy iron driveway gate open, and *then* went to
watering the plants.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

No doubt a guy with much too much free time....

--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message
"Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote in message

Indeed, soluble oil, but the output is too prodigious even for that
(on a maintenance basis), so I basically pour it around the
plants/lawn/house.

I once read about a guy who used water (from the main supply) to fill a
bucket that pulled his heavy iron driveway gate open, and *then* went to
watering the plants.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

I understand s*** that you don't.

No doubt about that. Just not thermodynamics.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

Big difference and the unit is NOT creating more heat then it's using,
PERIOD!

Define "create".

It doesn't "create" heat in the sense of violating energy conservation.

However it does convert latent heat that doesn't affect a thermometer to
sensible heat that does.

Just think of it as evaporative cooling in reverse. Condensive heating, if
you like. Multiple joules of sensible heat appear compared to the joules
of energy used to run the machinery.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

So you're saying a dehumidifier that consumes 800 watts of energy is
providing more than 800 watts of heat?

By the way, that's 800 watts of power, vs energy.
You might enjoy learning the difference :-)

It's time to admit you are wrong and apologize for your arrogance.

... the unit is NOT creating more heat then it's using, PERIOD!

Wow, you really ARE stupid... and not embarrassed at all? :-)

Think really hard. It takes energy to evaporate water...

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:50:47 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

"Abby Normal" wrote in message
oups.com

Get one with two hoses, the single hose ones cause a fair bit of
outside air to infiltrate in

Thanks everyone, especially to those who pointed out that some have 2 hoses.
I was wondering before if the single hoses were split.

Hi Tom,

FWIW, this article appeared in today's Plain Dealer:

http://www.cleveland.com/living/plai...780.xml&coll=2

Cheers,
Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
I understand s*** that you don't.

No doubt about that. Just not thermodynamics.

Whatever, you can believe what you want... even if it's wrong!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Big difference and the unit is NOT creating more heat then it's using,
PERIOD!

Define "create".

It doesn't "create" heat in the sense of violating energy conservation.

However it does convert latent heat that doesn't affect a thermometer to
sensible heat that does.

It "converts" heat, but it doesn't "create" it, it was in the space already!
Therefore, it's not 100% + efficient.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

So you're saying a dehumidifier that consumes 800 watts of energy is
providing more than 800 watts of heat?

By the way, that's 800 watts of power, vs energy.
You might enjoy learning the difference :-)

It's time to admit you are wrong and apologize for your arrogance.

... the unit is NOT creating more heat then it's using, PERIOD!

Wow, you really ARE stupid...

If I'm stupid you must be retarded?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

kj,
Just killfile the ignorant troll, like everybody else has.
His only purpose in life is to try and stir up ****

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
I understand s*** that you don't.

No doubt about that. Just not thermodynamics.

Whatever, you can believe what you want... even if it's wrong!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Wish I had known about the two hose units!
Now that I think back, I seem to recall two hose units, but didn't realize
the purpose.
Unfortunately, never saw any two-hose units when I was ready to buy, and
likely the PC Richards people wouldna known what they were for, either.

So you got hosed!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

years ago i got into a heated argument with the fellow in charge of
building maintence where i worked. the window AC unit was ineffective
having been vented into a compressor machine room. in the summer the
temperature in there must of been near 200 degrees. the jerk claimed
that had no effect on the ac operation...

clearly he was wrong, and either too stupid to realize it or plain
lazy and didnt want to move the unit. worse the company wanted us
looking professional in long sleeve dress shirts and ties, in a
office near 90 degrees..........

heck they really wanted us in suits.........

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

It "converts" heat, but it doesn't "create" it, it was in the space
already!

No. Water vapor is not heat. A dehumidifier produces more watt-hours of
sensible heat than the watt-hours of electricity consumed, the difference
being the heat of vaporization of the water vapor condensed.

The sensible heat was no more "in the space" than if you had used fuel or a
battery to create heat from stored energy.

This is likely over your head, as it is a matter of thermodynamics that
takes years of study, and which very few people are qualified to
understand.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair
m m is offline

I use a portable split A/C. If you pay more, you can get portable split
A/C with an aggregate installed in an external unit. As far as I can
remember the external unit can not be put outside the house as it is
raining, otherwise it can be put outside. I put the external unit in a
small room with open window and additionally put a fan in that room
directed to the window to blow hot air outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

Indeed, soluble oil, but the output is too prodigious even for that
(on a maintenance basis), so I basically pour it around the
plants/lawn/house.

I once read about a guy who used water (from the main supply) to fill a
bucket that pulled his heavy iron driveway gate open, and *then* went to
watering the plants.

http://www.sandman.com/telco.html

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

Interesting.
Link/dealer?

The refrigerant goes thru flexible lines, I gather?
--
------

"m" wrote in message ...
I use a portable split A/C. If you pay more, you can get portable split A/C
with an aggregate installed in an external unit. As far as I can remember
the external unit can not be put outside the house as it is raining,
otherwise it can be put outside. I put the external unit in a small room
with open window and additionally put a fan in that room directed to the
window to blow hot air outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .
It "converts" heat, but it doesn't "create" it, it was in the space
already!

No. Water vapor is not heat. A dehumidifier produces more watt-hours of
sensible heat than the watt-hours of electricity consumed, the difference
being the heat of vaporization of the water vapor condensed.

The sensible heat was no more "in the space" than if you had used fuel or

battery to create heat from stored energy.

This is likely over your head, as it is a matter of thermodynamics that
takes years of study, and which very few people are qualified to
understand.

The only thing that's over my head, is the fact I don't speak or understand
BULL****.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .

* This is likely over your head, as it is a matter of
* thermodynamics that takes years of study, and which
* very few people are qualified to understand.

Just listen to yourself.

There are many idiots on the planet.
However, you're not THAT smart, and others are
not THAT stupid.

The sad part is, it probably doesn't even phase the
people who know you one bit.

-zero

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

The only thing that's over my head, is the fact I don't speak or understand
BULL****.

So you need more education... :-)

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 28, 11:44 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
It "converts" heat, but it doesn't "create" it, it was in the space
already!

No. Water vapor is not heat. A dehumidifier produces more watt-hours of
sensible heat than the watt-hours of electricity consumed, the difference
being the heat of vaporization of the water vapor condensed.

The sensible heat was no more "in the space" than if you had used fuel or a
battery to create heat from stored energy.

This is likely over your head, as it is a matter of thermodynamics that
takes years of study, and which very few people are qualified to
understand.

If the dehunidifier is in the space the power to run it is heat added
to the space. Any other heat it delivers was in the space already. It
converts latent heat to sensible.

The only heat it removes is the energy in the liquid condensate that
drains away.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

-zero writes:

However, you're not THAT smart, and others are not THAT stupid.

In some ways, I agree. On certain technical topics, there is THAT much
of a gulf between wisdom and folly.

The modern egalitarian culture is that IQ doesn't really matter, because
not all have it equally. Smart guys who know calculus, physics,
chemistry, etc., on a sophisticated level are just nerds who have no
social capacity. This notion is supported by the recent explosion of
unintelligent people who acquire a little arcane knowledge about this or
that latest computer gadget, and impress people as somehow smart, like
children with video games that baffle adults.

And supported by the fallacies of public education, which hold that we
are all created equally intelligent (for some mushy definition of
"intelligent") and that the average child can learn math and science.
Since the average person does well to even approach algebra, much less
calculus, "math and science" must therefore be defined down to trivial
concepts with no practical use in genuine engineering and real-world
problems, like looking at gee-whiz stuff in "science" museums. If we
can't disprove the bell curve, then we'll say the bell curve doesn't
matter.

So if you're gonna run down those on the upper tail of the bell curve,
then just make fun of their pocket protectors or whatever, not their
genuine contributions that make your modern life possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

-zero writes:

[...]

What have YOU done toward genuine contributions that make MY modern life
possible? Just curious! Invent the pocket protector?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

"kool" wrote in
message news:jcehi.73517$NV3.41246@pd7urf2no...

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in
message
. ..
-zero writes:

[...]

I have observed that people on the low side of the
curve quickly revert to personal attacks when
confronted with ideas they can not comprehend of
objectively discuss,

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

What have YOU done toward genuine contributions that make MY modern life
possible? Just curious! Invent the pocket protector?

I have observed that people on the low side of the curve quickly revert to
personal attacks when confronted with ideas they can not comprehend of
objectively discuss,

Maybe you should ask yourself the same question

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

-zero writes:

[...]

David, please don't take my comment the wrong way.I certainly didn't intend
it as a "personal attack" upon RJK.
I am merely curious about his contribution to the betterment of our lives.I
will be the first to bow in respect if he has done more than prolong the art
of crossposting.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

I've noticed much the same.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"David" wrote in message
:
: "kool" wrote in
: message news:jcehi.73517$NV3.41246@pd7urf2no...
:
: What have YOU done toward genuine contributions
: that make MY modern life possible? Just curious!
: Invent the pocket protector?
:
: I have observed that people on the low side of the
: curve quickly revert to personal attacks when
: confronted with ideas they can not comprehend of
: objectively discuss,
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

snip
So if you're gonna run down those on the upper tail of
the bell curve,
then just make fun of their pocket protectors or
whatever, not their
genuine contributions that make your modern life
possible.

What have YOU done toward genuine contributions that
make MY modern life possible? Just curious! Invent the
pocket protector?

I have observed that people on the low side of the curve
quickly revert to personal attacks when confronted with
ideas they can not comprehend or
objectively discuss.

David, please don't take my comment the wrong way.I
certainly didn't intend it as a "personal attack" upon
RJK.
I am merely curious about his contribution to the
betterment of our lives.I will be the first to bow in
respect if he has done more than prolong the art of
crossposting.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

"David" wrote in message
t...

"Noon-Air" wrote in message

What have YOU done toward genuine contributions that make MY modern
life possible? Just curious! Invent the pocket protector?

I have observed that people on the low side of the curve quickly revert
to personal attacks when confronted with ideas they can not comprehend
of objectively discuss,

Maybe you should ask yourself the same question

Q.E.D.

OK, so are you going to attempt to dazzle us with brilliance?? or baffle us
with more BS??
How about telling us what you have done toward genuine contributions that
make modern life possible.
Have you participated in scientific expeditions that benifited the world at
large?? or helped develop something that is benificial to mankind?? or
developed techniques to help clean up environmental disasters??
Well??? have you??

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
years ago i got into a heated argument with the fellow in charge of
building maintence where i worked. the window AC unit was ineffective
having been vented into a compressor machine room. in the summer the
temperature in there must of been near 200 degrees. the jerk claimed
that had no effect on the ac operation...

clearly he was wrong, and either too stupid to realize it or plain
lazy and didnt want to move the unit. worse the company wanted us
looking professional in long sleeve dress shirts and ties, in a
office near 90 degrees..........

heck they really wanted us in suits.........

Yikes

I've observed that head pressure is more or less directly related to
condenser temperature, if it was 200 degrees in there the pressure must have
been through the roof. No wonder it quit working.

Portable A/C Tom Del Rosso Electronics Repair 84 June 30th 07 08:11 PM
Portable drill John Lynch Home Repair 36 September 10th 06 04:37 PM
Anyone uses portable AC? Amanda Home Repair 4 July 23rd 06 06:08 PM
Portable A/C? [email protected] Home Ownership 6 June 21st 06 05:33 PM
There Is a Portable Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 11 August 31st 05 02:09 PM