Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline

Default Portable A/C

On Jun 27, 4:11 pm, Ook wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Any recommendations for a portable A/C, about 8000 BTU (the kind with a
flexible duct that goes into the window)?

I don't need heat from it -- just A/C and dehumidification.

The names Soleus and Amcor pop up a lot. The familiar names like Friedrick
don't seem to have anything at all.

Don't waste your money on one. I had an 8000 BTU model. It was a
worthless piece of junk. They have a *very* serious design flaw - the
air the gets blown across the condensing coils (high side, the hot part)
on normal a/c units comes from outside, blows across the high side, and
is vented to the outside. Works great. With the portable units, the air
that blows across the condensing coils comes from the room your are
trying to cool, and is vented to the outside. This causes a relatively
high volume of air to be vented to the outside - and hot air to be
sucked into the room. IOW, it is constantly sucking in a lot of hot air
from outside, and trying to cool it along with the hot air that is
already in the room. Because of this, they will not cool as much space
as a window mount 8000 BTU unit will.

Bite the bullet and get a window mount unit.

or get one with two hoses, that draws in its condenser air from the
outside