Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair
David David is offline

Default Portable A/C

"kool" wrote in
message news:jcehi.73517$NV3.41246@pd7urf2no...

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in
message
. ..
-zero writes:

However, you're not THAT smart, and others are
not THAT stupid.

In some ways, I agree. On certain technical
topics, there is THAT much
of a gulf between wisdom and folly.

The modern egalitarian culture is that IQ
doesn't really matter, because
not all have it equally. Smart guys who know
calculus, physics,
chemistry, etc., on a sophisticated level are
just nerds who have no
social capacity. This notion is supported by
the recent explosion of
unintelligent people who acquire a little
arcane knowledge about this or
that latest computer gadget, and impress people
as somehow smart, like
children with video games that baffle adults.

And supported by the fallacies of public
education, which hold that we
are all created equally intelligent (for some
mushy definition of
"intelligent") and that the average child can
learn math and science.
Since the average person does well to even
approach algebra, much less
calculus, "math and science" must therefore be
defined down to trivial
concepts with no practical use in genuine
engineering and real-world
problems, like looking at gee-whiz stuff in
"science" museums. If we
can't disprove the bell curve, then we'll say
the bell curve doesn't
matter.

So if you're gonna run down those on the upper
tail of the bell curve,
then just make fun of their pocket protectors
or whatever, not their
genuine contributions that make your modern
life possible.

What have YOU done toward genuine contributions
that make MY modern life possible? Just curious!
Invent the pocket protector?

I have observed that people on the low side of the
curve quickly revert to personal attacks when
confronted with ideas they can not comprehend of
objectively discuss,