Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

Default Mice in the basement

Ignoramus26157 wrote:
We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry"
down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which the
mice fed on.

We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse cube"
type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse. Kids
reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

I would prefer not to use poison for two reasons, one is that we have
a toddler, and another is that dead mice make big stink (don't ask me
how I know). I would prefer to either drive them away, or catch them.

Thanks

Hungry cat.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

Mysterion wrote:

"Ignoramus26157" wrote in message

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

A few years ago I would have said "Get a cat".
Then, I discovered my best hunting cat was depositing live mice in my
basement.
Apparently he wanted to have something to hunt when the weather turned
cold outside and decided to set up his own game preserve.

ROTFLMAO

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article om,
" wrote:

there are live mouse traps, trap door, like a havehart trap. work well.

They don't work worth a damn. Unless you enjoy trapping the same mice over
and
over and over.

easily released mice outdoors. plus its humane

Humane, maybe, but stupid. Release them outdoors, and they're back indoors
within hours, if not minutes.

I took mine a mile away to a park, on the way to work the next day, and
released them in the weeds beside the river. Probably fed a snake or owl,
but at least I didn't have to watch. If any are still here, they are laying
low. The live traps remain untripped, and no fresh turds in the corners of
the cabinets. Guess I probably oughta wash out the traps and change the
peanut butter- probably rancid by now.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"Ignoramus26157" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:59:49 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
In article om,
" wrote:

there are live mouse traps, trap door, like a havehart trap. work well.

They don't work worth a damn. Unless you enjoy trapping the same mice
over and
over and over.

easily released mice outdoors. plus its humane

Humane, maybe, but stupid. Release them outdoors, and they're back
indoors
within hours, if not minutes.

I am definitely going to kill them. Just a little of gasoline poured
into a mouse cube, works well.

Pollutes the air and the groundwater. Just drop the cubes in a bucket of
water.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"Bob F" wrote in message

wrote in message
In misc.survivalism JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Spring-loaded mouse trap baited with a bit of cracker & peanut butter.
Yeah...I know...you have to remove the dead mouse,

They are cheap enough to throw the whole thing into the bin.

Some people are sure squeamish.

Hey, I resemble that remark. Good thing for the world I am squeamish.
Hope the grocery stores never close, or I'll have to become vegetarian,
because I sure ain't cute enough to get anyone to hunt and fish, and clean
the catch for me.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"Kate" wrote in message
news

"JohnM" wrote
Depends on the cat. Some won't hunt even if you don't feed them, and
others will kill and eat every rodent that comes by even if you keep
catfood out all the time.

The wife and I had one old cat that loved to eat mice, but we'd always
find the same particular organ from the mouse innards laying where the
cat ate the mouse. Whatever organ it was, the cat didn't like it.

I always opt for cats to control rodents. I live out in the sticks and
rodents can be counted on to try to move in every fall, gotta have a
good cat.

John

I have TWO good cats. Both are hunters, the smaller one is the best
huntress. She even has captured a few squirrels.
I too live out in the sticks, and they keep the rodent population down to
almost nothing.

Mine will bring home a critter that is still kicking now and then but if
we
praise them with "Good Kitty, mighty hunter!" and then tell them to take
it
outside, surprisingly they do.
I think they believe they are offering a gift of food for the family.Mine
also leave just that one organ....

Once, when my little sister was a teenager living at home, she got in a car
wreck and trashed her knee. (thankfully temporarily). However, the entire
week or so she was basically bedridden, the old Mama cat of the house, who
hadn't noticably hunted in years, brought a freshly killed mouse to the
front door every morning. Guess the cat thought my sister needed extra
nutrition to heal up, and couldn't hunt for herself.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

On Jun 14, 10:16 am, Ignoramus26157 ignoramus26...@NOSPAM.
26157.invalid wrote:
We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry"
down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which the
mice fed on.

We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse cube"
type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse. Kids
reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

I would prefer not to use poison for two reasons, one is that we have
a toddler, and another is that dead mice make big stink (don't ask me
how I know). I would prefer to either drive them away, or catch them.

Thanks

I perfer spring traps....baited with peanut butter...placed under the
trigger...which the mice do trip.

I always leave spring traps just inside at any likely entry points to
the house...and more than one trap per entry point...think of it as a
"ring of death" that any mouse has to breach before accessing the
interior of the house.

I point out that sealing any entry points is as important as setting
the traps....if they can't locate an entry point, they can't spread
their filth inside your house.

TMT

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
news
Mysterion wrote:

"Ignoramus26157" wrote in message

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

A few years ago I would have said "Get a cat".
Then, I discovered my best hunting cat was depositing live mice in my
basement.
Apparently he wanted to have something to hunt when the weather turned
cold outside and decided to set up his own game preserve.

ROTFLMAO

It was pretty funny.
I chuckled with every trap I set.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:41:59 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:21:49 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Bob Brock" wrote in message
.. .

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Ignoramus26157" wrote in message
We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry"
down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which the
mice fed on.

We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse cube"
type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse. Kids
reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

I would prefer not to use poison for two reasons, one is that we have
a toddler, and another is that dead mice make big stink (don't ask me
how I know). I would prefer to either drive them away, or catch them.

Thanks

Spring-loaded mouse trap baited with a bit of cracker & peanut butter.
Yeah...I know...you have to remove the dead mouse, but this method
involves no poison and is very effective. Put on a pair of dishwashing
gloves when handling the dead mouse, and then wash your glove covered
hands with whatever liquid detergent you have around. Keep the toddlers
out of the basement until this is over.

Then there is the sticky traps that catch the mouse's feet. Of course
then you either have to let the mouse starve or kill him yourself.

Burn off the hair over the stove burner, then deep fry and serve with
spicy
marinara sauce as a dip, like calamari.

Proper serving is a key. Bamboo skewer up the rectum and out the mouth
is the proper way.

Plus you can deep fry them on the skewer by simply dunking em into the
hot grease.

Gunner

Great theater! Pu pu platter with mice!

Ayup. Some Nuc Mam sauce, some steamed rice with pinapple and some rice
wine to wash it all down with...ummmmmummmm...thats some good eating.

Almost as good as the puppy the Jari village chief had the women prepare
for me.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 04:57:13 -0700, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:21:49 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Bob Brock" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

What wine would you recomend? Are mice white meat or dark?

White meat of course. So if you are a big spender..Snake Wine is
indicated for the very best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_wine

Or put a case of Ba mi Ba beer on ice.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:49:09 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article ,
Ignoramus26157 wrote:
We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry"
down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which the
mice fed on.

We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse cube"
type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse. Kids
reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.

My question is how to get rid of them effectively.

The traditional method is still the best: spring traps.

Bait them with raisins. Get a good, plump, juicy raisin, and mash it down
hard
onto the bait pan. Then set the trap. They can't get the raisin off
without
springing the trap.

I had some old hard salami that worked very well for similar reason. I
sometimes got 2-3 mice per baiting.

Italian mice.

Did they get buried under a freeway?

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:07:25 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

Mysterion wrote:

"Ignoramus26157" wrote in message

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

A few years ago I would have said "Get a cat".
Then, I discovered my best hunting cat was depositing live mice in my
basement.
Apparently he wanted to have something to hunt when the weather turned
cold outside and decided to set up his own game preserve.

ROTFLMAO

Hey...everyone needs a hobby. Its not like cats can use a mic very
well...shrug

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

In article ,
Myal wrote:

I have a a couple snakes that resides under my house

We do have to be careful when heading out to the backyard . The snakes
keeps out of our way , we keep out of their way .

Works for us

Same here, but I _would_ prefer they not take after-dinner naps in our
silverware drawer -- or bite when evicted, little bastiges!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

roper serving is a key. Bamboo skewer up the rectum and out the mouth
is the proper way.

Plus you can deep fry them on the skewer by simply dunking em into the
hot grease.

While I was in college, the Advertising Division of the School of
Journalism (Where else?) sponsored a contest for the best product line
for which to write copy and design graphics.

It was open to anybody, so I submitted "Colonel Nguyen's Saigon Fried
Rat."

My entry didn't win, but the campaign one of the students designed did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Put on a pair of dishwashing gloves
when handling the dead mouse,

Or buy a box of disposable surgical gloves at Walmart. Very
inexpensive.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

Hi,

Had the same problem. Used the Victor clip mouse traps with peanut
butter, they look like Big paper binder clips. The glue ones also work
but can only be used once. The Traditional wire ones are cheap but do
not work that well. Most caught in one night was 3 mouses / mice.

The mice kept on turning up though over the next six months. Tried
desperately to look for a hole could not find one. Noticed most of the
action was in one area of the basement. Eventually found a hole there,
or rather a gap in between the wall and a drain vent pipe. The metal
cover had come loose and the critters could sneak pass.

To seal up the gap used foam sealer. These are available at Home depot
for about $US 7 per can. One can has more than enough. Try and make
sure you find all your holes because once started the can is good for
about 20 minutes. What happens is the foam starts to set in the
plastic feed tube if you do not keep on spraying. So you got to use it
up and fill all your holes in one shot.

So far so good ... fingers crossed .....

Best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

Three cats, two Newfies (big dogs) Two of the cats were brothers and
would hunt as a pack, one flushing the other killing, then share the
meal. These two guys would bring down grey and red squirrels like
nothing. The one would go into the edge of the pond to hunt frogs,
coming out covered in mud and soaking wet, and proud as hell with a
frog half his size. Middle of the day once they brought home an owl
they killed. When they first came home we had moles all over the
place, with in a year even the neighbors are mole free. The one cat
loved the youngest dog, best friends. He would bring the Newfie live
mice to play with. One day I hear the kids and my wife talking that
the dog has a mouse in his mouth, they could see the tail sticking
out. Then I hear a scream that the poor little mouse is alive,
followed shortly by the command for the dog to drop it. Like
something out of an action movie, me running through the house
screaming NOOOOOO! GET THE DOG OUTSIDE FIRST. The look on the dogs
face was priceless. He could tell the mouse was alive and didn't know
what the hell to do with it.

Best dams cats one could ever hope to have. I'm still waiting to find
a deer carcass on the porch one morning.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

In article .com, hobbes wrote:

To seal up the gap used foam sealer. These are available at Home depot
for about $US 7 per can.

Mice can and will chew through that stuff pretty easily. Mortar is a much
better choice.

One can has more than enough. Try and make
sure you find all your holes because once started the can is good for
about 20 minutes. What happens is the foam starts to set in the
plastic feed tube if you do not keep on spraying. So you got to use it
up and fill all your holes in one shot.

I've had success before with putting a sheet metal screw into the end of the
feed tube when I'm done spraying. Let the stuff set, then grab the screw with
a pair of pliers and pull it out -- and a plug of dried-up foam comes with it.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

" wrote in
ups.com:

snip

Best dams cats one could ever hope to have. I'm still waiting to find
a deer carcass on the porch one morning.

Don't laugh, at my parents farm we had a small herd(pride??) of cats that
we swore would eat anything that moved. I saw one once stalk a couple of
deer that had come down from the mountain behind the house. Funniest thing
to see a 5 lb cat creeping up on a big old buck, it would creep, freeze,
creep, freeze until it was about 20 feet away and then the buck actually
started pawing and came close to charging it. We figured the cats hunted
in packs with a couple on tree limbs and the rest chasing the deer under so
they could pounce on it causing it to sumble allowing the rest of the pride
to catch up and strip it kinda like land piranna.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"Bill" wrote in message
. 97.142...

Don't laugh, at my parents farm we had a small herd(pride??) of cats
that
we swore would eat anything that moved. I saw one once stalk a
couple of
deer that had come down from the mountain behind the house.
Funniest thing
to see a 5 lb cat creeping up on a big old buck, it would creep,
freeze,
creep, freeze until it was about 20 feet away and then the buck
actually
started pawing and came close to charging it. We figured the cats
hunted
in packs with a couple on tree limbs and the rest chasing the deer
under so
they could pounce on it causing it to sumble allowing the rest of
the pride
to catch up and strip it kinda like land piranna.

http://gothamist.com/2006/06/10/picture_of_the_4.php

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 04:57:13 -0700, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:21:49 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Bob Brock" wrote in message
. ..

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Ignoramus26157" wrote in
message
[...]

Ok, that curled my toes!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

" wrote:

first thing is harden and seal your home so more mice cant get in.
even a tiny opening is a highway for them.

How small of an opening can they get through, 0.5 inches, 0.25
inches, 0.125 inches?
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

In misc.survivalism Daniel Prince wrote:

How small of an opening can they get through, 0.5 inches, 0.25
inches, 0.125 inches?

FWIW, I was once told that a hole the diameter of a pencil is all they
need.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

In misc.survivalism Doug Miller wrote:

Yes, I've heard that too -- and it's clearly nonsense. Ever seen a mouse
skeleton? The skull of an adult mouse won't fit through a hole that small.

Half an inch is believable. Pencil-size is impossible.

Are their skulls rigid?

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-- Bertrand Russel

Getting Rid of Mice in Basement [email protected] Home Repair 55 February 19th 07 02:57 PM
Help! We have mice tessa Home Repair 37 November 2nd 06 03:05 PM
mice brianlanning Woodworking 42 February 5th 06 09:42 PM
Mice Bill UK diy 62 January 7th 05 07:23 PM
Re Re mice Paul Mc Cann UK diy 3 December 27th 04 01:02 PM