Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

Default Mice in the basement

We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry"
down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which the
mice fed on.

We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse cube"
type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse. Kids
reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

I would prefer not to use poison for two reasons, one is that we have
a toddler, and another is that dead mice make big stink (don't ask me
how I know). I would prefer to either drive them away, or catch them.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"Ignoramus26157" wrote in message
We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry"
down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which the
mice fed on.

We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse cube"
type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse. Kids
reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

I would prefer not to use poison for two reasons, one is that we have
a toddler, and another is that dead mice make big stink (don't ask me
how I know). I would prefer to either drive them away, or catch them.

Thanks

Spring-loaded mouse trap baited with a bit of cracker & peanut butter.
Yeah...I know...you have to remove the dead mouse, but this method involves
no poison and is very effective. Put on a pair of dishwashing gloves when
handling the dead mouse, and then wash your glove covered hands with
whatever liquid detergent you have around. Keep the toddlers out of the
basement until this is over.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
[...]

Then there is the sticky traps that catch the mouse's feet. Of course then
you either have to let the mouse starve or kill him yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

In article , Ignoramus26157 wrote:
We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry"
down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which the
mice fed on.

We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse cube"
type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse. Kids
reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.

My question is how to get rid of them effectively.

The traditional method is still the best: spring traps.

Bait them with raisins. Get a good, plump, juicy raisin, and mash it down hard
onto the bait pan. Then set the trap. They can't get the raisin off without
springing the trap.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:38:28 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I do not mind extracting mice from spring loaded traps. (I
mentioned them dying from poinson because when poisoned, they tend to
die in unaccessible places). I will probably buy a few spring loaded
mouse traps in addition to mouse cubes.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

wrote:
[...]

Just a thought. You might want to remember that, once the mice figure out
that their food supply has disappeared, they will find food somewhere else.
They may move upstairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"Ignoramus26157" wrote in message
My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

A few years ago I would have said "Get a cat".
Then, I discovered my best hunting cat was depositing live mice in my
basement.
Apparently he wanted to have something to hunt when the weather turned cold
outside and decided to set up his own game preserve.

The spring traps work best, but vary your bait - use peanut butter on one,
cheese on one, fruit on another.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

wrote:
[...]

They may move upstairs.- Hide quoted text -

there are live mouse traps, trap door, like a havehart trap. work
well.

easily released mice outdoors. plus its humane

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

In article om, " wrote:

there are live mouse traps, trap door, like a havehart trap. work well.

They don't work worth a damn. Unless you enjoy trapping the same mice over and
over and over.

easily released mice outdoors. plus its humane

Humane, maybe, but stupid. Release them outdoors, and they're back indoors
within hours, if not minutes.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

In misc.survivalism JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Spring-loaded mouse trap baited with a bit of cracker & peanut butter.
Yeah...I know...you have to remove the dead mouse,

They are cheap enough to throw the whole thing into the bin.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"Bob Brock" wrote in message

[...]

Burn off the hair over the stove burner, then deep fry and serve with spicy
marinara sauce as a dip, like calamari.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

wrote:
[...]

.....bring in the spooky music here.....dum dum dum.....
:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:59:49 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
In article om, " wrote:

there are live mouse traps, trap door, like a havehart trap. work well.

They don't work worth a damn. Unless you enjoy trapping the same mice over and
over and over.

easily released mice outdoors. plus its humane

Humane, maybe, but stupid. Release them outdoors, and they're back indoors
within hours, if not minutes.

I am definitely going to kill them. Just a little of gasoline poured
into a mouse cube, works well.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:16:43 -0500, Ignoramus26157
wrote:

We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry"
down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which the
mice fed on.

We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse cube"
type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse. Kids
reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

I would prefer not to use poison for two reasons, one is that we have
a toddler, and another is that dead mice make big stink (don't ask me
how I know). I would prefer to either drive them away, or catch them.

Thanks

Decon, or mousetraps baited with peanut butter.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

Get a cat. You don't even have to get one permanently, you can borrow it,
lock it up in the basement at night with a limited amount of food and water
and let nature take its course. In a week the problem should be solved
unless the rodents have an entry point you have not located and neutralized.

"Doug Miller" a écrit dans le message de
t...
In article ,

wrote:

Decon, or mousetraps baited with peanut butter.

Raisins.

They can lick peanut butter off of the bait pan without springing the

trap.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:21:49 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Bob Brock" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Proper serving is a key. Bamboo skewer up the rectum and out the mouth
is the proper way.

Plus you can deep fry them on the skewer by simply dunking em into the
hot grease.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:21:49 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Bob Brock" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Great theater! Pu pu platter with mice!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

wrote in message
In misc.survivalism JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Spring-loaded mouse trap baited with a bit of cracker & peanut
butter.
Yeah...I know...you have to remove the dead mouse,

They are cheap enough to throw the whole thing into the bin.

Some people are sure squeamish.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article ,
Ignoramus26157 wrote:
We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry"
down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which
the
mice fed on.

We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse
cube"
type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse.
Kids
reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.

My question is how to get rid of them effectively.

The traditional method is still the best: spring traps.

Bait them with raisins. Get a good, plump, juicy raisin, and mash it
down hard
onto the bait pan. Then set the trap. They can't get the raisin off
without
springing the trap.

I had some old hard salami that worked very well for similar reason. I
sometimes got 2-3 mice per baiting.

..

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"chasseur" wrote in message
Get a cat. You don't even have to get one permanently, you can
borrow it,
lock it up in the basement at night with a limited amount of food
and water
and let nature take its course. In a week the problem should be
solved
unless the rodents have an entry point you have not located and
neutralized.

Cats just bring them home to play with.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

On Jun 14, 11:59 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article om, " wrote:

there are live mouse traps, trap door, like a havehart trap. work well.

They don't work worth a damn. Unless you enjoy trapping the same mice over and
over and over.

easily released mice outdoors. plus its humane

Humane, maybe, but stupid. Release them outdoors, and they're back indoors
within hours, if not minutes.

Thread reminds me time I told wife that I hated to trap and kill the
little mice because they were so cute. She said, if I didn't, they'ed
overrun the house.
Next day I was walking in park during soccer game thinking, those
Mexican kids are cute

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"Ignoramus26157" wrote in message
We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry"
down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which the
mice fed on.

We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse cube"
type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse. Kids
reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

I would prefer not to use poison for two reasons, one is that we have
a toddler, and another is that dead mice make big stink (don't ask me
how I know). I would prefer to either drive them away, or catch them.

Thanks

Winter before last the mice got into my grass seed and I think I had the
entire mouse population of the neighborhood feeding in my garage.

I bought two dozen spring loaded mouse traps and baited them with peanut
butter then set them around in my garage after cleaning up the remaining
grass seeds in there.

The first night I caught 8 mice. I tossed both the mice and the traps. The
next night I caught a few more and for the next few night I caught a few
more. I put fresh peanut butter on the remaining traps and caught one or two
more, than no more mice were caught or seen.

The traps are not very expensive and I certainly would not go through the
messy effort to save them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry"
down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which the
mice fed on.

We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse cube"
type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse. Kids
reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

I would prefer not to use poison for two reasons, one is that we have
a toddler, and another is that dead mice make big stink (don't ask me
how I know). I would prefer to either drive them away, or catch them.

Thanks

Put a cat down there. Don't feed it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:21:49 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I think your mistake was using only one trap. Use lots of them, next
to the walls and where you find their scat. Try to figure out their
paths and put them where they go.

The spring traps don't wear out, can be reused even if you catch one,
and certainly if you don't.

More below.

Spring-loaded mouse trap baited with a bit of cracker & peanut butter.
Yeah...I know...you have to remove the dead mouse, but this method
involves no poison and is very effective. Put on a pair of dishwashing
gloves when handling the dead mouse, and then wash your glove covered
hands with whatever liquid detergent you have around. Keep the toddlers
out of the basement until this is over.

Then there is the sticky traps that catch the mouse's feet. Of course
then you either have to let the mouse starve or kill him yourself.

You have to be careful picking these up. The mouse will stop
struggling after a minute or two, so when you get there he may seem
dead, but he still has plenty of life and quite a bite. Little jaws,
but strong for their size and the teeth are probably sharp. So don't
get your fingers there.

I used the boxes from frozen vegetables to pick them up. Kept my
fingers away from the mice and very easy to handle after they're
scooped up.

You can take the sticky traps outside and release the mouse by pouring
vegetable oil on the trap, at least the famous brand whose name I
forget and mabye all of the brands, but you'll have to take it far
away, much farther than you would think, or it will just come back
into your house.

Burn off the hair over the stove burner, then deep fry and serve with spicy
marinara sauce as a dip, like calamari.

Good with nachos.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

Bob F wrote:
"chasseur" wrote in message
Get a cat. You don't even have to get one permanently, you can
borrow it,
lock it up in the basement at night with a limited amount of food
and water
and let nature take its course. In a week the problem should be
solved
unless the rodents have an entry point you have not located and
neutralized.

Cats just bring them home to play with.

Depends on the cat. Some won't hunt even if you don't feed them, and
others will kill and eat every rodent that comes by even if you keep
catfood out all the time.

The wife and I had one old cat that loved to eat mice, but we'd always
find the same particular organ from the mouse innards laying where the
cat ate the mouse. Whatever organ it was, the cat didn't like it.

I always opt for cats to control rodents. I live out in the sticks and
rodents can be counted on to try to move in every fall, gotta have a
good cat.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

Ignoramus26157 wrote:
We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry"
down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which the
mice fed on.

We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse cube"
type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse. Kids
reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

I would prefer not to use poison for two reasons, one is that we have
a toddler, and another is that dead mice make big stink (don't ask me
how I know). I would prefer to either drive them away, or catch them.

Think cat. You can even borrow one.

--- begin quote

Towser - Glenturret's [Distillery, Scotland] World Famous Cat

Unfortunately, Towser, the famous Glenturret cat is no longer resident in
the still house.

During her long life, Towser broke records with her hunting prowess,
notching up 28,899 mice in her 24 years.

She is even immortalised in the Guinness Book of Records. Visitors can now
admire her statue, which was unveiled in 1995.

--- end quote

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:46:11 -0700, Bob F wrote:

wrote in message
In misc.survivalism JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Spring-loaded mouse trap baited with a bit of cracker & peanut
butter.
Yeah...I know...you have to remove the dead mouse,

They are cheap enough to throw the whole thing into the bin.

Some people are sure squeamish.

Lucky we have a cat that takes care of the few mice seeking a warmer
location when the weather here gets colder. He'll bring them to me as
trophies. And he brings them whole, not half eaten.

Tell him there are valuable nutrients in the brains, which is why some cats
eat just the head.

Or, leave him a note.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

wrote in message
In misc.survivalism JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Spring-loaded mouse trap baited with a bit of cracker & peanut
butter.
Yeah...I know...you have to remove the dead mouse,

They are cheap enough to throw the whole thing into the bin.

Some people are sure squeamish.

Lucky we have a cat that takes care of the few mice seeking a warmer
location when the weather here gets colder. He'll bring them to me as
trophies. And he brings them whole, not half eaten.

Tell him there are valuable nutrients in the brains, which is why some
cats
eat just the head.

Or, leave him a note.

Ick.

Seriously! Some trace substance that cats need in their diets, according to
my former cat's personal physician.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

"JohnM" wrote
Depends on the cat. Some won't hunt even if you don't feed them, and
others will kill and eat every rodent that comes by even if you keep
catfood out all the time.

The wife and I had one old cat that loved to eat mice, but we'd always
find the same particular organ from the mouse innards laying where the
cat ate the mouse. Whatever organ it was, the cat didn't like it.

I always opt for cats to control rodents. I live out in the sticks and
rodents can be counted on to try to move in every fall, gotta have a
good cat.

John

I have TWO good cats. Both are hunters, the smaller one is the best
huntress. She even has captured a few squirrels.
I too live out in the sticks, and they keep the rodent population down to
almost nothing.

Mine will bring home a critter that is still kicking now and then but if we
praise them with "Good Kitty, mighty hunter!" and then tell them to take it
outside, surprisingly they do.
I think they believe they are offering a gift of food for the family.Mine
also leave just that one organ....

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

In article , "Kate" wrote:

I think they believe they are offering a gift of food for the family.

I've heard that before, too. Sounds reasonable.

Mine also leave just that one organ....

Mine leaves the kidney. Easy identification: it's about the same shape and
color as ... wait for it ... a kidney bean. No kidding.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

I've heard that cats bring home live mice in an attempt to teach us to
hunt. They feel sorry for our pathetic, obviously under-developed
abilities to snag our own food (or even to recognize freshly caught
mice as food, although that apparently doesn't apply to everyone on
this NG) and, as they would for kittens, try to help out by bringing
prey for us to work with.

Incidentally, it has been proven that well-fed cats actually catch
more mice, because the cats are in better condition, more energetic,
better athletes, etc. It's counterproductive to any mouse-eradication
goals to not feed a cat you hope will catch mice. If you've ever seen
a picture of the famous Towser referenced earlier, he was one pudgy
guy.

Also, it's absolutely true that some cats catch mice and some don't.
It's handed down from parents to kittens. Those trained as kittens
(see first paragraph) become good mousers, those that aren't, don't.
Although I have two excellent mousers now (and a couple dogs who'll
pitch in, as well), I once had a cat that wouldn't even chase a mouse,
much less catch it.

Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

first thing is harden and seal your home so more mice cant get in.
even a tiny opening is a highway for them. once more cant get in a
humane livetrap with release outdoors will end the reentries.

its just like the mexico us border, make it as hard as possible to
leak in and DONT provide a ready food source. when you catch more than
2 mice in your home they were likely born there. with food they
multiply fast....
2 begets 20 begets 2000
in a matter of weeks

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

The FIRST thing you should do is go around the outside of your house and
plug any hole that a mouse could possibly get through, and mice can get
through some pretty tiny holes. Otherwise they'll be back :-/

Ignoramus26157 wrote:

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

I'd secure food throughout the house now. Put some traps in the kitchen.
More than one type of trap is required to catch the smarter ones.

I would prefer not to use poison for two reasons, one is that we have
a toddler, and another is that dead mice make big stink (don't ask me
how I know).

You may still get a stink if the babies lose their mother. Try not to
think about it when you go to bed at night ;-D

I would prefer to either drive them away, or catch them.

Those ultra sonic devices actually work. Although when first using it on
an area infested with roaches there can later be a surge after the eggs
hatch, which leads some people to think it doesn't work :-/ wont' stop
you from carrying pests into your house either. Won't drive the mice out
if they can't get out.

I remember this one mouse that was unstoppable. Trap after trap he
avoided, yet the signs were there. I knew him. I had seen him! I'd be
watching TV in the dark at 2 am and see him scurry across the living
room floor and disappear into the central heating vent. Freekin bold
little *******. So one night I waited up for him with the BB gun. He
knew something was up as he paused at the den entrance. He then stood on
his hind legs just as my mother approached behind him when she saw me
with the BB gun. I was unmoved and took the shot. I heard a squeak from
the mouse and my mother as the mouse vanished into the shadows, leaving
only a tiny trail of blood which led to his writhing corpse on the
kitchen closet floor, right next to the cornflakes and Aunt Jemima
pancake syrup. His reign of terror was over.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

Ignoramus26157 wrote:
We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry"
down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which the
mice fed on.

We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse cube"
type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse. Kids
reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

I would prefer not to use poison for two reasons, one is that we have
a toddler, and another is that dead mice make big stink (don't ask me
how I know). I would prefer to either drive them away, or catch them.

Thanks

I have a a couple snakes that resides under my house

We do have to be careful when heading out to the backyard . The snakes
keeps out of our way , we keep out of their way .

Works for us

Getting Rid of Mice in Basement [email protected] Home Repair 55 February 19th 07 02:57 PM
Help! We have mice tessa Home Repair 37 November 2nd 06 03:05 PM
mice brianlanning Woodworking 42 February 5th 06 09:42 PM
Mice Bill UK diy 62 January 7th 05 07:23 PM
Re Re mice Paul Mc Cann UK diy 3 December 27th 04 01:02 PM