Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dip tube question

I suspect the dip tube in my water heater has failed. Is it practical to
replace the tube? After years in various houses this is the first time this
has happened.
The tank in question is eight years old. Repair or replace? I don't know the
make off hand. The tank is in an inconvenient place.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 3:51?pm, "Charlie Bress" wrote:
I suspect the dip tube in my water heater has failed. Is it practical to
replace the tube? After years in various houses this is the first time this
has happened.
The tank in question is eight years old. Repair or replace? I don't know the
make off hand. The tank is in an inconvenient place.

Charlie

so why do you belive the dip tube is bad? gas or electric tank?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Bress wrote:
I suspect the dip tube in my water heater has failed. Is it practical to
replace the tube? After years in various houses this is the first time this
has happened.
The tank in question is eight years old. Repair or replace? I don't know the
make off hand. The tank is in an inconvenient place.

Charlie

Yes it can be practical. Other factors are gas or electric, water
conditions, accessibility, and skill level.
Go he
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2esavf

For a tank that old, you may have difficulty in removing the inlet
pipe and of course you will need clear access above to get the new
dip tube in. There are solutions to all those problems.
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Bress" wrote:

I suspect the dip tube in my water heater has failed. Is it practical to
replace the tube? After years in various houses this is the first time this
has happened.
The tank in question is eight years old. Repair or replace? I don't know the
make off hand. The tank is in an inconvenient place.

Theoretically, yes. You disconnect the supply line at the tank, then try to
remove the nylon dip tube or what's left of it. Practically, I've never seen it
done. Unless the tank is brand new, the fitting is usually corroded enough that
it isn't possible to remove the tube. You'd probably have to get a replacement
tube direct from the manufacturer as well.

While 8 years is on the lower side of the expected life of a water heater, I'd
just replace the whole thing. If you did it yourself it shouldn't cost more than
$400 or so, depending on size and how skilled you are. Electric is simpler than
gas to deal with, as with gas you need to make sure you don't have any gas leaks
afterwards and that you haven't screwed up the venting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
. ..
I suspect the dip tube in my water heater has failed. Is it practical to
replace the tube? After years in various houses this is the first time

this
has happened.
The tank in question is eight years old. Repair or replace? I don't know

the
make off hand. The tank is in an inconvenient place.

It is always incontinent to get to the dip tube, but it is very possible and
a DIY job.

While you are at it, check your anode.

Instructions are he http://waterheaterrescue.com/

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 6:50?pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
"Charlie Bress" wrote in message

. ..

I suspect the dip tube in my water heater has failed. Is it practical to
replace the tube? After years in various houses this is the first time

this
has happened.
The tank in question is eight years old. Repair or replace? I don't know

the
make off hand. The tank is in an inconvenient place.

It is always incontinent to get to the dip tube, but it is very possible and
a DIY job.

While you are at it, check your anode.

Instructions are hehttp://waterheaterrescue.com/

--
Roger Shoaf

on a 8 year old tank its not worth the hassle.

say 400 bucks for a new tank vs a all day hassle where its likely you
will still need a new tank when your done.

crud builds up in tanks, new tanks better energy efficency too

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
While you are at it, check your anode.

Instructions are he http://waterheaterrescue.com/

--
Roger Shoaf
If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in the

solvent.

on a 8 year old tank its not worth the hassle.

say 400 bucks for a new tank vs a all day hassle where its likely you
will still need a new tank when your done.

crud builds up in tanks, new tanks better energy efficency too

I guess that depends a lot on water chemistry. I have several water heaters
in my rental units that are pushing 25 years of age and when I have checked
the anodes they are fine. These are nothing special, they are the cheap 30
gallon models.

Seems to me that tossing a water heater that only needs a dip tube and still
has an anode suggests that the tank is probably OK. If on the other hand
when the anode is pulled there is nothing left of the sacrificial material
then the tank is probably well on its way out.

I don't know what you do for a living, but even if it took you all day to
disconnect three connections drain the tank, drag the sucker into the back
yard and pulled the anode, if I found at that point that all I needed was a
new dip tube I would be perfectly happy leaving that $370 in my checking
account as a reasonable wage for my effort.

If I found upon inspection that I needed to replace the thing at that point,
all I am out is the time it took to inspect the old one.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 9:52�pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

they come up with this striped stuff.- Hide quoted text -

my opinion is based on the fact that most tanks here last 8 to 10
years tops. so his 8 year tank here is already has one foot on banana
peel the other in grave, really old tanks like yours may well last
longer than ones produced in the last 15 years or so, and here a new
nice tank from home depot is 350 bucks, my best friend bought a sears
close out 40 gallons NG for 270 bucks last year when sears closed the
repair stores nationwide.

So its way less than 800 bucks, DIY, if he is willing to replace the
dip tube then installing a new tank is easy.

The OP doesnt say why he believes the dip tube is bad, one guess is
poor quantity of hot water, which mght be a dip tube, but may also be
corrosion built up in the tank. manufacturs largely fixed the dip tube
troubles years ago.

the economics of tank replacement. assume DIY 400 bucks or pro install
800 bucks, 10 year average tank life, cost per year 40 or 80 bucks,
less than a nice candy bar a week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

my opinion is based on the fact that most tanks here last 8 to 10
years tops. so his 8 year tank here is already has one foot on banana
peel the other in grave, really old tanks like yours may well last
longer than ones produced in the last 15 years or so...

OK, what would you opinion be if upon inspection the anode was good on an 8
year old tank?

Have you ever pulled an anode on a water heater?

Sure but if 100 in parts will give him 18 years more service then how do
those economics figure in comparison to yours?

So its way less than 800 bucks, DIY, if he is willing to replace the
dip tube then installing a new tank is easy.

New dip tube less than $50.

The OP doesnt say why he believes the dip tube is bad, one guess is
poor quantity of hot water, which mght be a dip tube, but may also be
corrosion built up in the tank. manufacturs largely fixed the dip tube
troubles years ago.

Dont you think that if you had the water heater empty and sitting on the
floor in your garage that you might be able to look at the anode and peek in
the holes on top and perhaps make a better judgement of the condition of the
tank than making assumptions based only on the age of the tank?

the economics of tank replacement. assume DIY 400 bucks or pro install
800 bucks, 10 year average tank life, cost per year 40 or 80 bucks,
less than a nice candy bar a week.

I agree with you to a point. Where we disagree is I believe that with
preventitive maintenance it is very likly that you can reasonably expect a
water heater to last 20 or 30 years. Removing sediment, and replacing the
sacrificial anode when necessary is going to make that happen.

If you factor in the time value of the money, getting 2 to 3 times the life
out of a water heater buys a new TV set and a good one at that.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Charlie Bress" wrote:

I suspect the dip tube in my water heater has failed. Is it practical to
replace the tube? After years in various houses this is the first time this
has happened.
The tank in question is eight years old. Repair or replace? I don't know the
make off hand. The tank is in an inconvenient place.

You don't HAVE to have a dip tube at all. I removed mine when I
installed the then new heater because I plumbed the cold water inlet
into the drain connection. All that the dip tube does is introduce cold
watewr at the bottom of the tank.

--
Committees of Correspondence Web page: www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

If you factor in the time value of the money, getting 2 to 3 times the life
out of a water heater buys a new TV set and a good one at that.

I think the problem is that if you consider the money value of time, you can
spend a couple of hours replacing a tank and know that you've reset the clock
for another 10-15 years, or you could spend a saturday pulling the tank, looking
at the anode and dip tube, replacing one or both, replacing the tank and not
knowing if you'll be revisiting the another problem 6 months down the road.

Not saying you can't do it - just that for some people spending the maintenance
time may not be worth it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nick Hull" wrote in message

You don't HAVE to have a dip tube at all. I removed mine when I
installed the then new heater because I plumbed the cold water inlet
into the drain connection. All that the dip tube does is introduce cold
watewr at the bottom of the tank.

Nick,

If you were to record the performance of a water heater with and without a
dip tube, you would see why this is an absurd assertion.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Nick Hull" wrote in message
You don't HAVE to have a dip tube at all. I removed mine when I
installed the then new heater because I plumbed the cold water inlet
into the drain connection. All that the dip tube does is introduce cold
watewr at the bottom of the tank.

Nick,

If you were to record the performance of a water heater with and without a
dip tube, you would see why this is an absurd assertion.

Roger,
Read for comprehension. Nick did a non-standard installation by
plumbing the cold water inlet into the drain valve connection.
Essentially, he has the "ultimate" dip tube. He just doesn't have a
way to deal with the sediment. Trade-offs for everything.
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

I believe in maintaing things, but like things to work well too.

HATE failures at inconvenient times My job requires when things I
jump.

So I replace my HW tank every 9 to 10 years before it fails.

Pick nice warm day, of my choosing starting first thing in AM, with
all day to handle whatever troubles come up.

Otherwise I find the basement flooded at midnite, no hot shower in AM,
on a already busy day.

When something cost 40 bucks per year why mess around?

If I get that tank to last another few years it might save 5 bucks a
year, thats meaningless in comparison to a BIG hassle!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:51:22 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
wrote:

I suspect the dip tube in my water heater has failed. Is it practical to
replace the tube? After years in various houses this is the first time this
has happened.
The tank in question is eight years old. Repair or replace? I don't know the
make off hand. The tank is in an inconvenient place.

Charlie

Might want to check if a recall is in place for your water heater.
Contact the manufacturer.

tom @ www.FreeCreditReportAdvice.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

the one dip tube I replaced, yes, it was in a bad location. I was
fortuate, able to tilt the dip tube and slip it in, diagonal.
Thread the nipple back on, and then sweat in a brass union.

The ceiling was lower than I am tall, and it was a real pain in
the anode.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
:
: "Charlie Bress" wrote in message
: . ..
[...]
: --
: Roger Shoaf
: If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in
the solvent.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

The one dippy tube I got cost ten bucks. Another ten or so for
the brass union (expensive!) and then a couple hours labor. And
about a week to get my confidence level up.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

[...]
: About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in
the tube, then
: they come up with this striped stuff.
:
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dip tube question (replumbed, but how to drain the tank?)

How do you drain sediment? Did you put a second valve down there?
No, come to think of it, that wouldn't help. Unless you turned
off the shutoff to the house. Gravity drain it.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
: In article ,
: "Charlie Bress" wrote:
:
[...]
: Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
How do you drain sediment? Did you put a second valve down there?
No, come to think of it, that wouldn't help. Unless you turned
off the shutoff to the house. Gravity drain it.

Instructions are he http://waterheaterrescue.com/

Yes, those instructions work great, but if you plumbed it the way
Nick said he did (reminder: cold water inlet to the drain valve
fitting, which is the post he's referring to) then Stormin's
question makes more sense. Just how does he drain the sediment? Or
does he worry about it at all?

BTW, I've installed one the Randy's curved dip tubes (from the
referenced site) and drain valve and it does seem to improve the
efficiency and the ability to flush the tank is way easier.
--
Grandpa

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 5:29?pm, Grandpa wrote:
Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
How do you drain sediment? Did you put a second valve down there?
No, come to think of it, that wouldn't help. Unless you turned
off the shutoff to the house. Gravity drain it.

Instructions are hehttp://waterheaterrescue.com/

Yes, those instructions work great, but if you plumbed it the way
Nick said he did (reminder: cold water inlet to the drain valve
fitting, which is the post he's referring to) then Stormin's
question makes more sense. Just how does he drain the sediment? Or
does he worry about it at all?

BTW, I've installed one the Randy's curved dip tubes (from the
referenced site) and drain valve and it does seem to improve the
efficiency and the ability to flush the tank is way easier.
--
Grandpa

Many years ago I removed the anodes, dip tube and drain valve,
converting a HW tank to a water storage tank I put on hill for my mom,
it supplied garden water from a natural spring. ended up getting some
fittings welded back on.

it worked great till she moved, and there was enough pressure to run a
oscillating sprinkler or wash cars, stuff like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That web page said nothing about the matter at hand.

Would you give me a link to a page telling how to drain sediment
from a WH tank, when the drain faucet at the bottom is used for
the water input?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
:
: "Stormin Mormon" wrote in
message
: ...
: How do you drain sediment? Did you put a second valve down
there?
: No, come to think of it, that wouldn't help. Unless you
turned
: off the shutoff to the house. Gravity drain it.
:
: Instructions are he http://waterheaterrescue.com/
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Would you give me a link to a page telling how to drain sediment
from a WH tank, when the drain faucet at the bottom is used for
the water input?

It's not rocket science... Water can flow through a pipe in either direction.
Use a T with the vertical part going into the tank. One side of the T is your
supply, the other is the drain. Inline shutoff valves on both sides.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lets see. Now, if you open the drain, the water flows from the
cold water supply, through the Tee, and out the drain. So, tell
me how you get the sediment out of the tank, since the cold
water goes right out the drain, without going into the WH?

With the conventional setup, the water comes in through the dip
tube, and out the drain. at least the conventional, water flows
through the WH during sediment draining.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
: "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
:
: Would you give me a link to a page telling how to drain
sediment
: from a WH tank, when the drain faucet at the bottom is used
for
: the water input?
:
: It's not rocket science... Water can flow through a pipe in
either direction.
: Use a T with the vertical part going into the tank. One side of
the T is your
: supply, the other is the drain. Inline shutoff valves on both
sides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

-----

In article ,
Charlie Bress wrote:
I suspect the dip tube in my water heater has failed. Is it practical to
replace the tube? After years in various houses this is the first time this
has happened.
The tank in question is eight years old. Repair or replace? I don't know the
make off hand. The tank is in an inconvenient place.

Charlie

In my area water heaters typically last at least twice the age of yours.
It may be difficult to replace the tube, particularly if there is little
headroom over the water heater, but woukd be worth the cost savings if
you could get another 8 or more years out of the heater.
Why do you think it has "failed?" It is just a piece of tubing or pipe.
The only one I have ever seen was one unintentionally removed when
unscrewing a fitting from a heater I was replacing. It was made of plastic.
I can't imagine what would make one fail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Lets see. Now, if you open the drain, the water flows from the
cold water supply, through the Tee, and out the drain. So, tell
me how you get the sediment out of the tank, since the cold
water goes right out the drain, without going into the WH?

With the conventional setup, the water comes in through the dip
tube, and out the drain. at least the conventional, water flows
through the WH during sediment draining.

I didn't say it was the smart way - only that it was possible. Presumably any
sediment gets carried out by gravity.

The only reason I could see plumbing the tank this way would be a short term
work around to a broken dip tube, so maybe sediment isn't a concern...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Lets see. Now, if you open the drain, the water flows from the
cold water supply, through the Tee, and out the drain. So, tell
me how you get the sediment out of the tank, since the cold
water goes right out the drain, without going into the WH?

With the conventional setup, the water comes in through the dip
tube, and out the drain. at least the conventional, water flows
through the WH during sediment draining.

I didn't say it was the smart way - only that it was possible.
Presumably any
sediment gets carried out by gravity.

The only reason I could see plumbing the tank this way would be a short
term
work around to a broken dip tube, so maybe sediment isn't a concern...

Reading this discussion, I am wondering what the need for the dip tube is in
the first place. Why not have the cold water inlet at the bottom of the WH?
Perhaps an inch or two above the bottom so it could flush any sediment. The
drain could be set 90º or so away from the inlet. There probably would have
to be a backflow preventer before the inlet, but I don't *think* that would
be a big deal.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

Makes too much sense. No one would build such an intelligent
design.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
: "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 16:32:44 GMT, "Marilyn & Bob"
wrote:

Reading this discussion, I am wondering what the need for the dip tube is in
the first place. Why not have the cold water inlet at the bottom of the WH?

Maybe they like both pipes being at the top, near the ceiling.

I didn't know dip tubes failed, so maybe they should reconsider.

Perhaps an inch or two above the bottom so it could flush any sediment. The
drain could be set 90º or so away from the inlet. There probably would have
to be a backflow preventer before the inlet, but I don't *think* that would
be a big deal.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Reading this discussion, I am wondering what the need for the dip tube is in
the first place. *Why not have the cold water inlet at the bottom of the WH?

Maybe they like both pipes being at the top, near the ceiling. *

I didn't know dip tubes failed, so maybe they should reconsider.

Perhaps an inch or two above the bottom so it could flush any sediment. *The
drain could be set 90º or so away from the inlet. *There probably would have
to be a backflow preventer before the inlet, but I don't *think* that would
be a big deal.
--
Peace,
BobJ- Hide quoted text -

dip tubes today rarely fail, after some bad times years ago when they
first went to plastic dip tubes, previously they were copper.

plus the swirl shape of most dip tubes helps keep the bottom of the
tank clean