Don

Default Water heater dip tube replacement

i have a 50 gallon a0 smith tank that I think has a dip tube problem.
I have read somewhere about replacing the dip tube with 3/4 inch
copper pipe. Is this hard to do and how does the pipe attach to the
top of the tank?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

( By the way I missed that lawsuit so I cant get any help from that.)
I think my tank was manufactured in 96 or 97.)
Joel Corwith

"Don" wrote in message
m...
i have a 50 gallon a0 smith tank that I think has a dip tube problem.
I have read somewhere about replacing the dip tube with 3/4 inch
copper pipe. Is this hard to do and how does the pipe attach to the
top of the tank?

The dip tubes that I have seen are typically a plastic. Depending on the
height of your tank, the tip tube is likely taller than your ceiling height.
Is the cold water supply hard pumbed? If so, you get to unsolder those
joints just to get at the dip tube. On most WH the manufacturer year is the
first numbers of the serial number a9752532111ayz would be an 1997 (though
not always the case). Depending on water conditions and the brand of WH,
7-10 years is a pretty good life.

I take it you're getting cold 'hot' water?

Joel. phx

Any help is greatly appreciated!

( By the way I missed that lawsuit so I cant get any help from that.)
I think my tank was manufactured in 96 or 97.)

Blackbeard

You can make your own dip tube using 1/2" pipe. Use a flaring tool and
flare one end. The unflared end goes into the tank. The flared end is
what prevents the whole piece from dropping into your tank. This will
work for replacing a dip tube. However, the folks at A.O. Smith
discourage the use of homemade dip tubes. If you're in a pinch, you
can make your own. If you can spare a few days, visit your plumbing
supply house and have them order a new dip tube (make sure you have
the make/model of the water heater so they order the right one.)

On 1 Mar 2004 05:49:15 -0800, (Don) wrote:

i have a 50 gallon a0 smith tank that I think has a dip tube problem.
I have read somewhere about replacing the dip tube with 3/4 inch
copper pipe. Is this hard to do and how does the pipe attach to the
top of the tank?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

( By the way I missed that lawsuit so I cant get any help from that.)
I think my tank was manufactured in 96 or 97.)

Jeff Wisnia

Don wrote:
i have a 50 gallon a0 smith tank that I think has a dip tube problem.
I have read somewhere about replacing the dip tube with 3/4 inch
copper pipe. Is this hard to do and how does the pipe attach to the
top of the tank?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

( By the way I missed that lawsuit so I cant get any help from that.)
I think my tank was manufactured in 96 or 97.)

If you're short on overhead space and don't want to have to drain and
tip the tanl over (or punch a hole through the ceiling G) there are
multi-section dip tubes available for replacement use. check with a
plumbing supply house.

Good Luck,

Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

to blame it on."

SRF

For mine, I just went to the plumbing supply store and bought a new plastic
one. Has a flared end, drops right in. The old one I took out was broken
off about 4" from the top.

Steve.

"Don" wrote in message
m...
i have a 50 gallon a0 smith tank that I think has a dip tube problem.
I have read somewhere about replacing the dip tube with 3/4 inch
copper pipe. Is this hard to do and how does the pipe attach to the
top of the tank?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

( By the way I missed that lawsuit so I cant get any help from that.)
I think my tank was manufactured in 96 or 97.)

RB

What does AO Smith find that is wrong with a home made (copper) dip tube?

RB

Blackbeard wrote:
[...]

combi vs conventional Colin eclipse 2 UK diy 243 December 25th 05 07:41 PM
Water mains leak? mich UK diy 37 July 14th 04 10:58 AM
Immersion heater problems - cost or replacement Shugal UK diy 4 July 7th 04 10:25 AM
electric water heater mmzz UK diy 4 January 6th 04 10:20 AM