mich

Default Water mains leak?

I think , I do not know , its just a think , that I may have a leak in my
mains coming into my house. This think is based on a number of issues with a
dripping tap in the kitchen CW ( refitting washers and still taps drip a
couple of days later) and the fact that when I flushed the tap pipe I have
got gravel out on two occasions now, despite cleaning the tap system. Fixed
stop cock washer but still dripping ( again). There is a peculiar hiss (
only audible in the bathroom when the windows are open unfortunately).

So, really I dont know if I have a leak or not!
Anyone know how I can find out without digging up a 300 long x 20 wide (
yards) driveway ( best guess as to where the pipe in runs somewhere right
through the middle). There is no sign anywhere of water leaking as such.

Also have been told water board may be able to locate the leak if it exists
but does anyone know how much they are likely to charge me?

In general , anyone been here and had this problem?

mich

"BillV" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

If the water company (no boards for a decade or so)

I am old! Hence water board, but I do know they are now companies.

discover you have a leak
on yr side of their stopcock then they are likely to inform you they will
cut you off with x days if not fixed.
Get the company's stopcock for your house, normally in the street, turned
off for a short while to see if the hissing stops; if it does then you

have
to pay for the fix on your side.
Friend had to dig 30' of front garden down 2' to expose pipe so it could

be
replaced. Pipe is cheap but labour is not. Water Co connected new pipe to
their stopcock for no charge. This was in Essex..

I have an added problem now.Since the morning I have dug down outside the
house where it comes into the stop cock and found it is iron pipe. This must
be water pipe since I have no other mains coming in ( electric overhead and
no gas at all) .

The main road stop cock is a very old one ( still has water board written
on it). However, the break might be on my side ot it might be in the lane
and I cant tell. There are also three stop cocks before you get to the
house. One in the road, one in the lane and one outside my kitchen door.
There is a fourth that feeds the outside ( now ex) prep room and outside
loo.
Either way I guess I am going to have to renew the lot since I dont think
you can repair or patch into iron pipe?

Anyone can give the definitive answer on this.

By the way my house is 1950's rural smallholding bungalow. I have the plans
but I cant see water mains marked on it.

BillV

"mich" wrote in message
[...]

If the water company (no boards for a decade or so) discover you have a leak
on yr side of their stopcock then they are likely to inform you they will
cut you off with x days if not fixed.
Get the company's stopcock for your house, normally in the street, turned
off for a short while to see if the hissing stops; if it does then you have
to pay for the fix on your side.
Friend had to dig 30' of front garden down 2' to expose pipe so it could be
replaced. Pipe is cheap but labour is not. Water Co connected new pipe to
their stopcock for no charge. This was in Essex..

Michael Mcneil

"mich" wrote in message

Either way I guess I am going to have to renew the lot since I dont think
you can repair or patch into iron pipe?

You have poor quality water supply and that is not your fault so get the
water board or whatever the criminals that gained pecunary advantage
under the cons are called these days to fix that. If they find a leak
you only have yourself to blame for making waves. You don't seem to have
more proof of a leak than the symptoms of tinitis.

If the situation is causing low pressure the fault may still be in the
supply. One thing for sure is that the leaking taps have nothing to do
with the pipes they fit on. That is most likely due to their seats being
worn. More especially if they are grinding on detritus not H2O.

If you are an illegal immigrant with no husband and 25 kids they will be
around in a flash to fix it whatever the problem. If you are an elderly
war hero with a VC and 25 campaign medals, forget it.

Richard

"mich" wrote in message

"BillV" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

[...]

Iron pipes can be repaired/patched. The main supply pipe in our lane has
been patched many times. That is the problem with repairing old pipe it is
just a matter of waiting till the next leak starts.

To find a leak a listening rod is a very effective tool. You could make one
up yourself quite easily. A crow bar with a 3" metal plate tacked to the
blunt end makes a serviceable tool. The plate is held covering one ear and
the other end is pressed onto the ground near to where the pipe is. Then
move the device to where the leak sounds loudest. You can now use it as a
probe and if close to the leak it will penetrate easily.

It is not always necessary to dig up for a complete pipe run. Water
companies and some private contractors use mole machinery. The ground
surface is only disturbed with a smallish hole every 25 yards or so. The
mole being re-aimed from there to the next one.

If the leak is on your property get several quotes for the work. Your water
company will give you a price over the phone based on so much per metre plus
connecting. This will give you a starting point for judging other quotes.
They will be wide ranging and you may even get "special offers for cash if
done at the weekend".

Richard.

Mortimer

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message news:533c8a35261790091fba446227a3bcf1.45219@mygat e.mailgate.org...
"mich" wrote in message

[...]

I discovered a leak years ago in my old house, when it was quiet I
could hear a definite hiss.Suggest you make sure everything to do with
your water supply is turned off then go to any pipes outside (near the
stopcocks?) you can get at, hold one end of a wooden or metal rod to
your ear and place the other end on the pipe, you should be able to
hear if any water is running. My leak was caused by a lead pipe
settling over a brick and splitting.
Rick Dipper

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:13:36 +0100, "mich" wrote:

"BillV" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

[...]

Sir

Its not too expensive, I put 180 metres in in 2 days, the digger
including driver cost 15 quid an hour. You don't have to put the pipe
in the drive, it might be much easier up the middle of the lawn ...

Rick

Broadback

"BillV" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

[...]

Another possibility comes to mind. If you don't use much water then
maybe a water meter would be viable. Have the water meter installed
next to the water suppliers stop cock, if with all your taps etc turned
off then the meter should not move, if it does there is a leek your side
of the pipe.
Downside if there is a fast leek until it is fixed you will be paying
for water that you don't use, though most house insurances cover that
these days.

--
Please reply to the Newsgroup.
All emails sent to this address are automatically deleted.
Alex

"BillV" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

[...]

Just so you know, some water companies will fix leaks for free. Thames Water
for instance offer a service where they will test for leaks between the
stopcock and the wall of the house (and fix if found) for no charge. In my
case, the leak was so small they replaced the entire aging pipe run with
25mm MDPE for no charge, using a mole to pull the pipe through, meaning only
3 holes were needed for a 100ft pipe run.

Maybe worth checking?

Alex

mich

"BillV" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

[...]

I have thought about other possibilities for running the pipe but the
positioning of the kitchen may have a lot to dictate it. Thank you for the
suggestion though. I am open to all ideas.

Another possibility comes to mind. If you don't use much water then
maybe a water meter would be viable. Have the water meter installed
next to the water suppliers stop cock, if with all your taps etc turned
off then the meter should not move, if it does there is a leek your side
of the pipe.
Downside if there is a fast leek until it is fixed you will be paying
for water that you don't use, though most house insurances cover that
these days.

I am on septic tank drainage and land drains onto my own land ( that sounds
grand but it isnt really - my own land is a field I own and the house is in
a second smaller field in front of it. Even the water board ( oops sorry
company - SWW by the way) tell me a water meter would not be cost effective
for me since I am not mains drainage.
My supply only of mains water costs about £115 a year this year.

Bill

In message , mich
writes
I think , I do not know , its just a think , that I may have a leak in my
mains coming into my house. This think is based on a number of issues with a
dripping tap in the kitchen CW ( refitting washers and still taps drip a
couple of days later) and the fact that when I flushed the tap pipe I have
got gravel out on two occasions now, despite cleaning the tap system.

Just a thought, if the hole in the pipe was big enough to let gravel in
then it would be letting an awful lot of water out. You would probably
have spotted it by now. More likely a repair was done sometime in the
past and the gravel entered the system then.
--
Bill
gribblechips

"BillV" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

[...]

This happened with our supply too - Anglian water in our case. We did not
even ask them - a surveying team was doing the whole area, checking the
pipes between stopcock and house. Took up a couple of squares of block
paving on the garden path and pulled the new pipe through at no charge.

Make some "general" enquiries first!

Will

---

Broadback

mich wrote:

SNIP

I am on septic tank drainage and land drains onto my own land ( that sounds
grand but it isnt really - my own land is a field I own and the house is in
a second smaller field in front of it. Even the water board ( oops sorry
company - SWW by the way) tell me a water meter would not be cost effective
for me since I am not mains drainage.
My supply only of mains water costs about £115 a year this year.

That puzzles me, I am also not on main drainage, but the water meter has
nothing whatsoever to do with mains drainage. The water meter simply
measures the water you use, and charges accordingly, as oposed to a
standard charge for whatever water you use. So if you use little water
your
bill will reduce, ours did. Severn Trent Water though.

--
Please reply to the Newsgroup.
All emails sent to this address are automatically deleted.
mich

"Broadback" wrote in message
mich wrote:

SNIP

I am on septic tank drainage and land drains onto my own land ( that

sounds
grand but it isnt really - my own land is a field I own and the house is

in
a second smaller field in front of it. Even the water board ( oops sorry
company - SWW by the way) tell me a water meter would not be cost

effective
for me since I am not mains drainage.
My supply only of mains water costs about £115 a year this year.

That puzzles me, I am also not on main drainage, but the water meter has
nothing whatsoever to do with mains drainage. The water meter simply
measures the water you use, and charges accordingly, as oposed to a
standard charge for whatever water you use. So if you use little water
your
bill will reduce, ours did. Severn Trent Water though.

I was told by SWW that the water meter charge per litre included a fixed
cost for disposal of said waste ( sewerage), since I was disposing of my own
sewerage I would be charged for something I did not get. I also dont get
charged for surface water this way ( I have my own land drains taking all
surface and storm water on the property)

Their calculations further showed that my household water requirements would
cost more by meter than by rateable ( or whatever its called now ) value. ie
metred water would cost me more than £115 a year so it was not a suitable
alternative for me - even though I do not have a large household - myself
and partner.

I cant say as I am a skin flint with water. I dont like the idea of being
afraid to flush or clean or have a bath ( although we also have a shower). I
know people locally who pay far more than I do with water meters (same kind
of households) and they have kittens if you visit and ask to use the loo!
I am not a fan of water meters.

I fear they will come to us all, but until that day I will keep the old
system.

I checked this with one of those online calculator things and found the
same answer _ I would not benefit from a water meter.

Chris Doran

Broadback wrote in message ...
mich wrote:

SNIP

I am on septic tank drainage and land drains onto my own land ( that sounds
grand but it isnt really - my own land is a field I own and the house is in
a second smaller field in front of it. Even the water board ( oops sorry
company - SWW by the way) tell me a water meter would not be cost effective
for me since I am not mains drainage.
My supply only of mains water costs about £115 a year this year.

That puzzles me, I am also not on main drainage, but the water meter has
nothing whatsoever to do with mains drainage. The water meter simply
measures the water you use, and charges accordingly, as oposed to a
standard charge for whatever water you use. So if you use little water
your
bill will reduce, ours did. Severn Trent Water though.

ISTR from a Thames Water leaflet say that the drainage portion of the
bill is based on a "what goes in must come out" assumption and that
they'll give you get a reduction if this isn't true in your case. My
latest bill actually tells me how much I could save if surface water
didn't go into their drains.

They will also search for leaks free. In my case they found a HUGE one
because the cowboys they hired to fit my meter used the wrong size
fitting.

Chris

IMM

"Chris Doran" wrote in message
Broadback wrote in message

mich wrote:

SNIP

[...]

If you don't have mains drainage they reduce the water charge.

mich

"IMM" wrote in message

"Chris Doran" wrote in message
Broadback wrote in message

mich wrote:

SNIP

[...]

Interesting , but SWW didnt say that to me. In fact they said quite the
opposite.

In this instance, since I have evidence to the contrary, I will stick with
what I do have. Sorry.

mich

"IMM" wrote in message

"Chris Doran" wrote in message
Broadback wrote in message

mich wrote:

SNIP

[...]

For the record, when I was on a water meter in my last house ( sewerage and
all ) I was paying over over £300 a year. I think £115 is a good price and
am not quibbling.
I believe SWW is expensive, its all the cleaning up they have to do after
the emmets and grockles and all the sea quality they have to deal with, not
to mention a fair bit of their owm mismanagement over the years.

Broadback

mich wrote:

Snip
the emmets and grockles and all the sea quality they have to deal with, not
to mention a fair bit of their owm mismanagement over the years.

As a Somerset man if I'd known you were Cornish I'd not deighned to
reply. ;-)

--
Please reply to the Newsgroup.
All emails sent to this address are automatically deleted.
mich

"Broadback" wrote in message
mich wrote:

Snip
the emmets and grockles and all the sea quality they have to deal with,

not
to mention a fair bit of their owm mismanagement over the years.

As a Somerset man if I'd known you were Cornish I'd not deighned to
reply. ;-)

I am not Cornish ( Plymouthian - exiled to Cornwall ;-)

--
Please reply to the Newsgroup.
All emails sent to this address are automatically deleted.

IMM

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Chris Doran" wrote in message
Broadback wrote in message

mich wrote:

SNIP

[...]

You are one who should be sorry as you are paying more. Contact them again.

IMM

"mich" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
mich wrote:

Snip
the emmets and grockles and all the sea quality they have to deal

with,
not
to mention a fair bit of their owm mismanagement over the years.

As a Somerset man if I'd known you were Cornish I'd not deighned to
reply. ;-)

I am not Cornish ( Plymouthian - exiled to Cornwall ;-)

You have my sympathies.

mich

"IMM" wrote in message

Broadback wrote in message
mich wrote:

You are one who should be sorry as you are paying more. Contact them

again.

You're too late , I did this morning. Iwould be paying far more on a water
meter. Thats official.

mich

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
mich wrote:

Snip
the emmets and grockles and all the sea quality they have to deal

with,
not
to mention a fair bit of their owm mismanagement over the years.
As a Somerset man if I'd known you were Cornish I'd not deighned to
reply. ;-)

I am not Cornish ( Plymouthian - exiled to Cornwall ;-)

You have my sympathies.

This is a nice place to live. I am proud to be Plymouthian and happy to live
in Cornwall.

If this place were so bad then the rest of the country wouldnt be trying to
move here would they? They wouldnt come on holiday here either would they?

The proof of the pudding is in the eating and we eat good puddings.

mich

Broadback wrote in message

mich wrote:

They will also search for leaks free. In my case they found a HUGE one
because the cowboys they hired to fit my meter used the wrong size
fitting.

It seems SWW will give you one hour labour free to locate a leak. They will
make a repair to the main on your private property free of charge
providing this is a first repair to that main ( seems some mains must go
more than once!) and the property is a private domestic household ( not
commercial and not council/housing association etc).

I await their arrival.

Thaks to all for the advice.

IMM

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

Broadback wrote in message
mich wrote:

You are one who should be sorry as you are paying more. Contact them

again.

You're too late , I did this morning. Iwould be paying far more on a water
meter. Thats official.

Dio they give a reduced rate for no sewers?

IMM

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
mich wrote:

Snip
the emmets and grockles and all the sea quality they have to deal

with,
not
to mention a fair bit of their owm mismanagement over the years.
As a Somerset man if I'd known you were Cornish I'd not deighned to
reply. ;-)

I am not Cornish ( Plymouthian - exiled to Cornwall ;-)

You have my sympathies.

This is a nice place to live. I am proud to be Plymouthian and happy to

live
in Cornwall.

If this place were so bad then the rest
of the country wouldnt be trying to
move here would they?

I don't know anyone rushing to live down there.

They wouldnt come on holiday here either would they?

I thought that all ended when we learnt sense all went abroad where they
have excellent proper hotels with swimming pools, excellent service, and
showers are standard in each room and sun.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating and we eat good puddings.

mich

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
mich wrote:

Snip
the emmets and grockles and all the sea quality they have to

deal
with,
not
to mention a fair bit of their owm mismanagement over the years.
As a Somerset man if I'd known you were Cornish I'd not deighned

reply. ;-)

I am not Cornish ( Plymouthian - exiled to Cornwall ;-)

You have my sympathies.

This is a nice place to live. I am proud to be Plymouthian and happy to

live
in Cornwall.

If this place were so bad then the rest
of the country wouldnt be trying to
move here would they?

I don't know anyone rushing to live down there.

Well every house that has come up for sale in this village for the last two
years has been sold to an incomer from either Essex, London or the
Midlands. This has been an ongoing trend in the area for even longer, so
whether you know them or not, people are moving. They also push the prices
up well out of the reach of locals now. Average three bed terraced Victorian
house in Plymouth, unmnodernised and with a courtyard garden is about £135K

They wouldnt come on holiday here either would they?

I thought that all ended when we learnt sense all went abroad where they
have excellent proper hotels with swimming pools, excellent service, and
showers are standard in each room and sun.

Nah mate. They may go to sunny climes but they are down here every weekend
all year round in their holiday come second homes - until they decide to
move in full stop.

You need to keep up with the times.

IMM

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
mich wrote:

Snip
[...]

Well get them to allow you to build on those boring subsidised fields down
there. And also allow developers to build homes. It is obvious that the
supply side is lacking. Don't whinge at people from Essex, do something to
get the housing stock up in quality, function and numbers.

They wouldnt come on holiday here either would they?

I thought that all ended when we learnt
sense all went abroad where they
have excellent proper hotels with swimming
pools, excellent service, and
showers are standard in each room and sun.

Nah mate. They may go to sunny climes
but they are down here every weekend
all year round in their holiday come second
homes

And so they should. I see they don't use the local hotels and but their
own. Very wise. If you had decent hotels outsiders wouldn't be forced to buy
house down there.

I recall taking a foreign girl down there once. I contacted the tourist
board for a hotel. The hotel was dire, the worst I have ever stayed at, and
on their list. A total embarrassment for me and the UK. I tried to get out
but couldn't get another decent hotel around. Anything that is cheapo in
Spain or France costed a fortune down there. I wrote a snotty letter to the
local tourist board for giving me a bum steer, and never received a reply. I
regard the West Country as a total embarrassment to the UK, they still think
rationing is on. You deserve Essex people.

- until they decide to
move in full stop.

You need to keep up with the times.

I do, I go abroad. The people are nicer. Ever had a Cornishman speak to you
unless he wanted your money?

mich

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

You need to keep up with the times.

I do, I go abroad.

Good for you! I'm glad.

The people are nicer. Ever had a Cornishman speak to you
unless he wanted your money?

They speak to me all the time. My nearest neighbour is a Cornishman ( one
of the few locals left) and my partner is half Cornish ( his other half is
channel Isles)

IMM

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

You need to keep up with the times.

I do, I go abroad.

Good for you! I'm glad.

Millions of us are satisfied.

The people are nicer. Ever had a Cornishman speak to you
unless he wanted your money?

They speak to me all the time. My nearest neighbour is a Cornishman ( one
of the few locals left) and my partner is half Cornish ( his other half

is
channel Isles)

No wonder they are all skint down there. They ruined their own tourist
industry by providing appalling hotel conditions and service and charging
the earth for it. So people went elsewhere. And they all whinge all the
time.

mich

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

You need to keep up with the times.

I do, I go abroad.

Good for you! I'm glad.

Millions of us are satisfied.

The people are nicer. Ever had a Cornishman speak to you
unless he wanted your money?

They speak to me all the time. My nearest neighbour is a Cornishman (

one
of the few locals left) and my partner is half Cornish ( his other

half
is
channel Isles)

No wonder they are all skint down there. They ruined their own tourist
industry by providing appalling hotel conditions and service and charging
the earth for it. So people went elsewhere. And they all whinge all the
time.

You really think they are skint? There might be a few but you havent been
down here recently.
- like the Scottish they plead poverty at every turn and tight a*sed

IMM

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

[...]

The South West, Devon/Cornwall are supposed to be the poorest parts of the
UK. High unemployment, etc.

- like the Scottish they plead poverty at every turn and tight a*sed

That I do believe.

mich

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

The South West, Devon/Cornwall are supposed to be the poorest parts of the
UK. High unemployment, etc.

Seasonal employment, part time employment and minimum wage employment - yes
that seems to be so.
I have also heard the story about rural poverty, but I think its localised _
Camborne, Redruth, St.Austell tend to be rather run down
Truro is very well heeled!
SE Cornwall and N.Cornwall coast equally so.

However, the stats conflict because we are also apparently the most cash
rich part of the country ( fewer people with mortgages and more with dosh in
the bank.). There is a very big gap between rich an poor where I live and
nothing in the middle.

Owain

"mich" wrote
| The South West, Devon/Cornwall are supposed to be the poorest
| parts of the UK. High unemployment, etc.
| Seasonal employment, part time employment and minimum wage
| employment - yes that seems to be so.
| I have also heard the story about rural poverty, but I think
| its localised _ Camborne, Redruth, St.Austell tend to be rather
| run down
| Truro is very well heeled!
| SE Cornwall and N.Cornwall coast equally so.
| However, the stats conflict because we are also apparently the most
| cash rich part of the country ( fewer people with mortgages and more
| with dosh in the bank.). There is a very big gap between rich an
| poor where I live and nothing in the middle.

One reason why there may be fewer people with mortgages is because property
is too expensive for many local people, especially first time buyers, to buy
on a mortgage, and incomers/downsizers are more likely to be paying cash.

Local shops aimed at the affluent middle classes, no cheap supermarkets, and
inadequate and expensive public transport, can contribute to poverty in ways
that show up in statistics but aren't as visible as they would be in urban
areas.

Owain

Andy Hall

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:26:58 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"mich" wrote in message

If this place were so bad then the rest
of the country wouldnt be trying to
move here would they?

I don't know anyone rushing to live down there.

I would imagine that the populations of Devon and Cornwall will be
very relieved to hear that.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

combi vs conventional Colin eclipse 2 UK diy 243 December 25th 05 07:41 PM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
Contemplating unvented Indirect hot water upgrade vortex2 UK diy 21 December 3rd 03 11:51 PM
Additional instantaneous hot water units connected to combi boilers Vince UK diy 1 November 7th 03 10:15 AM
Mains water pressure issues. Peter UK diy 8 September 20th 03 02:10 PM