mich

Default Water mains leak?

"IMM" wrote in message

"Chris Doran" wrote in message
Broadback wrote in message

mich wrote:

SNIP

I am on septic tank drainage and land drains onto my own land ( that

sounds
grand but it isnt really - my own land is a field I own and the

house
is in
a second smaller field in front of it. Even the water board ( oops

sorry
company - SWW by the way) tell me a water meter would not be cost

effective
for me since I am not mains drainage.
My supply only of mains water costs about £115 a year this year.

That puzzles me, I am also not on main drainage, but the water meter

has
nothing whatsoever to do with mains drainage. The water meter

simply
measures the water you use, and charges accordingly, as oposed to a
standard charge for whatever water you use. So if you use little

water
your
bill will reduce, ours did. Severn Trent Water though.

ISTR from a Thames Water leaflet say that the drainage portion of the
bill is based on a "what goes in must come out" assumption and that
they'll give you get a reduction if this isn't true in your case. My
latest bill actually tells me how much I could save if surface water
didn't go into their drains.

They will also search for leaks free. In my case they found a HUGE one
because the cowboys they hired to fit my meter used the wrong size
fitting.

If you don't have mains drainage they reduce the water charge.

For the record, when I was on a water meter in my last house ( sewerage and
all ) I was paying over over £300 a year. I think £115 is a good price and
am not quibbling.
I believe SWW is expensive, its all the cleaning up they have to do after
the emmets and grockles and all the sea quality they have to deal with, not
to mention a fair bit of their owm mismanagement over the years.