gribblechips

Default Water mains leak?

"Alex" wrote in message
"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:13:36 +0100, "mich" wrote:

"BillV" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

If the water company (no boards for a decade or so)

I am old! Hence water board, but I do know they are now companies.

discover you have a leak
on yr side of their stopcock then they are likely to inform you they

will
cut you off with x days if not fixed.
Get the company's stopcock for your house, normally in the street,

turned
off for a short while to see if the hissing stops; if it does then

you
have
to pay for the fix on your side.
Friend had to dig 30' of front garden down 2' to expose pipe so it

could
be
replaced. Pipe is cheap but labour is not. Water Co connected new

pipe
their stopcock for no charge. This was in Essex..

I have an added problem now.Since the morning I have dug down outside

the
house where it comes into the stop cock and found it is iron pipe. This

must
be water pipe since I have no other mains coming in ( electric

overhead
and
no gas at all) .

The main road stop cock is a very old one ( still has water board

written
on it). However, the break might be on my side ot it might be in the

lane
and I cant tell. There are also three stop cocks before you get to the
house. One in the road, one in the lane and one outside my kitchen

door.
There is a fourth that feeds the outside ( now ex) prep room and

outside
loo.
Either way I guess I am going to have to renew the lot since I dont

think
you can repair or patch into iron pipe?

Anyone can give the definitive answer on this.

By the way my house is 1950's rural smallholding bungalow. I have the

plans
but I cant see water mains marked on it.

Sir

Its not too expensive, I put 180 metres in in 2 days, the digger
including driver cost 15 quid an hour. You don't have to put the pipe
in the drive, it might be much easier up the middle of the lawn ...

Rick

Just so you know, some water companies will fix leaks for free. Thames

Water
for instance offer a service where they will test for leaks between the
stopcock and the wall of the house (and fix if found) for no charge. In my
case, the leak was so small they replaced the entire aging pipe run with
25mm MDPE for no charge, using a mole to pull the pipe through, meaning

only
3 holes were needed for a 100ft pipe run.

Maybe worth checking?

Alex

This happened with our supply too - Anglian water in our case. We did not
even ask them - a surveying team was doing the whole area, checking the
pipes between stopcock and house. Took up a couple of squares of block
paving on the garden path and pulled the new pipe through at no charge.

Make some "general" enquiries first!

Will

---